Unpopular Opinions (Association Football version)

thats mostly because their team is better than ours
Are they really better though? No doubt we're s**t but I don't think NZ are any better than we are. A 5-0 win over the Solomons is like when we beat Nepal by the same margin. We're probably level-pegging with them tbh. It'd be interesting to see where NZ would finish up if they were in the AFC like us. I think they'd do enough to make the final round but probably sit at an Oman/Iraq level and just fall short of the play-offs.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide Bloods, Man City.
Are they really better though? No doubt we're s**t but I don't think NZ are any better than we are. A 5-0 win over the Solomons is like when we beat Nepal by the same margin. We're probably level-pegging with them tbh. It'd be interesting to see where NZ would finish up if they were in the AFC like us. I think they'd do enough to make the final round but probably sit at an Oman/Iraq level and just fall short of the play-offs.
chris wood is better than everyone we've got

Mar 11, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Liverpool, Patriots & UConn
Not sure whether this is unpopular or not, but I think once City win the league title this season there can be no dispute that Guardiola's Manchester City is the greatest English league side of the PL era (perhaps of all time).

4 out of 5 titles and won a bunch of domestic cups along the way. 100, 98, 95 point seasons - which are 1st, 3rd, =5th best in PL history. Individual players with the quality to rival any other team from any other era. Will add yet more titles in the years to come.

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, SSC Napoli, ESH
Ole is actually a solid manager

He has one of the worst midfields in the league with a bunch of blokes who are either past it, or not up to it.

Reminds me of Arsenal in Arsenes final years, all the money mainly spent in the final 3rd, not enough in the middle of the park. Boy they need a Carrick, Keane and Scholes in there ASAP
Yep

Ole a genius tbf, got the best out of that rabble

Aug 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal
Not sure whether this is unpopular or not, but I think once City win the league title this season there can be no dispute that Guardiola's Manchester City is the greatest English league side of the PL era (perhaps of all time).

4 out of 5 titles and won a bunch of domestic cups along the way. 100, 98, 95 point seasons - which are 1st, 3rd, =5th best in PL history. Individual players with the quality to rival any other team from any other era. Will add yet more titles in the years to come.
Not a bad call, but like you said, probably not unpopular.

Sep 11, 2003
Slovenia
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool
It's not about finishing 2nd or 3rd or 4th being a success. It's about moving the club forward, and on that score United haven't had a good manager since about t years before Ferguson quit.
Would suggest finishing position is part of the equation when evaluating whether a club has moved forward. Big teams who are financially adventorous strive to finish high in the league, qualify for the champions league and win trophies.

Would suggest finishing position is part of the equation when evaluating whether a club has moved forward. Big teams who are financially adventorous strive to finish high in the league, qualify for the champions league and win trophies.
Part of the equation, but only a part. In the long run Mourinho took over a team that had finished 5th, and finished 6th, 2nd (19 poi ts behind the champions) and 6th (when sacked). He spent £300m on new players, 3 of which are still at the club (Lindelof, Dalot and Fred).

So getting United into the champions league, something they've done 4 times in 8 years since Ferguson left isn't that great of an achievement in my book. By far the more significant achievement for me was adding a few cups to the trophy cabinet.

Shoei

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 26, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal

Its hard as on one hand all that is all true but on the other when you can spend an unlimited amount of money to create squads that contain such quality you'll get a disinterested shrug from most when comparing Pep's achievements to everyone else.

Back