Unpopular Opinions (Association Football version)

Remove this Banner Ad

It'd never happen but I reckon the club world cup / champions league in odd years with Euros and WC in even years as off-season products would be pretty amazing

Makes the off season much longer if your club doesn't play in Europe.

Attendances would also go down for mid table clubs that are playing far more mid week games. .
What if international breaks were lumped into the end of the season? You could put weekend games into those empty slots.

England had 8 games during the season. I think it would be beneficial for clubs if the season ended a month earlier. Then players have a consistent bunch of games for their country after instead of 2 games every 2 months, risk injury, then go back to the club.

LONDON — Representatives of seven of the world’s richest soccer teams, including Manchester United, Barcelona and Real Madrid, visited FIFA on Wednesday for a private meeting aimed at winning the clubs in the increasingly fractious battle to set up a new multibillion-dollar world club championship.

The group also included the English champion Manchester City, Italy’s Juventus, France’s Paris Saint-Germain and the perennial German champion Bayern Munich.

The seven clubs invited to the meeting had combined revenues of more than $4 billion in 2017, and they command a massive global fan base that would be critical to making FIFA’s secretive discussions about the new tournament, code-named “Project Trophy,” a success.

They met one day after the president of UEFA, Aleksander Ceferin, wrote to FIFA’s president, Gianni Infantino, questioning the wisdom of selling an expanded version of FIFA’s annual Club World Cup to a consortium led by Japan’s SoftBank, which runs the world’s largest technology investment fund. Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates are among the fund’s biggest backers.

From the NY Times.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Players who go down and force the ball to be kicked out so they can receive attention should be forced to stay off for 3 mins. Would cut out the fake stuff if they knew their side was down to 10 men for that long

I'd prefer they have to wait for a stoppage. Currently they can run back on whenever can't they?
Yeah the ref lets them back on when he gets a chance. Nah next stoppage would be no penalty. The team with someone off would just put the ball back out

That's their prerogative. I don't see how picking a random number out would serve the game any better.
The point of it is to stamp out fake injuries. Letting teams put the ball out a 2nd time to let someone on doesn't help. Would be good to disadvantage the side with the player off because it'll just be real injuries where players stay down needing treatment

+1 for wait for a stoppage, but to go off the pitch in the first place.

Referees should stop the game only if there is concern for a player's welfare (i.e. a head clash) or an injured player is affecting play. If you are lying on the ground in back play wanting some magic spray and a drink of water then stiff s**t, you can stay there.

Don't think it's unpopular, but if you're found diving - in game or retrospectively - it should be a red with a three game ban.
the retrospective ban is already in and i'm all for

the in game red card would be too dangerous. refs could get it wrong and the player would receive a red & miss out on a pen/FK

The point of it is to stamp out fake injuries. Letting teams put the ball out a 2nd time to let someone on doesn't help. Would be good to disadvantage the side with the player off because it'll just be real injuries where players stay down needing treatment
How often has a fake injury genuinely worked for any team? Honestly don't think it's even worth worrying about.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back