Unpopular Musical Opinions

Remove this Banner Ad

What Deep Purple line up was it?

I would've loved to have seen Free.
It was 1971 just near the start of my footy season. Don't know the lineup but it was whoever was in the band that did Deep Purple in Rock. Still a favourite.
I had no idea who Free were but Paul Rodgers was fantastic as were Kossof, Fraser and Kirke. I went out and bought their album, Fire and Water a couple of days later and wore it out. Manfred Mann was unbelievable on the keyboards. Part of the problem was that Deep Purple kept having solo breaks where everyone except whoever was playing disappeared of stage. I remember a 15 min drum solo at about 2 am.

Don't know the lineup but it was whoever was in the band that did Deep Purple in Rock. Still a favourite.
Yeah that's the classic mk2 line-up: Gillan, Blackmore, Lord, Glover and Paice.
Part of the problem was that Deep Purple kept having solo breaks where everyone except whoever was playing disappeared of stage. I remember a 15 min drum solo at about 2 am.
I guess that was an indulgence for many of the bands around that time. Drum solos wear out their welcome for me at around the 60-90 second mark. No matter how good the drummer (and Ian Paice is awesome).
I had no idea who Free were but Paul Rodgers was fantastic as were Kossof, Fraser and Kirke. I went out and bought their album, Fire and Water a couple of days later and wore it out.
Hell of an album. Hell of a band. Criminally underappreciated.

Last edited:
It was 1971 just near the start of my footy season. Don't know the lineup but it was whoever was in the band that did Deep Purple in Rock. Still a favourite.
I had no idea who Free were but Paul Rodgers was fantastic as were Kossof, Fraser and Kirke. I went out and bought their album, Fire and Water a couple of days later and wore it out. Manfred Mann was unbelievable on the keyboards. Part of the problem was that Deep Purple kept having solo breaks where everyone except whoever was playing disappeared of stage. I remember a 15 min drum solo at about 2 am.
Blackmore is one of the greats but more often than not he was far too loose, which made him boring and sometimes embarrassing. Made In Japan was by far the best of his work that I've listened to, and I've probably watched and listened to more than most people ever will. The rest of the band (Mk2) were always great.

I agree on the drum solos, only long one I've ever liked was Grand Funk (Don Brewer) from their live album but I could listen to most other (rock) instruments play for hours.

So, unpopular opinion is that Don Brewer's solo on GFR's live album is the best rock drum solo (that I've heard). It's also an underrated album in general, although the production doesn't cut it by today's standards, but I'm pretty sure that was intentional to make it more 'live'.

Hair Metal is an unfairly maligned genre and many of the bands associated with it were already maturing their sound by the time grunge made it big and killed it off. There's some very good rock music to come out of that late 80s to mid 90s period from groups that were already seen as on the out, probably better than the stuff released when popular.

Hair Metal is an unfairly maligned genre and many of the bands associated with it were already maturing their sound by the time grunge made it big and killed it off. There's some very good rock music to come out of that late 80s to mid 90s period from groups that were already seen as on the out, probably better than the stuff released when popular.
I can think of only 2 good hair metal songs. Panama by Van Halen and Motley Crue's Kickstart My Heart. I hate pretty much all of it and its part of the dark decade of music which is the 80s. The pop of that time was poo too. Synthesisers have not dated well.

I can think of only 2 good hair metal songs. Panama by Van Halen and Motley Crue's Kickstart My Heart. I hate pretty much all of it and its part of the dark decade of music which is the 80s. The pop of that time was poo too. Synthesisers have not dated well.

Synthesisers are back in, at least for TV, Film, and Video Game composing.

Also I don't count Van Halen as hair metal, always had their own distinct sound since their debut in 1978, before hair metal kicked off.

Last edited:
If we are we including bands like Guns & Roses, Def Leppard, Whitesnake etc as Hair Metal, because if so, I can think of more than 2 good songs.

Thing that is overlooked about that era is a lot of them were bloody good musicians. A band like Stryper, once you get past the religious stuff, you realise they are insanely talented.

I'd argue the music that came out mid-90's was far poorer technically - stuff like Green Day, Offspring, Bush, Everclear, etc. Nice songs, but most hair bands could play them in their sleep.

If we are we including bands like Guns & Roses, Def Leppard, Whitesnake etc as Hair Metal, because if so, I can think of more than 2 good songs.

Thing that is overlooked about that era is a lot of them were bloody good musicians. A band like Stryper, once you get past the religious stuff, you realise they are insanely talented.

I'd argue the music that came out mid-90's was far poorer technically - stuff like Green Day, Offspring, Bush, Everclear, etc. Nice songs, but most hair bands could play them in their sleep.

I think GnR also have a more classic hard rock sound. Whitesnake like Def Leppard were originally part of the British Heavy Metal movement but shifted styles a bit, so borderline.

I'm talking pure hair metal, like Poison, Warrant, Ratt, Skid Row, Stryper, etc.

Even Bon Jovi has a more distinct style that was like a watered down pop Bruce Spingsteen (he also seen the writing on the way and changed sound just enough to remain popular).

Also I don't count Van Halen as hair metal, always had their own distinct sound sounds their debut in 1978.
Spot on. Van Halen were simply a great hard/heavy rock band. One of the very best U.S bands of all time IMHO (especially the Roth-era albums).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But Roth was the epitome of what hair metal represented. All about California, girls, big hair, pouts. You can be a great hard/heavy rock band and also a hair band.
I think he may have inadvertently created the prototype front man for a hair metal band, but Van Halen weren't hair metal.

I think he may have inadvertently created the prototype front man for a hair metal band, but Van Halen weren't hair metal.
I think we're getting into 'is Die Hard a Christmas movie' territory here. Plenty of signs that Van Halen were hair metal, but the general feeling suggests they were a bit removed from it in the truest sense.

When hair metal really took off, Van Halen almost subverted it and became a synthy pop band. Contrary to popular belief, hair bands didn't really use synth, pretty much just Bon Jovi.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

But Roth was the epitome of what hair metal represented. All about California, girls, big hair, pouts. You can be a great hard/heavy rock band and also a hair band.
There's definitely cross over. AC/DC's Fly on the Wall could be a hair metal album, but they aren't a hair band.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

The 80s was stellar just for the advent of post-punk.

On SM-G970W using BigFooty.com mobile app

There is no such thing as hair metal. Anyone who was around at the time, does not use that term.
Very true. I never ever referred to Poison or Warrant as hair metal. I simply regarded them as crap.

Starting to think Foals' Antidotes would have been better without Yannis' singing. Not sure if it was just poor mixing, which was a consistent theme of the LP, or the vocal tapes were just NQR but that couple with the mostly pointless lyrics makes me think the album would have been better instrumental.

When I was a kid the big legends of past decades that I knew of their names were Beatles, John Lennon, Elvis etc etc like they were the legends of the music industry and no doubt they were. Elvis and Lennon were kind of dead before I really was old enough to understand but people raved about them. I remember even as a teenager even people of my own generation might listen to the Beatles music but never really grabbed me. Knew they were famous and talented but always felt it was overdone and probably because of the death of John Lennon being shot.
But in last year seen some old music from before my time on youtube and discovered Bee Gees actually were around when Beatles were still around.

If I was forced to live on an island with no other music but a choice between Beatles or Bee Gees it is not even a close race. Bee Gees by length of Flemington straight...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back