Unpopular Musical Opinions

Remove this Banner Ad

I'll give it a go. Not sure if I have it though.

I know there are a few bands I love that everyone seems to hate.

Editors
Editors were my younger brother's first favourite band. In my last year or two at home he worshiped their debut. Being a bass guitarist he got into postpunk like Joy Division a little earlier than I did, took me a few more years to find the ear for it.

I'm going through the Beatles songs and the only ones I'm liking are those by Harrison. I reckon he's the best beatle.

He and Lennon were more abstract in their approaches, but McCartney was the more consistent and candid songwriter in the Beatles. Just churned out relatable classic songs album after album.

I really liked Harrison's spiritual bent and love of Indian music though.

I get that Mcartney writes mellow music but I find the majority of his work completely uninspiring. You get to Harrison and everything is upbeat. Lennon tends to write the nice songs

Maybe I need to be 80 to appreciate Mcartney, I don't know.

We can work it out - Lennon, Mcartney (lame and uninspiring)
Woman Lennon (good)
Hold your hand, Lennon, Mcartney (Lame)
And I Love her (Lame)
Yellow Submarine, Lennon, Mcartney (Marginally ok)
Don't let me down, Lennon, Mcartney (Average)
Penny Lane, Lennon, Mcartney (Average)
Hello Goodbye, Mcartney (OK)
A day in the life (Good)
STrawberry fields forever (ok)
Ticket to ride (lame)

Famous artists or bands continuing to perform live way past their used by date.
For example, AC/DC should have quietly retired once Malcom Young could no longer perform (although his nephew was a decent replacement), but then unbelievably continuing after Brian Johnston's forced retirement with a washed-up Axl Rose as the new front-man, was just sad - reminded me of the last time I saw Bob Dylan live which was just a mumbling incoherent mess, with older folks around me often asking; 'what song is this?'...

Famous artists or bands continuing to perform live way past their used by date.
For example, AC/DC should have quietly retired once Malcom Young could no longer perform (although his nephew was a decent replacement), but then unbelievably continuing after Brian Johnston's forced retirement with a washed-up Axl Rose as the new front-man, was just sad - reminded me of the last time I saw Bob Dylan live which was just a mumbling incoherent mess, with older folks around me often asking; 'what song is this?'...

As a hardcore AC/DC fan, this isn't unpopular (though it is with me).

Most were disgusted with Axl/CD, but I thought it was pretty cool. After all, Guns n Roses started off playing a lot of AC/DC covers in their garage days.

Also, Axl isn't washed up anymore. The performances of the Not In This Lifetime tour are very good, best he's sounded since the 90s. I was very impressed.

I've had enough of "Hurricane" too, for the same reason as you and I love The Bob.

He can be an acquired taste for some people and not everybody gets it. He did change the face of rock music. Forget about any best of or greatest hits albums, check out Bringing It All Back Home and Highway 61 Revisited, or maybe Blonde On Blonde.
Speaking of unpopular opinions, I just don't get the love for Blonde On Blonde. 4th Time Around is excellent. Visions of Johanna and Sad Eyed Lady of the Lowlands are nice - but both meander on for too long.

Speaking of unpopular opinions, I just don't get the love for Blonde On Blonde. 4th Time Around is excellent. Visions of Johanna and Sad Eyed Lady of the Lowlands are nice - but both meander on for too long.
There's a few on the album that don't go on too long: "Sooner Or Later (One Of Us Must Know)", "I Want You", "Stuck In Mobile With The Memphis Blues Again", "Absolutely Sweet Marie", "Just Like A Woman".

Then again, he's not for everyone. I think Blonde On Blonde is one of his best, but not the best.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anthrax are lucky to be considered part of the big 4, I think it's really because of their relationship with the Metallica guys. Exodus and Testament are far better bands in my opinion, Anthrax have some good tracks but are generally a bit silly I think.

Editors were my younger brother's first favourite band. In my last year or two at home he worshiped their debut. Being a bass guitarist he got into postpunk like Joy Division a little earlier than I did, took me a few more years to find the ear for it.
The Editors debut album holds up quite well IMO.

I went through Dylans best hits and maybe I don't get it (His style, lyrics etc) but I really only liked Everybody must get stoned. I don't think it's the voice because I quite like Bob Geldof. relistening to his song Don't like Mondays, it has a lot of complexity and varying style to it. Back on Dylan, I absolutely hate Hurricane. For years I was forced to listen to 102.3 in Adelaide and thought that was his only hit.

Maybe someone can sell Dylan to me so I can get what you're on about

I love how this was only a month ago and you now have a Dylan avatar.

Overplayed or not, I don't mind Hurricane (I feel like classic rock radio stations have calmed down on it from a few years' ago), and think Desire is a pretty underrated album, just overshadowed by its immediate predecessor. Isis, One More Cup of Coffee and Sara are all in Dylan's top echelon.

Desire is a pretty underrated album, just overshadowed by its immediate predecessor. Isis, One More Cup of Coffee and Sara are all in Dylan's top echelon
I never really got into Desire that much. I don't mind it, but I wouldn't have it anywhere near my Bob Top 10. Blood On The Tracks though, sits easily inside that list.

Take a Look Around by Limp Bizkit is one of the great rock songs of the last 30 years.
Anyone who disagrees is simply listening to it wrong.

You have to listen to it as a 128kbps MP3 downloaded from Napster - playing on Winamp with a sick Fred Durst skin and all the EQ sliders jacked up.

fred.PNG

Remove this Banner Ad

Back