Unpopular Musical Opinions

Remove this Banner Ad

Not disagreeing with you right to not like them but Cobain’s ability write a melody was nothing short of amazing.I think too often when we assess musicians we overlook the vocal structure of their songs. Not the quality of his voice - it’s very polarising - but the tune his voice is actually singing. In Bloom is one of the best melodies of any song I’ve ever heard

His guitar work while far from being Eric Johnson or Ritchie Blackmore, was actually very good for such a homespun guitarist, and novolselic’s bass lines bounced off it perfectly.

I don’t really know what separates Eddie vedder’s songwriting from Cobain’s - I like Eddie Vedder too but they wrote about different things and I don’t see one as being more meritorious than the other.

Watch some of Rick Beato’s videos about nirvana and peel back some of the layers as they’re dissected by an expert. I think you’ll be surprised at some of the complexities.
I agree, but have you seen his videos on Black and Jeremy? Jeremy especially, its like a symphony. An unbelievable song.

Eddie Vedder inspired a generation of singers seeking to mimic his voice. I don't think he oversings myself, think he has one of the best voices in rock.

If Cobain hadn't died, they probably would have faded from the mainstream like Pearl Jam, but wouldn't have handled it as well. Would have broken up, I reckon, so Foo Fighters still a likelihood. Grohl was too talented and driven to remain a drummer.

Eddie Vedder inspired a generation of singers seeking to mimic his voice. I don't think he oversings myself, think he has one of the best voices in rock.

If Cobain hadn't died, they probably would have faded from the mainstream like Pearl Jam, but wouldn't have handled it as well. Would have broken up, I reckon, so Foo Fighters still a likelihood. Grohl was too talented and driven to remain a drummer.

Agreed . Amazing voice.

but i wonder what would have happened if Kurt Cobain lived. Would Foo Fighters have existed? would Nirvana become irrelevant like U2 are now?

He would of been another Axl Rose, I doubt he would of recorded another album or maybe just spent the next 15 years recording a new one like Axl did.

He would of been another Axl Rose, I doubt he would of recorded another album or maybe just spent the next 15 years recording a new one like Axl did.
Ironic as he hated Axl. Axl quite liked Nirvana and Kurt but Kurt gave him donuts whenever Axl wanted to help them out early before they got massive.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

Eddie Vedder oversings everything like the dude from Creed does so i think they are very similar (not in a good way)
Nirvana just kills them, but i wonder what would have happened if Kurt Cobain lived. Would Foo Fighters have existed? would Nirvana become irrelevant like U2 are now?
Unpopular opinion, I haven't really listened to U2 since the Vertigo album with the silly long name, but when what I do hear, their recent albums could be alright based on the singles.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

Eddie Vedder oversings everything like the dude from Creed does so i think they are very similar (not in a good way)
Nirvana just kills them, but i wonder what would have happened if Kurt Cobain lived. Would Foo Fighters have existed? would Nirvana become irrelevant like U2 are now?
Ten Vedder yes, but since then his voice has changed significantly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Californication is RHCP's best album.

You always get those DHs that name Blood Sugar Sex Magik as their best album and can't name more than two or three good songs off that album.

Californication is wall to wall good songs, it's a masterpiece.

May have mentioned this in here before, a long time ago, but it made me think of it again hearing one of their songs. Can’t stand Nirvana. They get so pumped up as this amazing grunge band that changed the landscape of rock music in the early 90s. They’re trash. Musically it’s so basic and boring, and lyrically, it’s childish and doesn’t even make sense (a mosquito, my libido, what genius!!) I am a big pearl jam fan,
Pearl Jam are nothing special either.

ha ha.
Not even close to Blood Sugar Sex Magik
It is a decent album but nowhere near as good.

Why is Blood Sugar Sex Magik better?

Under the Bridge, Breaking the Girl and Give it Away were all good songs but the rest of the songs were pretty much garbage.

They were a much better band by the time they released Californication, every song off that album was good and a few of them were masterpieces.

The only masterpiece off BSSM was Under the Bridge,

Why is Blood Sugar Sex Magik better?

Under the Bridge, Breaking the Girl and Give it Away were all good songs but the rest of the songs were pretty much garbage.
ha ha, Your taste is so lame and average. Sounds like you never had the album.
Played that one over a million times in the 1990's.
Funky Monks
Sir Psycho Sexy
Suck My Kiss and so much more.
******* Awesome album
One of funkiest rock albums you could ever hope to hear.

Pink Floyd : The Wall is really a Roger Waters solo album...
More so the next one.
The Wall is one of the finest rock albums made in history, a true masterpiece, so it gets a pass.
The Final cut on the other hand, is, even compared to The Wall, over indulgent incoherent rubbish.

Californication is RHCP's best album.

You always get those DHs that name Blood Sugar Sex Magik as their best album and can't name more than two or three good songs off that album.

Californication is wall to wall good songs, it's a masterpiece.

Californication ...good songs, garbage production. For a long time it was the most distorted over compressed album ever made.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back