Unpopular Musical Opinions

Remove this Banner Ad

Check this video below (with the guy in your AV you might appreciate some of the intricacies of the rhythm playing, I find it difficult personally)

I always played it with my pinky making that 'Cobain Chord' (bit too much credit to Kurt calling it that imo). Never realised it was a big deal to add in that note.

Maybe I'm just elite?

I always played it with my pinky making that 'Cobain Chord' (bit too much credit to Kurt calling it that imo). Never realised it was a big deal to add in that note.

Maybe I'm just elite?

Holy s**t I didn't know John Petrucci posted on here!

Ha ha, I never really learnt Teen Spirit until recently, sounded a lot simpler than what it is. For me anyway, I play metal and have not concentrated too much on strumming, means I find riffs like this a bit difficult. (The solo is easy though)

I'm a rough guitarist, so the strumming pattern, open chords, upstrokes, dead notes, etc, all quite easily came to me when it came to playing that.

Ironically I find that sort of style similar to Slash's riffing.

I'm a rough guitarist, so the strumming pattern, open chords, upstrokes, dead notes, etc, all quite easily came to me when it came to playing that.

Ironically I find that sort of style similar to Slash's riffing.

Well I don't play any Guns and Roses either, probably something in the style I find difficult.

Because of course I can play Eruption standing on my head

I will go to my grave thinking the Negative Approach 7" is the greatest hardcore record in history, just above the Minor Threat 'Filler' and Black Flag 'Nervous Breakdown' 7"s

Check this video below (with the guy in your AV you might appreciate some of the intricacies of the rhythm playing, I find it difficult personally)

I wouldn't say its hard, even going through that video. But its a song that is played wrong by a lot of people. The other songs he mentions at the start of the video are exactly the same.

I was playing Enter Sandman wrong for years. So much I find the proper way to play it a bit of a struggle.

I wouldn't say its hard, even going through that video. But its a song that is played wrong by a lot of people. The other songs he mentions at the start of the video are exactly the same.

I was playing Enter Sandman wrong for years. So much I find the proper way to play it a bit of a struggle.

Yeah I'm getting it, strumming is stil difficult for me, there's not a lot of strumming in Metallica, Megadeth etc, most of that stuff is arpeggios in the ballads.

It's a problem when you're playing something wrong for years and try to learn the proper way. Playing along with the recording is the best way to tell, my "band" play Sandman so had to learn it properly recently, was a good exercise.

Yeah I'm getting it, strumming is stil difficult for me, there's not a lot of strumming in Metallica, Megadeth etc, most of that stuff is arpeggios in the ballads.

It's a problem when you're playing something wrong for years and try to learn the proper way. Playing along with the recording is the best way to tell, my "band" play Sandman so had to learn it properly recently, was a good exercise.
Strumming is probably my strength. Accuracy with my finger placement is what I struggle with.

Strumming is probably my strength. Accuracy with my finger placement is what I struggle with.

This exercise has helped a lot with my finger accuracy, I think it works for strumming, riffing or soloing as well. It's easy to remember and you end up fretting every note on the guitar with each finger (except for the first fret)

This guy has some great song analysis vids as well as guitar lessons, similar influences to me as well.

Speaking of Guns n Roses/Van Halen, when Slash played guitar for Michael Jackson, he massacred the solo to Beat It. Sloppy as.

Slash's strength was that legendary clean anthemic tone he got, not his technical ability. It's not surprising that he wouldn't be able to imitate a more technical, metallic stylist like Eddie Van Halen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sometimes i don't mind it if bands change their lineups, it can give them a new lease of life. Look at John 5 with Motley Crue, Megadeth have always had a great lead player, even Paul McCartney's band seem a lot younger than him (from what i saw a few years ago) and he puts on a really good show as a result i reckon.

And you look at bands like Metallica (who I love) and you imagine replacing someone like Kirk who struggles live a bit and they would be heaps better overall.

What do you mean like at Motley Crue with John 5? They haven't written anything new!

I did like Axl with AC/DC though, there's an unpopular one. He insisted on older and deeper songs returning to the live show that Brian would never do.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

What do you mean like at Motley Crue with John 5? They haven't written anything new!

I did like Axl with AC/DC though, there's an unpopular one. He insisted on older and deeper songs returning to the live show that Brian would never do.

Nah but if they do he should be able to help. That dude is an amazing guitar player and so diverse, rock/blues/metal/country I’ve seen him shred, he’s probably some jazz aficionado for all I know

Nah but if they do he should be able to help. That dude is an amazing guitar player and so diverse, rock/blues/metal/country I’ve seen him shred, he’s probably some jazz aficionado for all I know
John 5 writing music to be sung by Vince Neil is a real injustice of the world.

That’s kind of the point though, you won’t notice as much how bad Neil is if John 5 is ripping out solos
Well I will because I listen to bands, not instrumentals. The singer matters. Vince Neil was never great to start and now is worse than ever, especially live. It's actually a disservice to the rest of the band that they have to carry a singer who isn't just past his prime, but probably worse than most people in the audience. It's like Meat Loaf at the grand final, tight as * band, horrible singing, but even worse. Even worse than Meat.

Unfortunately we all know singers are the first members of a band to lose it, and that can't be helped, thanks nature, but you usually hope they don't get to the stage of letting the others down.

Well I will because I listen to bands, not instrumentals. The singer matters. Vince Neil was never great to start and now is worse than ever, especially live. It's actually a disservice to the rest of the band that they have to carry a singer who isn't just past his prime, but probably worse than most people in the audience. It's like Meat Loaf at the grand final, tight as * band, horrible singing, but even worse. Even worse than Meat.

Unfortunately we all know singers are the first members of a band to lose it, and that can't be helped, thanks nature, but you usually hope they don't get to the stage of letting the others down.

Well I'm a huge Megadeth fan so my tolerance for bad vocals is significant ha ha. The instrumental side of things is a lot more important for me generally speaking (could be an unpopular opinion), in fact all of my "funeral" songs are instrumentals.

Well I'm a huge Megadeth fan so my tolerance for bad vocals is significant ha ha. The instrumental side of things is a lot more important for me generally speaking (could be an unpopular opinion), in fact all of my "funeral" songs are instrumentals.
Megadeth fan and A tout le monde not on the list?

Smells fishy.

Slash's strength was that legendary clean anthemic tone he got, not his technical ability. It's not surprising that he wouldn't be able to imitate a more technical, metallic stylist like Eddie Van Halen.

EVH is an all time great.
But cant diss Slash, can ya?
Technical schmetical....
No one remembers anything for its technicality, if there is no musicality.
Slash got tons of musicality.

EVH is an all time great.
But cant diss Slash, can ya?
Technical schmetical....
No one remembers anything for its technicality, if there is no musicality.
Slash got tons of musicality.

When i saw Gunners last year it was amazing how much Slash carries that band. I'm sure the little solo bits are all rehearsed and not quite "off the cuff" exactly but he keeps the show moving while Axl has a break.

And agreed, I mean he's a very good technical player but he's no John Petrucci or whatever. He seems to have an endless stream of licks though and they really are part of the songs, there's not many rock players I can think of who are so crucial to a song's melody than him, he doesn't just play riffs and then solo at the appointed time.

So being listenable is more important than technicality, that I certainly agree with.

No one is expected to be Van Halen, but if you can't play his music like he does, re-write it so you can! Rather than do a very sloppy job. Maybe Slash isn't a tapper?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back