Unpopular Musical Opinions

Remove this Banner Ad

Ahh sh*t... drunk, reminiscing plugger has now invaded the thread.
I sense he does it if he drunk himself.
Drunk reminiscing plugger is still better than Nick Cave.

This is the only Nick Cave song I rate.

I don't rate any of his stuff. I do rate a drunk reminiscing Plugger more than Nick Cave.

I saw Dando play a solo gig at the Old Melbourne in Perth. There was hardly anyone there. Before he went on he was sitting at a table on his own eating a bag of chips.

I kick myself that I never went up to him to say G'day. Even if he told me to fk off it would have been a good story.

Why is Blood Sugar Sex Magik better?

Under the Bridge, Breaking the Girl and Give it Away were all good songs but the rest of the songs were pretty much garbage.

They were a much better band by the time they released Californication, every song off that album was good and a few of them were masterpieces.

The only masterpiece off BSSM was Under the Bridge,

Mate I can’t tell you one song of californication aside from the title track for the simple reason that, like every song they’ve written since, they’re all the same. Some rapid fire delivery piece with a staccato high-one-the-neck sequence of guitar chords and a funk progression on the bass. While some of them are undoubtedly catchy and have a decent melody it’s just the most repetitive era of music from a highly regarded band that I can recall.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just knew you would select his most popular accessible song. I mean, it’s a good song, but it lends itself to the notion it’s the only song you’ve actually heard of his. Except the duet with Kylie :$

I've heard more than a couple of his songs, enough of them to know he's overrated.

Don’t know exactly that this would be unpopular but Tex Perkins is the coolest man ever to record music in Australia.

I’d deadset nearly turn for him

He's a Saints supporter so that adds weight to your opinion.

Mate I can’t tell you one song of californication aside from the title track for the simple reason that, like every song they’ve written since, they’re all the same. Some rapid fire delivery piece with a staccato high-one-the-neck sequence of guitar chords and a funk progression on the bass. While some of them are undoubtedly catchy and have a decent melody it’s just the most repetitive era of music from a highly regarded band that I can recall.

I prefer Californication overall. Not sure if it's partly just nostalgia, but Kiedis was at his peak as a lyricist and the whole flow of the album is perfect. Definitely not as bombastic or virtuosic as BSSM though.

I prefer Californication overall. Not sure if it's partly just nostalgia, but Kiedis was at his peak as a lyricist and the whole flow of the album is perfect. Definitely not as bombastic or virtuosic as BSSM though.

I just can’t get around it hey.

I can see why people liked it - it’s catchy and some of the melodies are really well written but the lyrics don’t really gel with me.

Soul To Squeeze is my favourite RHCP song and although it didn’t make the cut for BSSM for some reason it at least was a product of that recording process and Under The Bridge is at least a song with no ambiguity and addressing a deep emotional and physical subject.

I’m not a huge fan of Anthony Kiedis’ lyrics in general so a lot of their songs just slip me by lyrically anyway but Californication in particular for such a highly acclaimed album just missed me completely

I just can’t get around it hey.

I can see why people liked it - it’s catchy and some of the melodies are really well written but the lyrics don’t really gel with me.

Soul To Squeeze is my favourite RHCP song and although it didn’t make the cut for BSSM for some reason it at least was a product of that recording process and Under The Bridge is at least a song with no ambiguity and addressing a deep emotional and physical subject.

I’m not a huge fan of Anthony Kiedis’ lyrics in general so a lot of their songs just slip me by lyrically anyway but Californication in particular for such a highly acclaimed album just missed me completely

There's some pretty clear lyrical themes on Californication. I think Anthony did a pretty good job of tying the themes of his addictions into the overall subject matter of the LP. Eg Songs like Californication, Otherside and Parallel Universe have clear double meanings.

Can delve into some pining and his usual disjointed poetry, but that's always been the case anyway.

Last edited:
No matter how you feel about the songwriting, Californication sounding like sh*t will always be true. The songs sound like low rate rips off of napster.
Yep, absolutely slughtered in the mastering.
Once mastered, it was shot again twice in the head.
Nice songs, sounds like two bit garbage.

I don't have much time for their straight out rocking tracks but their mid tempo slow stuff is awesome.

I listened to all their albums this week to make a greatest hits compilation, 14 tracks and it's all high quality.

But I like until the freeze so much I made a copy of that as well.
I'm interested to see what the 14 tracks are, if you can be bothered.

I like their straight out rocking tracks, but the songs that have a certain groove to it are the ones for me. They also know how to write a great ballad with a touch of Americana about it.

Easily my favourite band from the last 30 years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back