Unpopular Musical Opinions

Remove this Banner Ad

On topic I think Mark Knopfler should be up there with Clapton, Hendrix, Gilmour and all the ones everyone says, , such a great clean player, he mastered the thumb and index finger style of playing on the right hand.
Jeff Beck plays that way too, albeit with a very different tone.

On topic I think Mark Knopfler should be up there with Clapton, Hendrix, Gilmour and all the ones everyone says, , such a great clean player, he mastered the thumb and index finger style of playing on the right hand. Didn't seem to hide behind many effects either, maybe delay but not much that could hide sloppiness, really precise stuff.
You only need ro listen to the solo on Sultans of Swing to appreciate his talent, even if you're not a huge Dire Straits fan. It is a nude solo, for want of better word, it's not dressed up in anything and it hides behind nothing, it's just a man and his guitar. Quality musicianship.

You only need ro listen to the solo on Sultans of Swing to appreciate his talent, even if you're not a huge Dire Straits fan. It is a nude solo, for want of better word, it's not dressed up in anything and it hides behind nothing, it's just a man and his guitar. Quality musicianship.

Yeah that's why I love it, no (or not much) reverb or delay, pure technique. Even Money For Nothing is difficult, for how easy it seems to play, it's still got me buggered. And then you have to try and match the tone he achieves as well

Yeah I haven't heard too much of Beck, I did listen to a recent album he did and he seemed interesting. He's another one of those ones people put in "best player" categories so I'm sure he's good.
He's covered a lot of styles over the years. From '60's psychedelic rock, blues, heavy rock then a kind of bluesy-jazz-funk-fusion, if such a thing exists. He's an awesome player. Totally original and innovative.

Nah, have to disagree there. Chisel are legends, and I don’t use that word lightly.
Don Walker is one of the greatest songwriters this country has ever produced.
No one writes Australian suburbia like him.
The other members wrote some pretty handy tunes as well.

I’d reckon that Australian Crawl actually do a really good job of capturing that Aussie suburbia

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fair enough.

AC/DC haven't strayed from one style, but you can be at the forefront of that style or you can be in the pack.

Early in their career they were at the front, setting the pace really, had a reputation for upstaging any of the bigger name bands they would open for.

For most of the last 40 years they've been in the pack surviving on reputation and fans. There's still good single and good album cuts but not the start to finish journey it used to be.

And there shouldn't be anything wrong with that.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

When Gene Simmons invited AC/DC to headline for KISS in 1977 he expected them to be a 'solid' intro act'. Little did he anticipate that after 4 or 5 shows the crowd would be chanting for encores, which under contract AC/DC had to decline - and their popularity eventually forced KISS to change their usual repertoire and perform some of their big hits early in their shows to maintain the crowd's energy...

To Simmons's credit, despite concerns from KISS promoters/management, rather then feel threatened by AC/DC's growing following they embraced it, which is why AC/DC headlined for KISS on several tours for over 2 years. Simmons quote from a Rolling Stone interview years later was; "If some people were buying 'KISS concert' tickets to watch AC/DC perform, what was the downside?"...

EDIT. sorry forgot to add an unpopular opinion - related to the above:
KISS were, not only the benchmark in the US, but were easily the biggest Rock band in world during the late 70's and on the pop side ABBA were their equivalent - BUT, it's way past retirement time for the boys - 70yo men performing in make-up and costumes is just sad and it's destroying their legacy..

Last edited:
Cheap Trick was another one.

There's an audio clip on YouTube of AC/DC and Cheap Trick playing Johnny B Goode together, probably the only time they've ever done that. Kinda cool to me.

Unpopular musical opinion: Gene Simmons is quite clever.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

Little Dark Age is far and away MGMT's best album

Really have to give it another spin. I know a few who think this, and tbh it doesn’t surprise me that much.

Still think Oracular Spectacular gets some unnecessary criticism for being too heavy. Pieces of What, Weekend Warriors and The Handshake were really good accompanying album tracks. The singles were overplayed but awesome. Congratulations has also aged pretty well.

Loved that era of alternative pop - MGMT, Passion Pit, Kid Cudi et al.

When Gene Simmons invited AC/DC to headline for KISS in 1977 he expected them to be a 'solid' intro act'. Little did he anticipate that after 4 or 5 shows the crowd would be chanting for encores, which under contract AC/DC had to decline - and their popularity eventually forced KISS to change their usual repertoire and perform some of their big hits early in their shows to maintain the crowd's energy...

To Simmons's credit, despite concerns from KISS promoters/management, rather then feel threatened by AC/DC's growing following they embraced it, which is why AC/DC headlined for KISS on several tours for over 2 years. Simmons quote from a Rolling Stone interview years later was; "If some people were buying 'KISS concert' tickets to watch AC/DC perform, what was the downside?"...

EDIT. sorry forgot to add an unpopular opinion - related to the above:
KISS were, not only the benchmark in the US, but were easily the biggest Rock band in world during the late 70's and on the pop side ABBA were their equivalent - BUT it's way past retirement time for the boys - 70yo men performing in make-up and costumes is just sad and it's destroying their legacy..
Bit late. Beeen using backing tracks for vocals for years. Should have quit circa 2000.
Maybe one of the biggest for a short period in the 70's
but the single most over rated band in history by some way.

Last edited:
I actually think KISS have some very good rock music, and sometimes it gets lost behind the image, theatrics, Simmons and Stanley's revolving door of musicians since the classic lineup, and outspoken nature of Simmons.

I actually think KISS have some very good rock music, and sometimes it gets lost behind the image, theatrics, Simmons and Stanley's revolving door of musicians since the classic lineup, and outspoken nature of Simmons.
Yeah, I like maybe 10 or 12 or so, they do have some good songs no doubt.
And a hell of alot of not very good, to bad...to utter drivel ones as well.

Bit late. Been using backing tracks for vocals for years. Should have quit circa 2000.
Maybe one of the biggest for a short period in the 70's
but the single most over rated band in history by some way.

Fair comments - but I am just stating an unpopular opinion in a thread seeking 'unpopular opinions'?

Despite critics always labeling them as a 'joke band' they have produced 44 albums of which many went Gold and Platinum which is hard to ignore - but to be brutally honest I couldn't name you more than 3 or 4 of their biggest hits...
Of course their commercial success, specifically during the late 70's into the 80's, mainly derived from touring with their elaborate costumes, make-up and spectacular stage shows, which even those not buying their music at the time wanted to experience.

With clever marketing/promotion and collaborations with other artists they had a good run of huge concerts around the globe for many years that also contributed to the success of; AC/DC, Bob Seger, Judas Priest, Rush, Iron Maiden, Tom Petty, to name a few...

... elaborate costumes, make-up and spectacular stage shows, which even those not buying their music at the time wanted to experience.

I've always been interested in the AC/DC contradiction, known for being a no nonsense just about the music band, but Angus in the schoolboy outfit may be the most recognisable in rock, definitely outside of KISS, and a big stage show full of props and theatrics. It's not something they've ever been called on I don't think.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back