Unpopular Musical Opinions

Osho

We haven't changed our position.
Jul 9, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
‘it’s worth the reesk!
I don’t get face pulling like it’s an enema from vocalists generally. My all time favourite Debbie Harry managed to knock out a few good songs without the face pulling. That video where there's a’ duet’ on 'heart of glass'with Miley Cyrus…..TORTURE
Deborah Harry. Geewizz. My first serious girlfriend.

Back to the real world, Union City Blues always did it for me. As did Heart of Glass.

deanc

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 13, 2014
Waverley
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tasmania
‘it’s worth the reesk!
I don’t get face pulling like it’s an enema from vocalists generally. My all time favourite Debbie Harry managed to knock out a few good songs without the face pulling. That video where there's a’ duet’ on 'heart of glass'with Miley Cyrus…..TORTURE

Surely Chrissy gets a pass on face pulling..?

Saw the Divinyls live in the mid 80's and my girlfriend at the time said; "She disgusting, acting like a sl*t, I'm leaving!" - Oh OK, see ya later...

Chrissy A.jpg

Last edited:
I was going to post this in the "Great Songs, that also have great music videos" thread after someone posted a couple of terrible Madonna songs, but I decided not to fill that thread with my negative comments. I'll post them here instead. :D

Madonna's last great song was Into The Groove back in 1985.

Although I'm not sure I can be a trusted judge because looking at her discography I think I've only heard two Madonna songs after the release of Vogue. Justify My Love which was terrible and probably the final nail in the Madonna coffin for me, and Hung Up which is okay but it isn't as good as the Abba track that was ripped off.

Aug 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal
I was going to post this in the "Great Songs, that also have great music videos" thread after someone posted a couple of terrible Madonna songs, but I decided not to fill that thread with my negative comments. I'll post them here instead. :D

Although I'm not sure I can be a trusted judge because looking at her discography I think I've only heard two Madonna songs after the release of Vogue. Justify My Love which was terrible and probably the final nail in the Madonna coffin for me, and Hung Up which is okay but it isn't as good as the Abba track that was ripped off.
There is a Madonna fanboy on here, and if he says this he is gonna fight you to the death. You're ****ed mate.

WireHawk

Team Captain
Aug 16, 2009
The Black Lodge
AFL Club
Hawthorn

I think 'Frozen' and 'Do You Know What It feels Like To Be A Girl' are Madonna's best tracks.
They are wonderful songs.

g_p_c

Draftee
Apr 26, 2021
Europe
AFL Club
Essendon
Blur were sh*t.

Actually "Britpop" was sh*t.

Music is as good now as it was in the 60's. Yes people there were a heap of sh*t songs released back then.
Each to their own mate but I absolutely loved Britpop - still do. s**t songs every decade .. every year ... every week....

g_p_c

Draftee
Apr 26, 2021
Europe
AFL Club
Essendon
The Beatles are sh*t boring and people who list them as their favourite band are too.

Hey Ya is not the best song so far of the 21st century. Feel Good Inc and Young Folks are as good as or better. Hey Ya's start and hook is incredible but after that it just gets boring. The lyrics are fine for what it is but for a song so great everywhere else, it lets them down. If you want to talk about great melodies and choruses it's still not up there – Amerie's 1 Thing is heaps better, and if it went to a few more places, it'd be the best song of the 2000s.

A pop song should be measured in its cultural impact by as much as it is its intrinsic, independent 'good.' The zeitgeist is its biggest complement, not it's 'timelessness.'

People will remember Miley Cyrus and Blurred Lines more than any other artists in the 2010s.

Damon Albarn is criminally, painfully underrated considering the breadth of his projects and their success commercially (Country House, Demon Days, Girls & Boys) critically (13), and socially (Feel Good Inc., Song 2, Girls & Boys). He is the most significant aid to music and music culture since hip hop.

Radiohead will never make another album above 'yeah, it's alright' again. Thom Yorke's too happy. Conversely, Weezer will make an album as good as Pinkerton and Blue again one day.

Go.

Criticism welcome.

Everybody is entitled to their opinion and if everybody liked the same music - well we'd all be stuck with the shite that clogs up the charts.

IMO
1. The success of the Beatles was down to more than their music. They were a touchstone of the times and while not a FU to the establishment - they were new and fresh

2. Hey Ya was not the best song so far of the 21st century. Feel Good and Young Folks both great tracks but what you level at Hey Ya .. can also be attributed to Feel Good - if you don't like the tract it can be monotonous.

3. A pop song is a pop song. Usually they have a feel good factor. Either you enjoy it or you don't thats what shuffle is for :p

4. People are listening to Miley and Blurred Lines because thats what they want to listen to - and include me in that number. I have a very eclectic taste but have no bones about saying I'm one of Miley's biggest fans.

5. Agreed on Damon Albarn - he is woefully underrated - he takes chances that don't necessarily appeal to the masses but that has been the way since the dawn of time.

In short - there is a place for all artists because we're all thankfully different
Some are one hit wonders but leave a mark (Ca Plane Pour Moi - Plastic Bertrand - anyone?).
Some rock the commercial airwaves. (Taylor Swift, Miley, Pink, etc)
and then some such as Mr Albarn innovate.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Live It Up is a cracker of a song

This. That list of songs was abysmal IMO if you remove the Australian tracks from it - australia bucked the 80s trend and produced some fantastic music. The average of everything else around the world was propped up by outliers like U2 and Dire Straits with the occasional cameo by either a hair metal band or the emerging actual heavy metal landscape. Or in some cases hip hop (It’s Tricky is one of the best songs of the decade). But * there was some s**t being listened to

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
Surely Chrissy gets a pass on face pulling..?

Saw the Divinyls live in the mid 80's and my girlfriend at the time said; "She disgusting, acting like a sl*t, I'm leaving!" - Oh OK, see ya later...

View attachment 1286060
I think I did not pay much respect to Divinyls originally because I assumed due to performance of the lead singer it was just a stupid theme band like many bands were in 70's and 80's and her theme was to pull faces and all types. But decades later I actually listen to more of their music and think they a great rock band that I should have respected like Midnight Oil, The Angels, Cold Chisel, AC/DC, Rose Tattoo and other great Aussie rock bands of era just before them. Given The Angels and Midnight Oil also had theatrical front men I should have not pigeon holed them.

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Her voice is outstanding. I quite like Easy On Me, very good song.
Her voice is brilliant. Best artist of a very barren couple of decades of real talent. Do not have any albums but her voice is something out of the box.
I more a rock person so a pure singer only not going to buy albums but that voice I heard first watching Underbelly and loved the singer and soul of that style she had.

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Iron Maiden.

They've been around since cocky was an egg yet I couldn't tell you who's in that band or namedrop their discography.
I just remember lead singer was Dickinson. I got the album Powerslave somewhere on cassette. Probably before CD's were even a thing. Not listened to it since 80's I reckon. Wonder if magnetic tape still works on it.

LeakyValve

Club Legend
Nov 26, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Everybody is entitled to their opinion and if everybody liked the same music - well we'd all be stuck with the sh*te that clogs up the charts.

IMO
1. The success of the Beatles was down to more than their music. They were a touchstone of the times and while not a FU to the establishment - they were new and fresh

2. Hey Ya was not the best song so far of the 21st century. Feel Good and Young Folks both great tracks but what you level at Hey Ya .. can also be attributed to Feel Good - if you don't like the tract it can be monotonous.

3. A pop song is a pop song. Usually they have a feel good factor. Either you enjoy it or you don't thats what shuffle is for :p

4. People are listening to Miley and Blurred Lines because thats what they want to listen to - and include me in that number. I have a very eclectic taste but have no bones about saying I'm one of Miley's biggest fans.

5. Agreed on Damon Albarn - he is woefully underrated - he takes chances that don't necessarily appeal to the masses but that has been the way since the dawn of time.

In short - there is a place for all artists because we're all thankfully different
Some are one hit wonders but leave a mark (Ca Plane Pour Moi - Plastic Bertrand - anyone?).
Some rock the commercial airwaves. (Taylor Swift, Miley, Pink, etc)
and then some such as Mr Albarn innovate.
Good man. Stick to your guns.
There is a lot of "one-upmanship" and po-faced sermonising when it comes to what is good music or the true artist.
If it moves your feet or your soul and takes you out of yourself, well good for you.
We all have our guilty pleasures.
(Apart from Oz country. I take issue with that :cool:).

Aug 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal
Her voice is brilliant. Best artist of a very barren couple of decades of real talent. Do not have any albums but her voice is something out of the box.
I more a rock person so a pure singer only not going to buy albums but that voice I heard first watching Underbelly and loved the singer and soul of that style she had.
Gaga another one with a brilliant voice.

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
No Plans might be Cold Chisel best album. Been listening to it in last hour whilst playing Grand Turismo on Playstation and I not sure a better album by theirs in many great ones.

LeakyValve

Club Legend
Nov 26, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Each to their own, concede her pop career suck's balls - but I'm not sure how anyone could deny this sublime performance though:

Love Lady Gaga. Don't care what anybody else says. Christina Aguilera can sing too.
And, at the risk of of tearing down old shibboleths and making everybody moan:

Some times the youngin's are just simply better.

Osho

We haven't changed our position.
Jul 9, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
Love Lady Gaga. Don't care what anybody else says. Christina Aguilera can sing too.
And, at the risk of of tearing down old shibboleths and making everybody moan:

Some times the youngin's are just simply better.

Very nice mash up. Listening with eyes closed, Ella as smooth as silk and CA has some spots of brightness that made me really notice. Ella's breathing wasn't noticeable at all, remarkable, I wonder if it was produced out.

Voices aside, there are other things that make up a singer. I am always moved even excited to watch this, a 70+ year old Aretha tearing this one up.

Back