Unpopular Opinions (Association Football version)

Remove this Banner Ad

But you and I are logical, intelligent, common sense type of people, surprising you're not a (sky) blue really. Most on here have their priorities wrong on this issue.

Nothing you can ever say will convince me that the League cup is worth more than fnishing in the Champions league spots.

Tell me this, if you had the option of winning the league cup or finishing 5th which would you take? Provided that Man City didn't have a wealthy backer.

Winning the league cup nets you around $100,000 pounds.

The qualifiers for the group stage of the Champions league are a minimum of €2.1 million for each team, a minimum of €8.6 Million for the 32 teams in the group stage + €1 million for each win and €500,000 for each draw in the group stage.

If you make it to the final 16 then you get €3.5m each, the quarter-finalists €3.9m and the semi-finalists €4.9m. The eventual winners get €10.5m and the runners-up €6.5m.

All that money can then be used to make your squad better to try and win things again next year, see how it works?

I understand that following a team with unlimited money means you dont need to worry with such trivial matters but for everyone else, our priorties are not wrong.

But you and I are logical, intelligent, common sense type of people, surprising you're not a (sky) blue really. Most on here have their priorities wrong on this issue.
Haha need more of us around here :thumbsu: ;)

Sadly, fell in love with Leicester before I realised just how s**t they were. Wouldn't trade them for any other team though!

I hold the same opinion as you, but I wouldn't call the other side 'wrong'. If all other things are equal, I'd prefer a cup win over 4th place, but the Champions League nets you a ridiculous amount of money (mostly in the form of prizemoney and TV deals), far more than even an FA Cup win. I understand why some sides celebrate 4th, even if it looks patently absurd to many observers.

Well Moomba's team don't have to worry about money and their trophy cabinet is empty, hence why he has that opinion.

Nothing you can ever say will convince me that the League cup is worth more than fnishing in the Champions league spots.

Tell me this, if you had the option of winning the league cup or finishing 5th which would you take? Provided that Man City didn't have a wealthy backer.

Winning the league cup nets you around $100,000 pounds.

The qualifiers for the group stage of the Champions league are a minimum of €2.1 million for each team, a minimum of €8.6 Million for the 32 teams in the group stage + €1 million for each win and €500,000 for each draw in the group stage.

If you make it to the final 16 then you get €3.5m each, the quarter-finalists €3.9m and the semi-finalists €4.9m. The eventual winners get €10.5m and the runners-up €6.5m.

All that money can then be used to make your squad better to try and win things again next year, see how it works?

I understand that following a team with unlimited money means you dont need to worry with such trivial matters but for everyone else, our priorties are not wrong.
I appreciate all that but you've been earning all this money for many years and you still haven't won anything. It's not as black and white as you make it.

I appreciate all that but you've been earning all this money for many years and you still haven't won anything. It's not as black and white as you make it.

And earning even less money would make us even less likely to win anything?

More money = better squad = better chance of winning things

Or do you not subscribe to that logic?

And earning even less money would make us even less likely to win anything?

More money = better squad = better chance of winning things

Or do you not subscribe to that logic?
Did Swansea or Wigan have the best squads last year?

Your side 5 years ago was better than the one you had last season despite the income still coming in.

It's not black and white.

Not unpopular, totally agree. Just like the goal scored by Ramirez against us..I could not tell you the name of the player who passed him the ball before he hit it from the same distance you mentioned. But while its over-rated it still can't be discounted, especially as it can show a player who is consistently in the right, dangerous positions

Assists aren't useless but they have to be viewed in conjunction with key passes ('defence splitting' type passes which don't have to necessarily result in a shot on goal, guys like Silva, Coutinho, Hazard, Cazorla etc typically record high numbers), chances created (pass before a shot on goal) and clear cut chances created (a pass which creates a situation where a player should reasonably be expected to score, usually in a one-on-one scenario or from very close range) in order to get an accurate reflection of how creative a player is.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Based on what?

Thing is FAITH is probably looking at how much Suarez cost and is extrapolating, but there's two points to that.

1) Rodgers didn't buy Suarez.
2) Liverpool's style of play naturally makes strikers look better.

Rodgers brought in Allen, how's he looking? Rodgers also brought in Aspas, and others, and they're not too crash hot either, and weren't too cheap.

Everton have the better manager on Merseyside

Is that meant to be an unpopular opinion? Because if it is, then count me in. Martinez has impressed me so much since going there.

Did Swansea or Wigan have the best squads last year?

Your side 5 years ago was better than the one you had last season despite the income still coming in.

It's not black and white.

It's a cup competetion? You dont have to be the best to win it once off.

Wigan won the fa cup last year. So lets have a look, since 1990 - only 3 clubs other than the traditional/new "rich" clubs have won the fa cup. Tottenham, Wigan and Portsmouth. Both Portsmouth and Wigan have been relegated since.

Swansea won the League cup?....and yet they finished 42 points behind first, 23 points behind 4th and surprise surprise, they are already 21 points behind first so far this season.

Why? Because they dont have the money to improve their squad.

I kinda agree that I don't want Hull winning the League Cup/hitting Europe before we have the funds to properly strengthen our squad. Just look at how Toon and now Swansea are struggling with the added distraction of Europe.

Is that meant to be an unpopular opinion? Because if it is, then count me in. Martinez has impressed me so much since going there.
It will be in here. Liverpool should have got him instead of Rodgers. I wanted him instead of AVB, we would have made the CL if he was manager last year

Remove this Banner Ad

Back