Unpopular Musical Opinions

Aug 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
With all due respect, no musicians is irreplaceable, especially if a band is at its peak.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

I disagree, two examples off the top of my head are Kurt Cobain and Lemmy, those bands could never continue after those guys died.

Generally speaking for non frontmen I'd tend to agree, someone like Steve Harris would probably never be replaced with Maiden maybe, though he writes all the songs and it's effectively his band.

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
I disagree, two examples off the top of my head are Kurt Cobain and Lemmy, those bands could never continue after those guys died.

Generally speaking for non frontmen I'd tend to agree, someone like Steve Harris would probably never be replaced with Maiden maybe, though he writes all the songs and it's effectively his band.

Exceptions apply, but if the rest of the is strong enough it should continue, otherwise it's a glorified solo act, like Nirvana.

I think AC/DC would have pulled stumps if Angus died instead of Bon, but I believe they could've continued without him regardless, as long as Malcolm/Bon was still around, for example.

Maiden is interesting, agree about Harris, but with five other musicians in the band, surely they could at least manage one album of Harris free material if they had to.

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2007
Way over yonder across the hill
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Burnie United FC, Cheddar AFC
And for two of my favourite acts, The Who and the Stones, their respective line-up changes altered the band's sound quite a bit.

The Brian Jones to Mick Taylor transition in the Stones didn't diminish their sound at all, but it did alter it, particularly live. Although, their style of writing had already changed while Jones was still a functioning member, Taylor's virtuosity on the guitar had a profound influence on the Stones' sound both live and in the studio. Taylor's eventual departure - replaced by Faces guitarist Ronnie Wood - saw a marked decline in the overall musicianship of the band. It was a though Taylor's presence brought the best out of the rest of the Stones and vice versa. Wood, while an excellent rhythm/lead player (and superior to Richards and Jones as a soloist) isn't in the same class as Taylor.

The decline in the quality of the songwriting unfortunately seemed to coincide with Taylor's departure also. Jones and Taylor (to a lesser degree) were also vitally important to the Stones as a strong third creative voice in the band, despite neither being songwriters. It's since transpired that both should have been co-credited on several compositions along the way.

The Who on the other hand, simply never sounded quite the same after the death of Keith Moon. Their sound became even more diluted when John Entwistle died in 2002. It's hard to think of a more idiosyncratic rhythm section in rock history than Entwistle and Moon. That the band were still able to carry on as an approximation of The Who's sound is a testament to Townshend and Daltrey.

Duane Allman of the Allman Brothers Band is another who's sudden death left a massive hole that could not - and was not - replaced despite the Allmans carrying on for another three decades.

Last edited:
And for two of my favourite acts, The Who and the Stones, their respective line-up changes altered the band's sound quite a bit.

The Brian Jones to Mick Taylor transition in the Stones didn't diminish their sound at all, but it did alter it, particularly live. Although, their style of writing had already changed while Jones was still a functioning member. Taylor's virtuosity on the guitar had a profound influence on the Stones' sound both live and in the studio. Taylor's eventual departure - replaced by Faces guitarist Ronnie Wood - saw a marked decline in the overall musicianship of the band. It was a though Taylor's presence brought the best out of the rest of the Stones and vice versa. Wood, while an excellent rhythm/lead player (and superior to Richards and Jones as a soloist) isn't in the same class as Taylor.

The decline in the quality of the songwriting unfortunately seemed to coincide with Taylor's departure also. Jones and Taylor (to a lesser degree) were also vitally important to the Stones as a strong third creative voice in the band, despite neither being songwriters. It's since transpired that both should have been co-credited on several compositions along the way.

The Who on the other hand, simply never sounded quite the same after the death of Keith Moon. Their sound became even more diluted when John Entwistle died in 2002. It's hard to think of a more idiosyncratic rhythm section in rock history than Entwistle and Moon. That the band were still able to carry on as an approximation of The Who's sound is a testament to Townshend and Daltrey.

Duane Allman of the Allman Brothers Band is another who's sudden death left a massive hole that could not - and was not - replaced despite the Allmans carrying on for another three decades.

To sum it up- Taylor Stones is best Stones! I wholeheartedly agree!

Last edited:
May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
GnR caused the death of hair metal as much of Nirvana.

So another opinion I have is that the impact of Nevermind on pop culture and the music scene is overstated.
Not agreeing or disagreeing with you but just after reading your post this article popped up on my twitter feed

Sep 30, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
There's a lot of stuff from 1988 that wouldn't sound out of place in 1994.

Likewise I think lots of the hair metal groups that died off, were already moving toward a more serious direction before Nevermind too. I think many of them could've made great music if they didn't get spooked by the sudden rise of grunge. Bands like Poison, Skid Row, Warrant, and Bon Jovi were already making the move to a '90s' sound. Even Metallica and Megadeth had already changed. I'm sure there are others I am forgetting too.

GnR caused the death of hair metal as much of Nirvana.

So another opinion I have is that the impact of Nevermind on pop culture and the music scene is overstated.

Music was shifting, Nirvana just brought it into the main stream. Not surprising since Nevermind was produced like a pop album. Also if Kurt was an ugly, overweight ethnic bloke, they’d never have took off.

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Music was shifting, Nirvana just brought it into the main stream. Not surprising since Nevermind was produced like a pop album. Also if Kurt was an ugly, overweight ethnic bloke, they’d never have took off.
Lol absolutely.

Being a nice blonde surfie looking dude did them no disservice at all.

Aug 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal

The Brian Jones to Mick Taylor transition in the Stones didn't diminish their sound at all, but it did alter it, particularly live. Although, their style of writing had already changed while Jones was still a functioning member, Taylor's virtuosity on the guitar had a profound influence on the Stones' sound both live and in the studio. Taylor's eventual departure - replaced by Faces guitarist Ronnie Wood - saw a marked decline in the overall musicianship of the band. It was a though Taylor's presence brought the best out of the rest of the Stones and vice versa. Wood, while an excellent rhythm/lead player (and superior to Richards and Jones as a soloist) isn't in the same class as Taylor.

I love blasting Who Are You and singing it at the top of my lungs. The conviction in Daltrey's voice is superb, along with Moon's drumming and Townshend's work on the guitar, it's an outstanding track. I bloody love it.

Mar 9, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
I love blasting Who Are You and singing it at the top of my lungs. The conviction in Daltrey's voice is superb, along with Moon's drumming and Townshend's work on the guitar, it's an outstanding track. I bloody love it.
In their top 10 tracks I reckon. Moon's final performance with The Who, sadly.

And the clip is awesome. .

deanc

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 13, 2014
Waverley
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tasmania
In their top 10 tracks I reckon. Moon's final performance with The Who, sadly.

And the clip is awesome. .

Huge track! Gee, how much talent is there in this session and crazy Keith with headphones taped to his head, classic!

Although not apparent to the casual listener, musically this is quite a complex composition and while the lyrics may seem rather simple with only two distinctive verses, it's got an undeniable hook...

BTW, my favourite Keith Moon story was when he once broke into Mick Jagger's hotel room in LA dressed as Batman..!

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Although not apparent to the casual listener, musically this is quite a complex composition and while the lyrics may seem rather simple with only two distinctive verses, it's got an undeniable hook..
There's actually three verses on the full length version on the Who Are You album. The clip is around 50 seconds shorter.
BTW, my favourite Keith Moon story was when he once broke into Mick Jagger's hotel room dressed as Batman..!
There's a legendary book concerning his off stage exploits called Moon The Loon, which was written by his minder of 10 years, Peter "Dougal" Butler. It is both one of the saddest and one of the funniest books I've ever read.
Huge track! Gee, how much talent is there in this session and crazy Keith Moon with headphones taped to his head, classic!
They were an insanely talented band.

Aug 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal
There's actually three verses on the full length version on the Who Are You album. The clip is around 50 seconds shorter.

There's a legendary book concerning his off stage exploits called Moon The Loon, which was written by his minder of 10 years, Peter "Dougal" Butler. It is both one of the saddest and one of the funniest books I've ever read.

The full track is great at about 6 and half mins or so isn't it?

I also love in the first chorus where the throws in "who the * are you?!". Bloody awesome song, really gees me up.

Mar 9, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
The full track is great at about 6 and half mins or so isn't it?

I also love in the first chorus where the throws in "who the fu** are you?!". Bloody awesome song, really gees me up.
Yeah, he drops the "who the * are you" line towards the end as well, just in case we missed it the first time, lol.

Yeah the full album track is somewhere between six - six and a half minutes I think.

Every bit as good as their earlier classics I reckon.

Oct 20, 2004
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Pompey
ARIA top 25, 1985, are these mostly rubbish as well...?

1. "We Are the World" USA for Africa
2. "Angel" / "Into the Groove" Madonna
3. "Crazy for You" Madonna
4. "Live it Up" Mental As Anything
5. "I Want to Know What Love Is" Foreigner
6. "Out of Mind, Out of Sight" Models
7. "Money for Nothing" Dire Straits
8. "I Got You Babe" UB40 with Chrissie Hynde
9. "I Should Have Known Better" Jim Diamond
10. "Would I Lie To You?" Eurythmics
11. "Dancing in the Street" David Bowie & Mick Jagger
12. "Take On Me" a-ha
13. "You Spin Me Round (Like a Record)" Dead or Alive
14. "Shout" Tears For Fears
15. "One Night in Bangkok" Murray Head
16. "Born in the U.S.A." Bruce Springsteen
17. "Neutron Dance" Pointer Sisters
18. "What You Need" INXS
19. "Do They Know It's Christmas" Band Aid
20. "We Don't Need Another Hero" Tina Turner
21. "Walking on Sunshine" Katrina and the Waves
22. "The Heat Is On" Glenn Frey
23. "The Power of Love" Jennifer Rush
24. "The Power of Love" Huey Lewis and the News
25. "Like a Virgin" Madonna
Money for Nothing is the only one in the top ten there that has really gotten better with age.

Oct 20, 2004
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Pompey

If a band only has one songwriter, then yep they are irreplaceable.

deanc

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 13, 2014
Waverley
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tasmania

Moon the Loon book, I'll definitely look out for that one, it should include the following.

Los Angeles 1968:
Keith Moon fully dressed in a Batman outfit including mask, scaled the fire escape and at 2am entered Mick Jaggers hotel room via an open window. Then bursts into the side bedroom, switched on the light and starting singing 'I can't get no Satisfaction', while jumping around like a manic..!

Jagger was terrified and grabbed a letter opener from the beside table in some feeble attempt to defend himself against this unknown lunatic.
When Moon stopped jumping around, he proudly announced; 'Hey mate, it's Keith!' Jagger confusingly responds; 'What, you don't sound anything like Keith (referring to Richards)?'
Then Moon removes his Batman mask.

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Moon the Loon book, I'll definitely look out for that one, it should include the following.

Los Angeles 1968:
Keith Moon fully dressed in a Batman outfit including mask, scaled the fire escape and at 2am entered Mick Jaggers hotel room via an open window. Then bursts into the side bedroom, switched on the light and starting singing 'I can't get no Satisfaction', while jumping around like a manic..!

Jagger was terrified and grabbed a letter opener from the beside table is some feeble attempt to defend himself against this unknown lunatic.
When Moon stopped jumping around he proudly announced; 'Hey mate, it's Keith!' Jagger confusingly responds; 'What, you don't sound anything like Keith (referring to Richards)?'
Then Moon removes his Batman mask.
That's brilliant. I have heard a version of that before. Sadly, it didn't make the book, but believe me you won't miss it. There's stories from the road (literally from the stage in one instance and NOT the one when he famously passed out after taking horse tranquilizers), film sets, car showrooms, airports, pubs, parties, and some just from Moonie's house like when he tried to offer a bribe - in the form of a TV - to a uniformed police officer, but instead tripped at the top of the stairs and tumbled down, crashing against the wall several times going arse over and smashing the TV to pieces.

The cop was only dropping by to tell him that he'd left his car at the pub, lol.

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Funnily enough, Nirvana only had one songwriter because Kurt Cobain had a stranglehold on the band. Turns out in Dave Grohl, they had someone capable of putting a pretty handy band together.
Happens a few times.

The Youngs had a stranglehold on AC/DC, but Phil Rudd has an ok solo album, and Cliff and Brian made a blues soft rock side project.

Imagine how much better some bands would be if they opened up the writing? Though Kurt would have hated Dave's commercial rock...

deanc

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 13, 2014
Waverley
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tasmania
That's brilliant. I have heard a version of that before. Sadly, it didn't make the book, but believe me you won't miss it. There's stories from the road (literally from the stage in one instance and NOT the one when he famously passed out after taking horse tranquilizers), film sets, car showrooms, airports, pubs, parties, and some just from Moonie's house like when he tried to offer a bribe - in the form of a TV - to a uniformed police officer, but instead tripped at the top of the stairs and tumbled down, crashing against the wall several times going arse over and smashing the TV to pieces.

The cop was only dropping by to tell him that he'd left his car at the pub, lol.

Oh, does the book includes this one..?
New York City, 1976. Keith Moon pays nine taxi drivers $100 each to block the hotel’s front street and ensure the safety of pedestrians while destroying the room in which he was staying. Moon then threw everything he could out the window from his 12th floor suite. I'm pretty sure this was hotel.
Sadly, as even conceded by Daltrey years later, aside from his struggles with alcohol/drugs, it's highly likely Moon was also an undiagnosed Sociopath...

Keith-Moon-in-hotel.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Happens a few times.

The Youngs had a stranglehold on AC/DC, but Phil Rudd has an ok solo album, and Cliff and Brian made a blues soft rock side project.

Imagine how much better some bands would be if they opened up the writing? Though Kurt would have hated Dave's commercial rock...

To be fair, Grohl got less edgy as he got older. Not unexpected when you are rich, successful and satisfied. The first two albums are classics that stand up against Nirvana and there’s still some quality stuff in later albums. Last couple of albums have fallen away but it has been 25 years.

Back