Analysis Unpopular North Board (Football) Opinions

Remove this Banner Ad

I wouldn't mind it if we phased out the land of the giants in the forward line. I think having some hard bastards in Turner and Garner would also allow us the ability to throw Ziebell and Cunnington forward more often without detracting from some defensive pressure.

I thought the three tall set up worked well last year, each seemed to compliment the others and was a good spread of good games by all 3 when one would stand up if the other was struggling (outside the prelim sadly when all three were disappointing).

I would be very surprised if we moved away from the three tall structure - Scott persisted with it even in prior when it wasn't as effective using different players.

I'm hoping we see it begin in 2016 rather than 2017. We have a pretty deep list and think if we are good enough, we can afford more player rotations throughout the year. Resting older heads like Drew and Waite could give us some unpredictability whilst getting some game time into some of the guys who have been knocking on the door for the last year or so.
Rotate them down back......both Drewy and Waite can play as a defender.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The 3 talls up forward has worked well and our ability to exploit that advantage has been good. The downside of course is the opposition exploiting our poor footspeed and inability to apply adequate pressure when it hits the deck..

Changing the set up on occasion will add an element of unpredictability as well as other benefits mentioned in my previous post.

Hi, Rooboys Rool here - long time reader, first time poster.

My potentially unpopular opinion is that even if Daw and Black play all year in the VFL we should keep them on the list in 2017. Reason being is that key position players take so long to develop that we will need them to fill the gap between Petrie/Waite and McKay/Durdin.

Tend to agree, only I think we would struggle to retain them as they would both want out.

And welcome to the board. :thumbsu:

Tend to agree, only I think we would struggle to retain them as they would both want out.

And welcome to the board. :thumbsu:

True. Might depend on our results this year and what Petrie and Waite do at the end of the year. If we win a flag they might both retire, in which case Daw and Black would see a big opening. If no flag, I wouldn't be surprised if Waite retires anyway and Petrie plays on, but who knows really. Daw does have the carrot of being no 2 ruck. Black also is contracted in 2017 (if that means anything?) Guess we'll see. I still have high hopes for both Daw and Black.

And thanks.

Can confirm to you today (from a source within the 4 walls of the club) that B McKay is infact struggling socially and isn't exactly clicking with the boys...

Can confirm to you today (from a source within the 4 walls of the club) that B McKay is infact struggling socially and isn't exactly clicking with the boys...

When Shaun Atley came to the club he was nicknamed Humphrey.

Becasue he barely (bearly?) spoke.

Out of that came the pirates.

So thanks for letting us know that after 2/3 months a kid is finding it a little awkward starting off his dream of playing atan AFL club. Given that first round picks normally get 2/3 year contracts, if it is still an issue in 2017 then we may have a problem.

Till then I think we may be jumping at shadows just a touch.

Sebastian, if this is you and your mum has let you use the computer again, I don't like that you've copied my name. No way am I giving you back your Melbourne Stars headband with Andrew Mahers autograph!!
Sorry buddy. Been using Rooboys Rool in footy tipping for many a year now!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ok guys and girls.

We have a big off season coming up plus our own opinion on future.

I'll start (it can be anything, no "right or wrong".)

Ziebell must be replaced as Captain.

Leadership group needs complete change.

I think McKay will be a flop. He doesn't seem like a player who wants to do everything humanly possible to work hard and succeed at AFL level and win a flag, he comes across as more of a 'happy to be here' type. That's not to say I don't want him to succeed, but that's just the way I see it. Ben Brown is the exact opposite.

As B Tron said, I get the feeling Wood will never make it. Good VFL player, but that doesn't translate to senior level. He's still very young though and with games under his belt already he could prove me very wrong.

Aaron Black will never return to his 2013 form. And 2016 will definitely be his last season at the club. Too many ahead of him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back