Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 10, 2008
Bunbury
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Tottenham
Cold Chisel are awesome.

'East' is a great album and one of Australia's best IMO. It just captures something about Australia.

East, Diesel and Dust, and Born Sandy Devotional are very very Australian albums and some of my favourite of all time.

Mark Knopfler is a phenomenal guitarist, one of the best of all time. People bagging Dire Straits probably only know of their popular stuff like Money for Nothing and not their back catalogue.

That probably goes for most people and their opinions in this thread.. it's like thinking the Beatles are only about Love Me Do and Taxman or something

JimmyBeerCans

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Bring Back the Bars
May 6, 2013
Hell
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
As a halfassed guitarist myself I can respect Knoffler's ability but it's a bit like my thoughts on Clapton they are gifted musicians but manage to be as boring as batshit 99.9 percent of the time.

Did he elaborate on why?
His style is very different, lots of subtlety and ghost notes (quieter notes) and lots of almost percussive muted notes in there. Able to play extremely fast, or with intense feeling, inflections such as holding notes just a fraction longer than most or pausing before bending a string which adds a lot to a songs. Switches between rhythm and lead effortlessly, and a whole bunch of music theory that will just sound like mumbo jumbo. It's mainly the fact he plays without a pick which allows him to pick 2 or 3 or 4 strings at the same time as well as add a ton of different little parts to his playing.

He can easily keep up with the Satrianis of the world but instead chooses to give the songs just what they need rather than playing fast for the sake of it to show off.

revo333

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 7, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Look I'm no expert, but I would think it has a lot to do with Knoffler not using a plectrum much.

It intrigues me because my mate who is miles better then me can't play some of the stuff i write because the way i strum is to hard for him to replicate.

Mar 9, 2007
Way over yonder across the hill
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Burnie United FC, Cheddar AFC
As a halfassed guitarist myself I can respect Knoffler's ability but it's a bit like my thoughts on Clapton they are gifted musicians but manage to be as boring as batshit 99.9 percent of the time.
I rate Clapton much higher. The stuff he put out in the '60's and early '70's is genuinely great.

Mar 9, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
His style is very different, lots of subtlety and ghost notes (quieter notes) and lots of almost percussive muted notes in there. Able to play extremely fast, or with intense feeling, inflections such as holding notes just a fraction longer than most or pausing before bending a string which adds a lot to a songs. Switches between rhythm and lead effortlessly, and a whole bunch of music theory that will just sound like mumbo jumbo. It's mainly the fact he plays without a pick which allows him to pick 2 or 3 or 4 strings at the same time as well as add a ton of different little parts to his playing.

He can easily keep up with the Satrianis of the world but instead chooses to give the songs just what they need rather than playing fast for the sake of it to show off.
One of my favourite guitarists is Jeff Beck. He has is own unique style and also does not use a pick.

Completely different style of player to Knopfler though.

One of my favourite guitarists is Jeff Beck. He has is own unique style and also does not use a pick.

Completely different style of player to Knopfler though.
Beck is awesome as well, his style is really weird for lack of a better term. But still amazing and one of those players where you can identify its him straight away.

Mar 9, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Beck is awesome as well, his style is really weird for lack of a better term. But still amazing and one of those players where you can identify its him straight away.
And he can move effortlessly from blues to jazz to hard rock and back again. Phenomenal player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aug 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Cold Chisel are awesome.

'East' is a great album and one of Australia's best IMO. It just captures something about Australia.

East, Diesel and Dust, and Born Sandy Devotional are very very Australian albums and some of my favourite of all time.

Mark Knopfler is a phenomenal guitarist, one of the best of all time. People bagging Dire Straits probably only know of their popular stuff like Money for Nothing and not their back catalogue.

That probably goes for most people and their opinions in this thread.. it's like thinking the Beatles are only about Love Me Do and Taxman or something

I’ve gone back to Chisel recently and there are some gems on their albums other than the singles, Taipan etc. Ian Moss is a great player to listen to.

And couldn’t agree more about Knofler, never gets talked about but he’s slick as they come. Does he even use a pick? I’ve always thought of him doing that finger and thumb stuff.

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
No Code has some great songs for sure. Present Tense, Who You Are and Around The Bend are some of my favourites.

Love the general vibe of that LP - really chilled and kind of zen. Nice roadtrip soundtrack.

Oct 20, 2004
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Pompey
Yeah my brother in law is a very good guitarist but finds Knoffler's style impossible.
It's because (guitarist here) he finger-picks the strings, which is really really rare for rock guitar. It means totally different right hand movements - because you then use your fingers (individually) to play each string, as opposed to the thumb and the wrist which really dominates when using a pick. It also means that me can switch between strings very, very, very rapidly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back