Unpopular opinion - Fans pick up little things that clubs overlook

Luv_our_club

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 14, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Fans (or some of them) should be a resource for AFL clubs.

Tom Hawkins in the ruck pushing his opponent in the back and then kicking an easy goal - fans saw it long before clubs saw it and had a solution.

Players running around and kicking for goal on an angle after their mark and nobody defending the arc - fans saw it and even today some clubs don't interrupt the defending players with their own players.

Players kicked the ball then waiting for it to come to them rather than meeting it - fans see it.

Players not pretending to the umps they they are trying to clear the ball at the bottom of a pack - fans see it,

Manning the mark for goal - not having a 2nd player a few feet back and a few feet across to put off the kicker's radar - fans see it.

When you take a mark above your head, bring the ball down to your chest to avoid the late spoil - fans see it.

******* defend the goal line on a long shot at goal!!!!!!

These, and many many many little messages seems to never get through to some clubs or some players. But Fans see them.

I remember until Clarkson the Hawks never manned the mark. They would be too cool for school and put up one hand or none someetimes.

What things do you see that you could tell your club about a player or the team the is SO SIMPLE. Are clubs deaf to feedback from fans.

Last edited:

freddy mercury

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 20, 2009
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Jacksonville
Like how ineffective Jack Ziebell is?

JP2

Club Legend
Apr 7, 2003
Prague
AFL Club
Melbourne
Every week I tell players "just kick the bloody thing!" but they continue to handball to other players sometimes.

I also tell them to "man up" but I often see opposition players who find free space. Try and work that one out.

Once I told an umpire to "buy a pair of glasses" but the next week I saw him umpiring again and he wasn't wearing glasses. (Though, in fairness, he might have been wearing contacts.)

Absolute clown circus amateur hour with these bunch of idiots.

Luv_our_club

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 14, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Clubs know all those.

If they do, which you'd expect they do, why don't they fix them. I would argue that most often they "know of them", but don't necessarily address them.

I saw Hawkins for the first time in the ruck push in the back and goal. 3 weeks later it happens to us without any resistance. And it continued to happen for about 5 weeks total before coaches started to have strategies.

I think we sometimes overestimate the coaching department of clubs. I also think they don't watch every game like we do.

I notice that Richmond is very rarely sleeping on these things.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2003
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Josh Bruce kicked 10 against North and I was like Josh Bruce? Really?? - No way he should be doing that!’ - after that, word got out to the clubs and ever since that day, he’s been held to less than 10 goals.

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
If they do, which you'd expect they do, why don't they fix them. I would argue that most often they "know of them", but don't necessarily address them.

I saw Hawkins for the first time in the ruck push in the back and goal. 3 weeks later it happens to us without any resistance. And it continued to happen for about 5 weeks total before coaches started to have strategies.

I think we sometimes overestimate the coaching department of clubs. I also think they don't watch every game like we do.

I notice that Richmond is very rarely sleeping on these things.

You're confusing coaches noticing something, with being able to stop it. Sometimes they might have told players to do something, that the players don't do, or in others, they need time to work out a reliable way to counter a certain strategy within the bounds of how the team wants to play and what the players are capable of.

You often see one side work out a way to stop a tactic, then see it adopted across the whole league.

Hawkins - for example - must be absurdly strong to be able to manhandle ruckmen and key defenders the way he does, so if your ruckman isn't strong enough to hold his ground with Hawkins throwing them out of the way, how exactly can the coach stop it happening?

Jul 11, 2005
On the Road to A.G
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Geelong
Fans (or some of them) should be a resource for AFL clubs.

Tom Hawkins in the ruck pushing his opponent in the back and then kicking an easy goal - fans saw it long before clubs saw it and had a solution.

Players running around and kicking for goal on an angle after their mark and nobody defending the arc - fans saw it and even today some clubs don't interrupt the defending players with their own players.

Players kicked the ball then waiting for it to come to them rather than meeting it - fans see it.

Players not pretending to the umps they they are trying to clear the ball at the bottom of a pack - fans see it,

Manning the mark for goal - not having a 2nd player a few feet back and a few feet across to put off the kicker's radar - fans see it.

When you take a mark above your head, bring the ball down to your chest to avoid the late spoil - fans see it.

******* defend the goal line on a long shot at goal!!!!!!

These, and many many many little messages seems to never get through to some clubs or some players. But Fans see them.

I remember until Clarkson the Hawks never manned the mark. They would be too cool for school and put up one hand or none someetimes.

What things do you see that you could tell your club about a player or the team the is SO SIMPLE. Are clubs deaf to feedback from fans.
When has he ever done that?
Are you saying when he pushes players in contests? Because what you said there is just a blatant lie.

Back