Unpopular Musical Opinions

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't take notice of lyrics as much as I use too.

I have been disappointed too many times checking song lyrics to find out I've been singing the wrong lyric to myself for years and now the lyric of that song is not as good to me.

This is so true! My interpretations are always better than the actual lyrics!
Eg. ‘Tangled UpIn Blue’
I always thought it was ‘Later on when the crowd came down, I was just about to do the same.’
when it’s ‘when the crowd thinned out’
Pfft, what does Dylan know about lyrics?!!

thats a horrendous list of songs. 1, 3 and 25 the only semi decent ones

"Horrendous', really..?
While some of these songs have not aged well and a few were lucky to chart, half of these also went Gold or Platinum and quite a few had global success such as; January, Love will Keep Us Together, Please Mr. Postman, Before The Next Teardrop Falls, When Will I See You Again and Sailing - while ABBA just churned out hit after hit and Status Quo were iconic with a huge fan base in the mid 70's...
Oh, BTW, Gloria Gaynor's version of Never Can Say Goodbye was one of the defining recordings of the disco era.

Feel free to post your list..?

Last edited:
"Horrendous', really..?
While some of these songs have not aged well and a few were lucky to chart, half of these also went Gold or Platinum and quite a few had global success such as; January, Love will Keep Us Together, Please Mr. Postman, Before The Next Teardrop Falls, When Will I See You Again and Sailing - while ABBA just churned out hit after hit and Status Quo were iconic with a huge fan base in the mid 70's...

Feel free to post your list..?
what do you mean my list? thats the top 25 songs from 1975. I remember most of these songs played on the radio on 3KZ which my ma listened too. It was playing only the schmaltzy songs of the time. Sones like Please mr postman, The last farewell, Captain and Tenille, Last tear drop falls made me want to puke. They were terrible.
I do rate Abba, they were geniuses and their songs still stand up but the ones above are just the songs the middle aged ladies loved and thats why they sold. Platinum and Gold were not a measure of good songs, You only have to look at the Newcastle song for that. Rack off Normie, you and your mates lol lyrics for the ages!

People know ABBA as silly shallow 70s pop band, but actually their melodies are well crafted and their guitar harmonies are great. It shows, for instance, when you listen to metal covers of ABBA, how well it translates without really having to change the song at all.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

what do you mean my list? thats the top 25 songs from 1975. I remember most of these songs played on the radio on 3KZ which my ma listened too. It was playing only the schmaltzy songs of the time. Sones like Please mr postman, The last farewell, Captain and Tenille, Last tear drop falls made me want to puke. They were terrible.
I do rate Abba, they were geniuses and their songs still stand up but the ones above are just the songs the middle aged ladies loved and thats why they sold. Platinum and Gold were not a measure of good songs, You only have to look at the Newcastle song for that. Rack off Normie, you and your mates lol lyrics for the ages!

When you look back though, what do you think people remember? Most of those will be forgotten and only some remembered like ABBA or Sweet, and people fill in the gaps with stuff like ACDC, Alice Cooper, Bee Gees, etc.

When people look back at post 2000 music, will the cultural staples of the era be replaced by more lasting music? I don't think so, I think the big hits will remain at the front of people's minds. There's not as much depth to the scene anymore, available to the common person at least.

When you look back though, what do you think people remember? Most of those will be forgotten and only some remembered like ABBA or Sweet, and people fill in the gaps with stuff like ACDC, Alice Cooper, Bee Gees, etc.

When people look back at post 2000 music, will the cultural staples of the era be replaced by more lasting music? I don't think so, I think the big hits will remain at the front of people's minds. There's not as much depth to the scene anymore, available to the common person at least.

I agree. I only remember most of these songs because they were embedded in my brain by my mother. I doubt most of the people looking at them would recognize more than 10.
I rate the 70s, if i had to go decades in order of good music before 2000 i would go 60s, 70s, 90s and a long long last 80s but most of hte good music never charted or charted low and were slow growers.

Last edited:
The hip hop pop style music has had dominance of the industry locked in for 20 years now. Occasionally someone else busts through, but even people like Ed Sheeran or Taylor Swift end up going hip hop. Just waiting for Adele to start rapping in a breakdown. Jet were a thing for a brief moment but nobody cared for the second album. Green Day the last band to really smash it with an electric guitar record that I can think of.

I rate the 70s, if i had to go decades in order of good music before 2000 i would go 60s, 70s, 90s and a long long last 80s but most of hte good music never charted or charted low and were slow growers.
Yep. There was that brief era where a lot of the really good stuff charted, either on albums or as singles, but even that era was slowing down by the early 1970's.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ARIA top 25, 1985, are these mostly rubbish as well...?

1. "We Are the World" USA for Africa
2. "Angel" / "Into the Groove" Madonna
3. "Crazy for You" Madonna
4. "Live it Up" Mental As Anything
5. "I Want to Know What Love Is" Foreigner
6. "Out of Mind, Out of Sight" Models
7. "Money for Nothing" Dire Straits
8. "I Got You Babe" UB40 with Chrissie Hynde
9. "I Should Have Known Better" Jim Diamond
10. "Would I Lie To You?" Eurythmics
11. "Dancing in the Street" David Bowie & Mick Jagger
12. "Take On Me" a-ha
13. "You Spin Me Round (Like a Record)" Dead or Alive
14. "Shout" Tears For Fears
15. "One Night in Bangkok" Murray Head
16. "Born in the U.S.A." Bruce Springsteen
17. "Neutron Dance" Pointer Sisters
18. "What You Need" INXS
19. "Do They Know It's Christmas" Band Aid
20. "We Don't Need Another Hero" Tina Turner
21. "Walking on Sunshine" Katrina and the Waves
22. "The Heat Is On" Glenn Frey
23. "The Power of Love" Jennifer Rush
24. "The Power of Love" Huey Lewis and the News
25. "Like a Virgin" Madonna

12. "Take On Me" a-ha
18. "What You Need" INXS

Forgettable
Dunno
Dunno
Great
Great
Great
Classic
Good
Dunno
Good
Good for lols
12. "Take On Me" a-ha
Classic
Classic
Great
Good
Classic
Great
18. "What You Need" INXS
Great
Good
Classic
Good
Good
Dunno
Good
Classic

thats a horrendous list of songs. 1, 3 and 25 the only semi decent ones
Almost completely. Nothing there I've ever owned a copy of.
I think that was the poster's point.

/////

The soprano sax is underutilised. The high points of the alto often don't hit that feeling of ecstasy. Understandable if you're performing live and are only capable of using the one instrument for the performance. But for a recording, you have a right to be anal.

Jet were too derivative I think. They never really had their own sound. Every song sounded like an inferior version of somebody else.
I think they were neither melodic or pop enough to be pop rock, nor rough enough to be proper rock.

They weren't very good but their second album was certainly not a drastic drop off from what I recall, the public just doesn't have much interest for it anymore. Really the only 'new' rock bands to make a very very good career more than one hit or one album wonder in the last 20 years have been Foo Fighters and Nickelback.

Unfortunately Airbourne have stagnated on the last two albums, the first three are great modern hard rock.

The last two sound like Motorhead/Rose Tattoo/AC/DC c-sides.

The soprano sax is underutilised. The high points of the alto often don't hit that feeling of ecstasy. Understandable if you're performing live and are only capable of using the one instrument for the performance. But for a recording, you have a right to be anal.
More than a right. An obligation.

12. "Take On Me" a-ha
18. "What You Need" INXS
They certainly are to my ears. Just as they were when I first heard them back then. The only one from that list that I spent money on was Springsteen's Born In The USA album.

As a teenager back then, I was absorbing as much music from the mid '60's to mid '70's as I could. Listening to those chart songs in 1985 I kept asking myself, "what the * happened?".

There is more good music being made today than ever before and it’s more accessible than ever.
If the stuff you listen to comes from the ARIA charts then the problem is you and your listening habits, not the state of modern music.
You don’t go to McDonald’s then complain about the quality of the food.

There is more good music being made today than ever before and it’s more accessible than ever.
If the stuff you listen to comes from the ARIA charts then the problem is you and your listening habits, not the state of modern music.
The point somewhere along the line that some were making was chart success and sales doesn't equate to quality. Sometimes it does, but it's not that often.

1. "We Are the World" USA for Africa garbage - sun city on the other hand was a great song.
2. "Angel" / "Into the Groove" Madonna - Madonna was good - trendsetter
4. "Live it Up" Mental As Anything - overplayed at the time
5. "I Want to Know What Love Is" Foreigner - garbage
6. "Out of Mind, Out of Sight" Models - very good
7. "Money for Nothing" Dire Straits - over rated
8. "I Got You Babe" UB40 with Chrissie Hynde - cover song that was garbage
9. "I Should Have Known Better" Jim Diamond - garbage
10. "Would I Lie To You?" Eurythmics - one of my fave 80s song at the time. over played
11. "Dancing in the Street" David Bowie & Mick Jagger - cover song garbage
12. "Take On Me" a-ha - an original . good
13. "You Spin Me Round (Like a Record)" Dead or Alive - for the discos
14. "Shout" Tears For Fears - garbage
15. "One Night in Bangkok" Murray Head - written by an abba member. i liked it
16. "Born in the U.S.A." Bruce Springsteen - iconic for som, not for me
17. "Neutron Dance" Pointer Sisters - garbage
18. "What You Need" INXS - eh they had better songs
19. "Do They Know It's Christmas" Band Aid - garbage
20. "We Don't Need Another Hero" Tina Turner - did not like. can understand why others like it
21. "Walking on Sunshine" Katrina and the Waves - poppy - not for me
22. "The Heat Is On" Glenn Frey - liked it at hte time - probably the only EAgles related song i ever liked
23. "The Power of Love" Jennifer Rush - for the mothers
24. "The Power of Love" Huey Lewis and the News - absolute garbage

The point somewhere along the line that some were making was chart success and sales doesn't equate to quality. Sometimes it does, but it's not that often.
The point was that a common criticism of modern music is that what is popular is often crap, unlike the good old days when there was real music. I was pointing out that there was plenty of popular crap back then too

Well, if there was a prize for the most unpopular musical opinion of the day, you've just won it..!

Agree, ARIA or any mainstream music chart simply relates to the commercial success of mostly popular genres and they do not represent the industry as a whole, including it's diverse independent/alternative/underground music scenes that often include other genres which has it's own strong following and niche market.

I simply included the 1985 ARIA listing to highlight what was popular in the mainstream market during that era, with some tracks now known as classics - but the biggest difference back then was most artists were given time to develop and produce their compositions/music whether a single or album, unlike today which is generally more content focused on how much can be recorded/published/marketed within certain deadlines and budgets.

I've no doubt the same amount of creativity and talent exists with most modern lyrists and/or artists and/or producers, but they simply have to work under different industry frameworks, where most recording companies consider it an achievement if they can produce 5 tracks that feature in the top 50 on any chart, rather than any of these reaching number 1. It's also the reason we see just as many, if not more, one-hit-wonders of recent times as we had in previous eras.

BTW, I don't complain about McDonalds, I just don't eat it...

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back