Unpopular Musical Opinions

Remove this Banner Ad

It's like any artform. There will always be your great and not so great. But as we go forward; genres and styles get exhausted so in order to be original, it's going to be a hell of a lot harder today than in the past, and will be even harder in the future. Practically everything moving forward will be derived heavily from a former style, and that's not necessarily a negative thing.

There is more good music being made today than ever before and it’s more accessible than ever.
If the stuff you listen to comes from the ARIA charts then the problem is you and your listening habits, not the state of modern music.
You don’t go to McDonald’s then complain about the quality of the food.
I generally agree; there's plenty of great music around and lots of ways to find them. What's changed is that there is no longer the singular source of listening to music that made it feel like a social experience. In the past, most people listened to one of the few radio stations around, the popular songs were known by most people. Now, you find the music you like, but don't have the same connections with it because other people are finding different music through different sources.

I generally agree; there's plenty of great music around and lots of ways to find them. What's changed is that there is no longer the singular source of listening to music that made it feel like a social experience. In the past, most people listened to one of the few radio stations around, the popular songs were known by most people. Now, you find the music you like, but don't have the same connections with it because other people are finding different music through different sources.
Isn't that a good thing though? You create friendships with others with a more specific taste, as opposed to a very much broad landscape trying to please everybody.

Isn't that a good thing though? You create friendships with others with a more specific taste, as opposed to a very much broad landscape trying to please everybody.
It's hard to say. Maybe you find more significant connections with a smaller group. But you lose the larger social dynamic.

There was still enough room for specific musical tastes. Growing up in the '90s, grunge forced its way into the mainstream, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Pumpkins et al had a huge fan base. It felt like a real community. But there was still room for people who thought it was too mainstream to dig into Mudhoney, Alice in Chains etc.

There will probably never be stadium bands under the new music model because there won't be music that means that much to enough people. The only bands filling out stadiums at the moment are Metallica, GNR, Foo Fighters etc.

The point was that a common criticism of modern music is that what is popular is often crap, unlike the good old days when there was real music. I was pointing out that there was plenty of popular crap back then too
Honestly I don't reckon so in that 1985 list.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

Honestly I don't reckon so in that 1985 list.
Agreed which underlines the point. People would have been bagging music in the 80s at the time. Not a patch on the 60s or 70s. What happened to all the great bands and great artists? Yet that list is significantly better than what came before.

The point was that a common criticism of modern music is that what is popular is often crap, unlike the good old days when there was real music. I was pointing out that there was plenty of popular crap back then too
There sure was. I'm of the opinion that most music of any era is pretty much rubbish, with only a small percentage being of a certain quality.

There must seems to be more rubbish than ever before these days.

Agreed which underlines the point. People would have been bagging music in the 80s at the time. Not a patch on the 60s or 70s. What happened to all the great bands and great artists? Yet that list is significantly better than what came before.
I think diversity and integrity in the charts/sales probably peaked in the 80s and 90s.

Important to remember what sells doesn't always chart though.

It's hard to say. Maybe you find more significant connections with a smaller group. But you lose the larger social dynamic.

There was still enough room for specific musical tastes. Growing up in the '90s, grunge forced its way into the mainstream, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Pumpkins et al had a huge fan base. It felt like a real community. But there was still room for people who thought it was too mainstream to dig into Mudhoney, Alice in Chains etc.

There will probably never be stadium bands under the new music model because there won't be music that means that much to enough people. The only bands filling out stadiums at the moment are Metallica, GNR, Foo Fighters etc.

Yep I was born in 1970. As a teenager in the 80s I got lost in the 60s and 70s stuff, most (not all) of the 80s stuff sucked.
Then Nirvana broke and that was it, delved into all the so called alternative stuff. Going back further into Sonic Youth etc, the earlier scene before Nirvana, that I hadn’t been exposed to.
I remember going to the first couple of BDOs and I was so happy with like minded music lovers, and then being so pissed when the mainstream crowd discovered festivals and turned them into just another reason to get your shirt off.
All the campaigners that we’re giving me s**t about my musical tastes, whilst listening to s**t like Poison and Bon Jovi were suddenly next to me at the BDO. Just GAGF!!! Haha!

Important to remember what sells doesn't always chart though.
Not sure I understand this part.

But really, how music is consumed currently, what's deemed "successful" or how do charts work? The amount of online streams a song has had?

Not sure I understand this part.

But really, how music is consumed currently, what's deemed "successful" or how do charts work? The amount of online streams a song has had?
I think Back In Black is the second biggest selling album ever but it didn't destroy the charts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh, so you mean highest selling over a longer period of time?
Yeah, in hindsight you can look back and say, oh, that was a big seller, must have been everywhere at the time, but maybe it wasn't a huge hit in the day, not as smashing as the numbers look.

Yeah, in hindsight you can look back and say, oh, that was a big seller, must have been everywhere at the time, but maybe it wasn't a huge hit in the day, not as smashing as the numbers look.

Ah, that makes sense.

Reckon the 80’s are actually pretty underappreciated.

Sure there’s a hell of a lot of sugary electro-pop, but so many genres seemed to spawn at once. Thrash metal, post-punk, jangle pop, hip-hop hardcore, shoegaze. Was technically the beginning of post rock with bands like Talk Talk.

I find the 70’s to be a little overrated on the whole. The biggest rock bands were either defunct or in decline by 1975.

The 80's was a really crap decade for music.
It produced this and this is the best version you can get.

Rick Astley, ha ha - my younger sister (despite my better advice) went and saw him live in 1989 and came home absolutely livid..!

According to her, quote: "he mimed the entire f***ing performance as he obviously can't sing for s**t..!" She said the only entertaining aspect of his performance was the crowd yelling out sarcastic advice like; 'switch on your microphone, you clown!'..

For the record the 80's offered 1000 artists easily better than this fraud...

Last edited:
I find the 70’s to be a little overrated on the whole. The biggest rock bands were either defunct or in decline by 1975.
Only The Who and Zeppelin were still at their peak then and both lost their irreplaceable drummers within 5 years.

There's a lot of stuff from 1988 that wouldn't sound out of place in 1994.

Likewise I think lots of the hair metal groups that died off, were already moving toward a more serious direction before Nevermind too. I think many of them could've made great music if they didn't get spooked by the sudden rise of grunge. Bands like Poison, Skid Row, Warrant, and Bon Jovi were already making the move to a '90s' sound. Even Metallica and Megadeth had already changed. I'm sure there are others I am forgetting too.

GnR caused the death of hair metal as much of Nirvana.

So another opinion I have is that the impact of Nevermind on pop culture and the music scene is overstated.

With all due respect, no musicians is irreplaceable, especially if a band is at its peak.

The loss or addition of only one musician can have an enormous difference to the chemistry of the band from both a performing and creative point of view.

That was my point. Not necessarily irreplaceable, but certainly able to drastically alter the band's sound. Sometimes for the better, but often not.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back