Remove this Banner Ad

Crows_United_FC

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 25, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide United
Simple post your Unpopular opinions in this thread!

I'll start:

CM Punk's in-ring ability is overrated. Yes he could put on good matches but he's not 'the best' in-ring performer like a lot of wrestling fans claim he is. Cesaro and Bryan have way better in-ring skills than him. Also he botches at least once a match!! Very sloppy at times.

Kane should win the WWE Championship before he retires.

Goldust should win either the US/IC title before he (fully) retires.

Luke Harper should be a maineventer and a future WWE champion.

TNA should bring in a few older wrestlers to try and win over the old fans!

I hate TNA's new PPV schedule.

Bully Ray is the best Heel in Pro Wrestling today!

:thumbsu:

CM Punk's in-ring ability is overrated. Yes he could put on good matches but he's not 'the best' in-ring performer like a lot of wrestling fans claim he is. Cesaro and Bryan have way better in-ring skills than him. Also he botches at least once a match!! Very sloppy at times.

The problem right now is that the WWE do not have many performers who have excellent in ring ability. Put him in the era of Guerrero, Angle, Benoit, etc. and he'd fit right in and have regular MOTY contenders. I agree that Bryan has better in ring ability, slightly disagree with Cesaro though he is exceptional as well.

Kane should win the WWE Championship before he retires.

Agreed.

Goldust should win either the US/IC title before he (fully) retires.

Wouldn't mind this.

Luke Harper should be a maineventer and a future WWE champion.

Don't disagree or agree. He is very good. Champion? It's a wait and see. He could very well do it.

TNA should bring in a few older wrestlers to try and win over the old fans!

Sarcasm at its best, I hope? They've done this already and it's gotten them nowhere. They should cut most of their former big names, keep the ones that can still go, and focus on the younger guys with potential and/or those who are already there.

I hate TNA's new PPV schedule.

I don't disagree. I hate the ones where they're filmed months ahead of time. They're pointless.

Bully Ray is the best Heel in Pro Wrestling today!

I enjoy watching Bully Ray and cheer for him. You're not supposed to cheer for heels. You're supposed to hate them. If you want an example of a heel who does his job exactly right then look no further than Bo Dallas in NXT

I'll add....

• Leo Kruger should never change his gimmick (even if he has displayed another one at house shows) - Kruger is perfect as he is.
  • Chris Hero didn't have the dedication or the desire to improve past the level that he is currently at - he was too comfortable in himself and had too big of an ego to make it in the WWE.
  • The WWE needs to give a good push to Drew McIntyre and Tyson Kidd in 2014.
  • While they have Lesnar and Batista the WWE Universe needs to see a fatal four way for the championship between Cena, Orton, Lesnar and Batista.
  • John Cena puts on much better matches than a lot of his critics will acknowledge
  • John Cena has an ability to invest people into his feuds better than almost anyone in the WWE
  • Randy Orton should NOT be the champion
  • The WWE need to decide if the Miz can be a main event guy again. If not then they should cut him from the roster.

My responses in BOLD!

The problem right now is that the WWE do not have many performers who have excellent in ring ability. Put him in the era of Guerrero, Angle, Benoit, etc. and he'd fit right in and have regular MOTY contenders. I agree that Bryan has better in ring ability, slightly disagree with Cesaro though he is exceptional as well.
Yeah I get what you're saying about not enough quality opponents but I still think that he's sloppy at times.

Agreed.

Wouldn't mind this.
He still quite good in the ring and he can still cut great promos!

Don't disagree or agree. He is very good. Champion? It's a wait and see. He could very well do it.
Yep he's good in the ring (for a big wrestler) and is good on the mic.

Sarcasm at its best, I hope? They've done this already and it's gotten them nowhere. They should cut most of their former big names, keep the ones that can still go, and focus on the younger guys with potential and/or those who are already there.
I'm talking about big names like Goldberg etc... They need an former 'star' of the business and try attract the older audience that has left WWE years ago! Hogan flopped in TNA because well he can't be used in a wrestling role.

I don't disagree. I hate the ones where they're filmed months ahead of time. They're pointless.
Yep the PPV Tapings are horrible!

I enjoy watching Bully Ray and cheer for him. You're not supposed to cheer for heels. You're supposed to hate them. If you want an example of a heel who does his job exactly right then look no further than Bo Dallas in NXT

I'll add....

• Leo Kruger should never change his gimmick (even if he has displayed another one at house shows) - Kruger is perfect as he is.
Agree.
  • Chris Hero didn't have the dedication or the desire to improve past the level that he is currently at - he was too comfortable in himself and had too big of an ego to make it in the WWE.
Agree. I like Chris Hero and all but when he was in NXT he didn't show any passion and desire to take his game to the next level.
  • The WWE needs to give a good push to Drew McIntyre and Tyson Kidd in 2014.
Definitely agree with this. I'm not the biggest fan of McIntyre but he doesn't deserve the position that he's currently in.
  • While they have Lesnar and Batista the WWE Universe needs to see a fatal four way for the championship between Cena, Orton, Lesnar and Batista.
That would actually make sense though. Definitely agree with this as well.
  • John Cena puts on much better matches than a lot of his critics will acknowledge
Partly agree. He can put some good matches when in big matches, but tends to slacken off when he's in meaningless matches on RAW
  • John Cena has an ability to invest people into his feuds better than almost anyone in the WWE
Partly agree with this as well. When he's not talking about his poopy jokes and crap he could cut a hell of a promo. That's the problem though. He cuts too many crappy "I respect each and every one of you" BLAH BLAH BLAH!
  • Randy Orton should NOT be the champion
Disagree. Face Orton shouldn't be champion but the current heel Orton should! He's a much better heel than he is face.
  • The WWE need to decide if the Miz can be a main event guy again. If not then they should cut him from the roster.
They'll never put Miz in the mainevent again, as well as they'll never release him. He's too valuable to them. By that I mean he's the perfect guy to do all their promotional stuff!

crows is spot on about punk, especially the sloppiness. ive been a fan of his for over 10 years now but he is absolutely overrated by the internet. to have had him in there with guerrero or benoit would only make those points clearer.

i disagree with the opening line, but even if true thats not really an argument against him being overrated.

Re: Orton -- to be the champion in a company with now ONE undisputed top champion you need to A) be the best heel on the roster (or considered as such) or B) Be enough over with the crowd to be the face champion, Orton is neither. The WWE crippled his current heel (and title) run by pussyfying him (against a weaker in appearance Daniel Bryan) and also at the expense of getting The Authority (Triple H and Stephanie McMahon) over with the universe as the leading heels in the company (even with Vince McMahon publicly saying that in the current era there are no heels or faces dynamic). You ask any guy with a knowledge of the history of the business and they all tell you one thing -- that the champion is responsible for carrying the remainder of the roster. You cannot tell me in good faith that you believe Orton can do that. If you do, then, I'm sorry but you're nuts.

It was made crystal clear that the only reason why Orton is champion is because the authority needed someone, almost anyone to carry the strap that wasn't Daniel Bryan or John Cena. Orton made the most natural sense given his history with Triple H. While that may work for the down months of the year (ie. between Survivor Series and the Royal Rumble) when it comes to main eventing the biggest "showcase of the immortals" that the company has ever put on you need someone that the fans absolutely hate and want to see get their ass kicked but there has to be a legitimate fear that he isn't going to get that ass beating (through a means other than a screw job, i.e. that he can hold his own -- example: Triple H in his prime, the crowd wanted to see him get an ass beating by Rock, Austin, Taker, Batista at the end of Evolution but you weren't certain it was going to happen because you knew he could more than hold his own). Unfortunately, the position that they've painted Orton to be in the crowd expect to see Orton get his ass kicked because he's, by and large, been given the cowardice heel role. It doesn't suit a champion heading into Wrestlemania which is supposed to be immortal vs immortal.

I agree with you with the Miz. However, I believe that he is losing that aura of being the perfect guy to do their promotional stuff. Reason being is that his popularity has taken such a significant hit over the past twelve to eighteen months that he no longer truly matters.

In regards to TNA signing a Goldberg... You have to have the money to be able to do that. So much of what TNA has done over the past 12-18 months has been cost cutting measures. Throw that in with irregular payments to the talent that they already have on the roster and it just does not make any sense at all that TNA will go out and sign a Goldberg or some other former big name superstar. At this stage I don't even think that they'd have the money to sign a B or C level star like Christian if they wanted to. They've struggled in contract negotiations with AJ Styles who is the most loyal guy that they've ever had. If they were in a better financial position there is no way, no how that they don't come to arrangements to keep him. They don't even let him see out his contract before re-signing him.

Re: Cena - I agree with what you're saying. However, it was the manner in which he promoted TLC that cemented my opinion for him. I really could have given less than a single * about the PPV before Cena cut those promos on Orton. That invested me into their match in a way that nothing else could. Therein lays the problem for me and Orton. I shouldn't have needed an epic promo to be invested in what for all intents and purposes was billed to be one of the most significant matches in the history of the company.

As for the sloppiness of CM Punk, I'll agree to a certain point. However, he is still the complete package by current WWE standards. It's more of an indictment on the rest of the roster than what it is on Punk. I believe he lacks motivation to consistently (constantly) give his absolute level best each and every match. I believe that in itself is a recipe for sloppiness. I do believe that if you had a roster with guys like Guerrero, Benoit, Jericho, Angle, etc, etc. that the sloppiness would not be present in as greater amount as what it is currently. If those other guys were around then week in week out he'd know that he had to bring his A game to hang with those guys. For that reason I'd love to see Kurt Angle back. I guarantee you that Punk would have one of the best series of matches that you would have the pleasure of witnessing and that there would be no discussion about sloppiness at all.

wwe has heaps of great wrestling and the chances of seeing a really good or great match on any given tv show are as high or higher than theyve ever been (especially if you include nxt). the top 10 tv matches of 2013 would stack up VERY well against the top 10 from any other year in the companies history.

i think people who complain about the lack of wrestling 'these days' have an incredibly romanticized view of the past.

Shorter title reigns are more enjoyable. Not too short, but nothing more than 6+ months.

- The Attitude Era was overrated.
- WWE should never have bought WCW.

Disagree entirely on the first point. I tend to agree on the second somewhat. When you eliminate your competition you lack any competition to strive to continue to improve your product which ultimately pushes you into an era of mediocrity. I believe that the WWE should never have obliterated WCW to the extent that they did. What they should have done is kept both as separate entities and installed Survivor Series as a WWE Vs WCW pay per view. If the industry went into a slower era, such as the past few years, then you could have all out war between the rosters culminating in the death of WCW. It could (should) have been so much better than what it turned out to be.

Shorter title reigns are more enjoyable. Not too short, but nothing more than 6+ months.

I think the one thing that we'll miss if the WWE keep the WWE World Heavyweight Championship unified is the ability to have both long reigns and short to medium reigns with multiple belts. Sure, we can do that with the WWE WHC and the IC/US titles but they need to firmly establish the IC and US titles as genuine titles like they used to be. Dean Ambrose last defended the US title in October so there is little significance in that title beyond it being a prop. They have a good opportunity to promote the IC title with Big E holding the strap.

Casuals old timers getting WrestleMania matches prevents prime-of-their-career midcarders from having WrestleMania matches and storylines that actually mean something and would likely be better.

People go "Why does WWE have trouble making new stars???" the other 11 months of the year. It's because these wrestlers can't be stars the month and night everyone is watching.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree with you. It really pissed me off when Batista tweeted what he did the other day about Del Rio being a C class star in a B class era. Sure, he deleted it hours later but the damage had been done.

A B class era? Compared to what? The attitude era, yeah? Well Batista came after that. Thus, what he's really saying without him realizing it, is that he's partly responsible for taking the Attitude Era into the B class era that we have now.

Idiot.

- The Attitude Era was overrated.
If the tip of the scale to be measured as the greatest you can get in professional wrestling, then it will be the Attitude Era by a mile.
Most of their Low-Mid card wrestlers would be High and ME card wrestlers today. The Radicalz were Low to Mid card, not many wrestlers on that roster were useless. Highest rating time of wrestlers, broke through social barriers etc.

WWE should never have bought WCW.
Agreed, and if they didn't the Attitude Era would have continued on and the Ruthless Aggression era would have been even greater.

Most of their Low-Mid card wrestlers would be High and ME card wrestlers today. The Radicalz were Low to Mid card, not many wrestlers on that roster were useless. Highest rating time of wrestlers, broke through social barriers etc..

I like looking at the 1999 Royal Rumble pay per view to demonstrate just how incredible the depth in the WWE was at the time.

Pre-show (Heat): Jeff Hardy Vs Christian, Bob Holly & Scorpio Vs Too Much (Christopher & Taylor) and Foley Vs Mabel

Big Boss Man Vs Road Dogg
Ken Shamrock Vs Billy Gunn
X-Pac Vs Gangrel
Sable Vs Luna
The Rock Vs Mick Foley

Scrubs in the Rumble: Golga, Gillberg, Kurrgan, Blue Meanie

Everyone else in the Rumble: Austin, Vince, Droz (who would have had a good career if not for the career ending injury), Edge, Blackman, Dan Severn, Tiger Ali Singh, Mabel, Road Dogg, Gangrel, Al Snow, Goldust, The Godfather, Kane, Shamrock, Billy Gunn, Test, Boss Man, Triple H, Val Venis, X-Pac, Henry, Jarrett, D'Lo Brown, Owen Hart, Chyna

Seriously aside from half a dozen on the card the crowd would have been invested in almost everybody else. Compare that to today where you have every second or third guy where the crowd really doesn't care (compared to the above card).

Consider that there was another major company at the time in WCW who held Souled Out the same month with the following card;

Chris Benoit Vs Mike Enos
Norman Smiley Vs Chavo Jr
Finlay Vs Van Hammer
Bam Bam Bigelow Vs Wrath
Lex Luger Vs Konnan
Jericho (w/ Ralphus) Vs Perry Saturn
Kidman Vs Rey VsJuventud Vs Psychosis
Ric Flair & David Flair Vs Barry Windham & Curt Hennig
Goldberg Vs Scott Hall

Others not on that card -- Booker T, Disco Inferno, Nash, Scott Steiner, DDP, Hogan, Bret Hart, British Bulldog, Kanyon, Malenko, Eddie Guerrero, Giant (Big Show), Jim Neidhart, Hugh Morrus, LA Parka, Luger, Jannetty, Randy Savage, Rick Steiner, Roddy Piper, Sting, Vampiro
Just incredible depth during that era and a lot of it wasn't even in the WWE yet that Rumble lineup is stronger than what the WWE puts out today.

I think the above post shows just how wrong trawp is. The idea that 'most' of those lower card guys would be upper card/main eventers today is totally absurd

I vehemently disagree. Let's take a look at the 2013 Royal Rumble

Good competitors (crowd invested more or more than just a random appearance): Ziggler, Jericho, Rhodes, Kingston, Sheamus, Tensai, Brodus, Mysterio, Barrett, Cena, Sandow, Bryan, Cesaro, Kane, Orton, The Miz, Ryback

Competitors booked as a joke or one off random appearance: Santino, McIntyre, O'Neil, Otunga, Goldust, Slater, Young, Bo Dallas, Godfather, Khali, Ryder, Mahal, Sin Cara

12 of 30 (40%) of the Royal Rumble match featured guys that the WWE was not serious about booking properly. Contrast this to 4 (13.3%) in 1999. All but four of the other bouts featured guys who also doubled up in the Rumble match (Del Rio, Big Show, CM Punk and The Rock).

In the Attitude Era we had guys who were forced to sit out due to prolonged injuries. The show went on without a hitch. This era? They rush John Cena back from a six month injury within two and a half months. He's still clearly not close to one hundred percent.

If you count Foley/Rock as the main event singles match of the Rumble pay per view across 12 pay per views 10 superstars main evented a pay per view. There were NO double up pay per view main events (as in every pay per view had a different main event from the last).

In 2013 across 12 pay per views 12 superstars main evented. However, note ,this included a MITB match including the likes of Ryback (whose extremely low on the totem pole now so it did nothing for him), Christian (who hasn't been on TV much since due to injury or having nothing for him). Twice (5 pay per views of 12 in total) we were subjected to consecutive pay per view main events featuring the same guys (Royal Rumble and Elimination Chamber with Rock Vs CM Punk; Night of Champions, Battleground and Hell in a Cell with Orton Vs Bryan). Every pay per view since Extreme Rules (Brock Lesnar Vs Triple H -- two part timers) has featured at least one of Orton or Cena in the main event.

I
Scrubs in the Rumble: Golga, Gillberg, Kurrgan, Blue Meanie

Everyone else in the Rumble: Austin, Vince, Droz (who would have had a good career if not for the career ending injury), Edge, Blackman, Dan Severn, Tiger Ali Singh, Mabel, Road Dogg, Gangrel, Al Snow, Goldust, The Godfather, Kane, Shamrock, Billy Gunn, Test, Boss Man, Triple H, Val Venis, X-Pac, Henry, Jarrett, D'Lo Brown, Owen Hart, Chyna
bold should be in the scrubs list based on popularity at the time - servern and bossman are also borderline

that rumble is probably the worst in terms of star power in history. maybe one of the mid 90s ones where they'd get random mexicans or japanese to pad out the numbers. literally two main eventers (austin/kane), a non-wrestler (vince), one not far from being a breakout star (HHH) and the rest IC-level types

I'm talking about big names like Goldberg etc... They need an former 'star' of the business and try attract the older audience that has left WWE years ago! Hogan flopped in TNA because well he can't be used in a wrestling role.

do you mean like kurt angle or scott steiner or booker t or kevin nash or sting or jeff hardy

Any match not the final match of the show is not a main event. You can say a match was headlining but that doesn't make it a main event. Rock vs Hogan in 2002 was not a main event. John Cena vs whoever before the last match is not a main event. WWE promoting more than one match doesn't mean there's multiple main events.

I think the above post shows just how wrong trawp is. The idea that 'most' of those lower card guys would be upper card/main eventers today is totally absurd
Lenny99 summed it up, 7 scrubs in the list out of 30. 2 of which (Test and Henry) who later become stars anyways.

Looking through last years Royal Rumble match I can name more than 7 already plus a lot of border line ones who are mid carders anyways.

Any match not the final match of the show is not a main event. You can say a match was headlining but that doesn't make it a main event. Rock vs Hogan in 2002 was not a main event. John Cena vs whoever before the last match is not a main event. WWE promoting more than one match doesn't mean there's multiple main events.

Co-Main Events.

Lenny99 summed it up, 7 scrubs in the list out of 30. 2 of which (Test and Henry) who later become stars anyways.

Looking through last years Royal Rumble match I can name more than 7 already plus a lot of border line ones who are mid carders anyways.
um, there were 11. the 7 i bolded plus the 4 already identified. 3 main eventers (including one who was a non-wrestler), and 16 mid carders

Remove this Banner Ad

Back