Unpopular Opinions (Association Football version)

Remove this Banner Ad

I’ve said before that I think he’s a better Liverpool captain than Steven Gerrard was.
Hard to judge. Imagine Gerrard in this team? Gerrard never had a team this good that he could captain. I think the strength of a team can sway opinion.

Hendo's a great captain though, dont know about best leader in the world though but I'm glad he's our captain.

Hard to judge. Imagine Gerrard in this team? Gerrard never had a team this good that he could captain. I think the strength of a team can sway opinion.

Hendo's a great captain though, dont know about best leader in the world though but I'm glad he's our captain.

Banana Chelsea GIF by MolaTV

not the worst shout. was also a big part of off field stuff too.

Just need to look at the way he responded to Maguire getting booed yesterday. He was the player who came out and made a fantastic statement before anyone else (to my knowledge at least). And as you say, easily one of the most involved captains/footballers in off the field initiatives (organising COVID/NHS relief funds, rainbow laces, etc.).

That's before you consider his on field leadership and professionalism, etc. Maybe there's an obvious candidate I'm missing (Simon Kjær perhaps another candidate) but I can't really think of too many figures in football who've demonstrated more comprehensive leadership. I would argue he's possibly Liverpool's greatest ever captain.

How many "best in the world" do Liverpool have now?

Could argue rationally for 5/6 people at the club. Klopp for best manager, Van Dijk for best CB, Alisson for best GK, Salah best wide player/player, Trent at RB and I’ve thrown up Henderson for best leader. Not to say they all are definitively the best, but I think there’s a good case to be made for them all.

I don’t think any of those are so outlandish that they should warrant your disdain. Liverpool are undisputedly one of the best three teams in the world. I’m sure you could easily make similar claims for City and Bayern - and rightfully no one would scoff at you.

How many "best in the world" do Liverpool have now?

It depends on how you judge it. The best players often play forward. But you can't fit Messi, Ronaldo, Kane, Lewandowski, Haaland, Mbappe, Salah, Neymar, Benzema, Son, Mane all in the same team.

If you are picking based on position then maybe Salah, Van Dijk and Robertson get in. For example -

1648669899509.png

It depends on how you judge it. The best players often play forward. But you can't fit Messi, Ronaldo, Kane, Lewandowski, Haaland, Mbappe, Salah, Neymar, Benzema, Son, Mane all in the same team.

If you are picking based on position then maybe Salah, Van Dijk and Robertson get in. For example -

View attachment 1359163
Messi? It's not 2018.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Costa Rica is going to be difficult for them, but its funny hearing people call it a foregone conclusion when its likely to be a 1 off match at a neutral venue.
Still gonna be closer than we will be... we should be doubting even beating UAE most likely in the middle East

He won the Ballon d'Or as recently as November 2021. Check out the highlights of this week's WC qualifier v Venezuela. The great man still has it,

He spuds it up every week for psg. Fred has more league goals than him this season.

Well it seems I'm in the right thread!

But this was a sidetrack of my answer to moomba's question 'How many "best in the world" do Liverpool have now'? I thought Robertson was the one people might question.
Not even the best right back from Scotland.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back