deanc

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 13, 2014
Waverley
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tasmania
How could anyone forget the awesomeness of Playing to Win?

Playing to Win was the title song of LRB's 2nd studio album with JF which was recorded in the US. It was penned by Farnham, and was LRB's only major hit during Farnham's rather disjointed time with the group.
The writing credits for the song somehow included ALL LRB's band members! The related ludicrous negotiations over credits and future percentage of royalties for the song was the beginning of the end for JF at LRB. Due to this and related ongoing disputes, JF left the band about 12 months later..

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2008
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chelsea, Black Caps, Subiaco
Playing to Win was the title song of LRB's 2nd studio album which was recorded in the US. It was penned by Farnham, and was LRB's only major hit during Farnham's rather disjointed time with the group.
The writing credits for the song somehow included ALL LRB's band members! The related ludicrous negotiations over credits and future percentage of royalties for the song was the beginning of the end for JF at LRB. Due to this and related ongoing disputes, JF left the band about 12 months later..

What about this LRB hit with Farnham? From memory it was a top 10 hit on Countdown, not sure how it went overseas but it was an absolute banga.

Mar 9, 2007
Way over yonder across the hill
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Burnie United FC, Cheddar AFC
What about this LRB hit with Farnham? From memory it was a top 10 hit on Countdown, not sure how it went overseas but it was an absolute banga.

From memory it was close to the first - and best - thing he did with LRB.

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
Stryper actually had some really strong 80s metal that could sit alongside the likes of Maiden or Priest, the strength of their music obviously overlooked by the Bible bashing and silly image, but they could be proper melodic and heavy. Bit of a diamond in the rough discovery.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

Sep 30, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Stryper actually had some really strong 80s metal that could sit alongside the likes of Maiden or Priest, the strength of their music obviously overlooked by the Bible bashing and silly image, but they could be proper melodic and heavy. Bit of a diamond in the rough discovery.

I caught them here when they last toured. Their usual lead guitarist couldn’t tour because of his mums I’ll health or something.

So Michael Sweet had to do lead guitar as well as sing without a rhythm guitar. My god, he is freaking talented that bloke.

Funny story though I guess he doesn’t drink so he was complimenting the Gov on how good their coffee was. The crowd was like, what the? The Gov coffee is s**t. That’s an American for you.

Sep 19, 2007
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I heard 3 covers at the supermarket over the last few weeks. All super slow versions

2 were Sarah Blasko and thought they were terrible.

I Get people love thst stuff but its way too slow and depressing. I went through a number of her other songs and cant stand her style.

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
I heard 3 covers at the supermarket over the last few weeks. All super slow versions

I Get people love thst stuff but its way too slow and depressing. I went through a number of her other songs and cant stand her style.
It's also not original and a cliche now

Sep 30, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
A cover where they just use the same lyrics over a completely different song is not really a cover though, innit? I guess the lyrics are normally the most recognisable parts of a song so usually kept the same to aid familiarity.

But a song that only has the lyrics the same and nothing else is not a cover. Its just a (usually) s**t song that they've put familiar lyrics over to trick you into liking rubbish.

Some covers do small changes of lyrics. Often from a gender perspective. Also have The Ataris version of Boys of Summer change some of the cultural references.

deanc

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 13, 2014
Waverley
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tasmania

I'm also not a big fan of slower and/or reverb cover versions of songs, but of course there are always exceptions, here is two:

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
A cover where they just use the same lyrics over a completely different song is not really a cover though, innit? I guess the lyrics are normally the most recognisable parts of a song so usually kept the same to aid familiarity.

But a song that only has the lyrics the same and nothing else is not a cover. Its just a (usually) sh*t song that they've put familiar lyrics over to trick you into liking rubbish.

Some covers do small changes of lyrics. Often from a gender perspective. Also have The Ataris version of Boys of Summer change some of the cultural references.

I guess you could call it an interpretation, though I think covers should be that anyway, not much point just doing the same thing as the original.

deanc

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 13, 2014
Waverley
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tasmania
Perhaps the most famous cover related to 'gender references' was when the Franklin sisters made some clever small lyrical changes with Aretha's huge hit Respect, which then became an anthem for women's rights/empowerment at the time.
However, the original song written and recorded by Otis Redding was actually about 'a man coming home looking for respect' - his original here for those interested, listen carefully.

Last edited:
Was anyone at this gig and willing to admit it?

If I was, I would have been standing in front of a different stage, the beer line, the portaloo line, anywhere but watching that absolute rubbish. *, I hate that song!

Last edited:
Kelly Clarkson is no Amy Lee
Amy Lee isn't that great compared to some of the European soprano's and mezzo soprano's fronting rock bands, but she is better than Kelly Clarkson.

Back