Unpopular Opinions (Association Football version)

Oct 5, 2007
Yorta Yorta country
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
BlueCo
Screenshot_20191210-214239_Samsung Internet.jpg

Mar 11, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Liverpool, Patriots & UConn
Aside from Guardiola's sextuplet win, Leicester winning the PL is the greatest achievement of this decade.

I would think it's an unpopular opinion to think that Leicester winning the PL wasn't the greatest achievement of the decade, including Guardiola's sextuplet win.

ADL9798

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 18, 2009
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool
Don't know, six trophies in a season is perfect. You can't really beat that, can you?

What six trophies did they win? I only count four? League, FA Cup, League Cup, Community Shield..

Given the relative resources and accompanying expectations of the two clubs, I’d have Leicester’s title win as the greater achievement this decade. No question.

Manchester City will have many more seasons where they win a suite of domestic trophies. What Leicester did was far more extraordinary.

If they’d done a European double/treble then they’d have a case, but even then I’d lean towards Leicester I think.

Mar 11, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Don't know, six trophies in a season is perfect. You can't really beat that, can you?

I mean yeah you can. Winning the Premier League with Leicester is a much more difficult task than winning six trophies with Barcelona/Man City/Bayern Munich. I actually don't know what season you're referring to re: Guardiola and if it was even in this decade at all?

Mar 11, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
I meant at Barca guys. - I actually thought it was later than what it was - it was 09/10.

If we aren't counting that, then it's Leicester without a doubt IMO.

They only won four trophies that season. La Liga, UEFA Supercup, Club World Cup and Supercoppa Espana. Not exactly the most arduous quadruple of all time.

Manchester City will have many more seasons where they win a suite of domestic trophies. What Leicester did was far more extraordinary.

If they’d done a European double/treble then they’d have a case, but even then I’d lean towards Leicester I think.

I'd count a domestic treble a bigger achievement than a European treble.

If we were to win the domestic treble again plus the champions League I doubt it would be seen as a bigger achievement than Leicester.

I'm fine with that.

Now that’s an unpopular opinion.
Amongst Liverpool fans I'm sure it is.

But I don't think too many people rate the European Super Cup or Club World Cup much higher than the community shield.

ADL9798

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 18, 2009
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool
Amongst Liverpool fans I'm sure it is.

But I don't think too many people rate the European Super Cup or Club World Cup much higher than the community shield.

I don’t think we’re on the same page with our definitions here.

A true European double is the Premier League + European Cup. A true treble would be throwing in the FA Cup, like United won in 1999.

That’s the pinnacle of success for any club and without a doubt trumps any suite of domestic trophies.

Ranking the trophies (my personal preference):
1. Premier League = Champions League
2. Europa League
3. FA Cup
4. UEFA Super Cup
5. Club World Cup = League Cup = Community Shield

WealstoneRaider

Cancelled
10k Posts I reneged on a bet or agreement :(
Apr 8, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn

A true European double is the Premier League + European Cup. A true treble would be throwing in the FA Cup, like United won in 1999.

That’s the pinnacle of success for any club and without a doubt trumps any suite of domestic trophies.

2. Europa League
3. FA Cup
4. UEFA Super Cup
FA cup ahead of the EL, unless you finished outside the top four and it also got you into the CL.

WealstoneRaider

Cancelled
Apr 8, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Lol at putting the league cup level with the bloody charity shield also. The only good thing about the CS is that it means usually you won either the League or the FA cup. It’s just a pre season friendly match

ADL9798

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 18, 2009
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool
Lol at putting the league cup level with the bloody charity shield also. The only good thing about the CS is that it means usually you won either the League or the FA cup. It’s just a pre season friendly match

The League Cup is a funny one, I think it means different things for different clubs. I’d love to win it, but when you look at the teams fielded by some of the bigger clubs it does damage the credibility of the competition relative to say the FA Cup, which they seem to take more seriously, therefore making it arguably more difficult to win.

UEFA Super Cup > Community Shield for me, mainly because I rate winning the Europa League a greater achievement than the FA Cup.

Last edited:

WealstoneRaider

Cancelled
Apr 8, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The League Cup is a funny one, I think it means different things for different clubs. I’d love to win it, but when you look at the teams fielded by some of the bigger clubs it does damage the credibility of the competition relative to say the FA Cup, which they seem to take more seriously, therefore making it arguably more difficult to win.
I’m not denying it’s a hugely devalued trophy, and has always been the third most lucrative domestic trophy. But I’d still put it way ahead of the CS, which I don’t count as a major honour at all. I don’t treat any of those two team play off trophy/shield thing as a major honour and I don’t think the clubs themselves do either

2. Europa League
3. FA Cup
4. UEFA Super Cup
I'd agree with that, premier league, champions League and fa cup is the ultimate.

Just never heard it referred as a European treble before.

Back