Opinion Unpopular Opinions: Dons Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep judge him on one game.
Kicks at plus 80%.
Is not slower than Heppell.
But hey who said opinions needed to contain any truth :cool:
Ran at 67% Saturday night which from 12 disposals is poor.

He also runs at 211 metres gained for the season or 15m per disposal which to me suggests he takes short safe slow options.

Whilst I can cop that means hes playing to his ability, its the kind of disposal I expect from a tall guy like Zerk, from our medium and small guys I want more attacking aggressive disposals. It's been the hallmark of our play this season so we do lose a little of that replacing Mass/Hind with Kelly.

Of course then we get people annoyed with the lack of defensive effort those 2 bring, which Kelly brings in spades so really it's a case of pick your poison. Do they want the attacking aggressive option or the defensive one. You can't have both.

Jake Kelly's nickname should be.....

ah forget it

Ran at 67% Saturday night which from 12 disposals is poor.

He also runs at 211 metres gained for the season or 15m per disposal which to me suggests he takes short safe slow options.

Whilst I can cop that means hes playing to his ability, its the kind of disposal I expect from a tall guy like Zerk, from our medium and small guys I want more attacking aggressive disposals. It's been the hallmark of our play this season so we do lose a little of that replacing Mass/Hind with Kelly.

Of course then we get people annoyed with the lack of defensive effort those 2 bring, which Kelly brings in spades so really it's a case of pick your poison. Do they want the attacking aggressive option or the defensive one. You can't have both.
You can interpret this for or against him depending on your preference but he has quite high TOG as well – which either helps the rotations or makes his other stats look worse 🤷‍♀️

You can interpret this for or against him depending on your preference but he has quite high TOG as well – which either helps the rotations or makes his other stats look worse 🤷‍♀️
:p like all stats you can manipulate it to be bad or good

I don't see a lot of top teams carrying s**t defenders behind the ball either. You're too obsessed with one of them when we're still a couple of years away from contending and Kelly, if he's still on the list, won't be playing senior football anyway.

Kelly is a short term stop gap as a defender. He also helps us reach the salary cap floor as a competent AFL level player, and provides experience to the third youngest and 3rd least experienced list in the AFL.

That’s a long paragraph to say “he’s not a very good AFL player but it doesn’t matter”

I think the Kelly pickup made sense at the time when it appeared that Essendon needed an accountable mid/Small defender and there didn’t appear to be any other options on the list or reasonably priced who met the breif.

Now that BP who doesn’t use the ball is the only position McGrath has been able to settle into at afl level, Kelly seems somewhat redundant.

That’s a long paragraph to say “he’s not a very good AFL player but it doesn’t matter”

I think the Kelly pickup made sense at the time when it appeared that Essendon needed an accountable mid/Small defender and there didn’t appear to be any other options on the list or reasonably priced who met the breif.

Now that BP who doesn’t use the ball is the only position McGrath has been able to settle into at afl level, Kelly seems somewhat redundant.
He is a good AFL player. He's a good defender. You've read what you wanted to read there.

I don’t have an issue with Kelly individually as a player, he’s a quality defender. He just offers nothing bringing it out of defence and hinders our movement more often than not when playing alongside other defenders who have limitations going the other way such as Laverde, BZT, Heppell (depending on the day). And I prefer those guys to Kelly which is where the problem arises and has me wanting Hind in his spot.

My unpopular opinion is that we'll never see an Essendon team like the 99/2000/01 side ever again. They were like watching the harlem globetrotters and were the perfect list!! It was peak Essendon. We had young players that were also great at basketball, hence why most of the team were strong at marking and were good at the flick to the side pass or the tunnel through the leg passes. The fast tap-on passes. They had it all. Now that's over and done with, we now have a team who don't even know what "taking a mark" means. I'm not even sure they are aware that's a skill of playing football.

My unpopular opinion is that we'll never see an Essendon team like the 99/2000/01 side ever again. They were like watching the harlem globetrotters and were the perfect list!! It was peak Essendon. We had young players that were also great at basketball, hence why most of the team were strong at marking and were good at the flick to the side pass or the tunnel through the leg passes. The fast tap-on passes. They had it all. Now that's over and done with, we now have a team who don't even know what "taking a mark" means. I'm not even sure they are aware that's a skill of playing football.
Probably true, given we damn near broke the salary cap with that list, equalisation would never let you near it again, and even if it did the talent pool has been diluted a bit more since then (and will be again soon).

Maybe in 50 years, if they stop expanding and invest in pathways, but most of us will be dead by then so we won't see it anyway.

Probably true, given we damn near broke the salary cap with that list, equalisation would never let you near it again, and even if it did the talent pool has been diluted a bit more since then (and will be again soon).

Maybe in 50 years, if they stop expanding and invest in pathways, but most of us will be dead by then so we won't see it anyway.
Speak for yourself

That 2000 year was surreal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFL team let alone an Essendon team.

I don’t have an issue with Kelly individually as a player, he’s a quality defender. He just offers nothing bringing it out of defence and hinders our movement more often than not when playing alongside other defenders who have limitations going the other way such as Laverde, BZT, Heppell (depending on the day). And I prefer those guys to Kelly which is where the problem arises and has me wanting Hind in his spot.
The real problem is Hind should be in Heppell's spot. Hep is playing well and leading well but he is actually playing in a spot ( half back flank ) that most like to play their attacking defenders. Not many sides are playing attack from both back pockets. I am going for the better defender to play back pocket.

I believe as Richmond has inserted the term yellow and black in the club song lyrics we will insert the words “WOAH” after the first verse when it says premiership flag (“insert WOAH”) and the the very end of the song after the last words bombers fly up (“insert WOAH”)

Well that was an all time great team for a reason.

The best way to do it is get a lot of Gun Father Son players.

20% discount on draft pick + cheap rookie contract for a few years allows you to get multiple first rounders into the mix.

The hard part is having a forward line with two players as good as Lloyd and Lucas.

Hawkins/Cameron is almost equivalent but they were never in their primes together

Ben Hobbs gives away more free kicks than he earns due to poor tackling technique and a lack of situational awareness.

Who built that list? Don't hire that guy again. I don't want my football team treating the game with such contempt; basketball backgrounds. FFS.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back