Unpopular Opinions (Association Football version)

Remove this Banner Ad

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Matildas/Socceroos/LFC/MVFC/RCStrasbourg
I guess it depends on your definition of generation.

True. For me I would define a generation as players born over a 5 year range. Eg players born 85-90 IMO is a "generation". Then 90-95 etc. This is my opinion, others may have different definitions of a "generation".

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, SSC Napoli, ESH
Zlatan is overrated IMO.

Had one or two outstanding seasons prior to joining PSG. Can't knock his longevity but I would take a heap of other forwards before him.
Incorrect

Best ball playing target striker of his generation who got even better in his 30s

Did his knee at Man United while banging in the goals there

The guys a freak

A generation when it comes to talking sporting talent is an interesting one, I'd probably put it at 10-15 years because it's not really generations in a literal sense, but more a 'career' generation. E.g. are Chris Judd and Sam Walsh in the same generation of players?

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Respectfully disagree.

I'd take someone like Eto'o ahead of Zlatan.
Surely you haven't watched much of him then if you think he's overrated

His time from Inter Milan to Man United was elite, had a ski in the MLS which most good players do and still banging in the goals on return to Milan at 39-40. Not to mention he is an elite playmaker who could play upfront by himself or in a front 2 or front 3 playing off others setting them up. Even for a Barcelona "flop" he still averaged over a goal every other game for them.

Eto'o faded once he left Italy for big pay days at Anzhi and only had 1 decent stint in Turkey before he retired, Eto'o is only 7 months older than Zlatan also

Zlatan every day of the week

Screenshot_20211004-143744_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Screenshot_20211004-143733_DuckDuckGo.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oct 5, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide Bloods, Man City.
David Villa, Van Persie, Rooney and Torres should be given some consideration imo
david villa could be one of the most underrated players around. a 1 in 2 striker across 750+ club appearances, better than that for the spanish national team, top spanish national team scorer, top world cup spanish goalscorer and won practically everything there is to win

Sep 5, 2014
Hertford
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Manchester United, Stevenage FC
david villa could be one of the most underrated players around. a 1 in 2 striker across 750+ club appearances, better than that for the spanish national team, top spanish national team scorer, top world cup spanish goalscorer and won practically everything there is to win
Absolute gun

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Rooney faded pretty quickly from 28 years old. He now looks like he is about 55 despite only being 36.
Rooney became a huge team player after SAF, either did shifts in midfield or played as a 10 most of his career after SAF, his versatility, selflessness and leadership still on display even when his production started drying up.

Even with Man Uniteds decline, they still won 3 trophies after SAF with Rooney still there being 1 of each of rhe FA Cup, League Cup and Europa League. Also was solid at Everton and DC United afterwards. Gave it away at the right time at Derby, gotta remember he started his English top flight football at 16 and finished his career just after he turned 35 having played top flight for what, 18 seasons? He wasn't babied through the u18s or u21s either, unlike many others.

Easily in the conversation as a great of his generation, definitely one of England's best, took the mantle from Shearer and was succeeded by Kane.

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Villa was elite, I think the main problem with how he's remembered is that he spent a big chunk of his professional career at Gijon, Zaragoza and Valencia before his big move to Barca after the 2010 WC kinda shields peoples perceptions on how good he was for a long time. Many football fans only saw him play for Spain with the odd game in Europe for Valencia for alot of his prime.

Was a decent player for Melbourne City too, went along to watch Rob Koren play for them but he didn't, so watched Villa instead. Not a bad substitute.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back