Social Science Unpopular Opinions you have (non-football) Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Teachers get paid too much for the amount of holidays they get.

A necessary compensation as raising future generations is about the most important preparation any government can take.

Having said that some teachers are unbelievable morons - truly daft people, and others are inspirational.

Being a teacher would suck these says.

Kids are s**t.

All heads stuck in their phones/tablets.

Couldnt imagine trying to discipline one... "I know my rights"... then you're sacked for some s**t reason

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

And yet so few people want to go into teaching and something like 50% of new teachers leave teaching in the first few years. If it was such a breeze you would think everyone would be clambering to become one.
Never said it was a breeze.

The disparity of quality between teachers can be astounding. Some just know how to go about getting a class to listen and learn, others have zero control and just break (like my year 9 maths teacher)

Teachers get paid too much for the amount of holidays they get.
we don't do enough to make schools better, we are going down the US education path, a race to to the bottom unless your kid gets a scholarship or you are rich

a good basic education is the foundation, too many people piss and moan about the cost the wonder why the house is sinking

The disparity of quality between teachers can be astounding. Some just know how to go about getting a class to listen and learn, others have zero control and just break (like my year 9 maths teacher)

It's largely driven by entrance requirements. Set the bar too high and you don't end up with enough teachers. Set it too low and any dumb/lazy kent can do it.

Being a teacher isn't a bad job pay wise in 2018, but that wasn't always the case. I had friends starting out doing it around the mid 2000s and the wages relative to the rising costs of living were pretty s**t and it took a while to catch up. Like most things, if you're 40+ you could have it made. If you're 30 and a s**t box 3 bedroom house in Langford costs you $500k then you're not going to be living the high life as a teacher.

Money is just one aspect of it. How good a school is and how much the kids get out of their teachers is massively dependent on the parents. $25k a year PSA schools aren't good simply because they have money to afford good teachers and good facilities. Parents are invested in their kids' education (even if they're just going to coast on old school networking anyway...). If your default position as a parent is to be your kid's friend and side with them against the teacher(s) then you're a *en idiot. If your think the job of the education system is to babysit your kid and teach them life basics, you're a *en idiot.

Being a teacher (I'm not) is like running a business (I don't). People who don't do it and have never done it have an opinion they think is important and you need to hear.

I think these machines are a scam.

I fail to see how a huge metal machine that requires power and pipes and many metals and minerals to build and maintain is better for the environment than some plastic bottles.

I would like to know how many litres of water needs to be purchased from them until they are considered better for the environment than a plastic bottle.

IE; canvas shopping bags need to be used 300~ times before they are more environmentally friendly that a cheap plastic bag.

Home-Slider3.jpg

Its a machine that will refill your water bottles for a price, way more environmentally friendly than bottled water or a tap :think:
the number of people that don't drink tap water in places where it is perfectly fine is staggering

I was in Hobart the other month for work and the guy I was there with was drinking bottled water, he thought I was weird for drinking the tap water, acted like I was in Bali or something

the number of people that don't drink tap water in places where it is perfectly fine is staggering

I was in Hobart the other month for work and the guy I was there with was drinking bottled water, he thought I was weird for drinking the tap water, acted like I was in Bali or something
I have been drinking distilled water for about five years. I hate the smell and taste of chlorine in drinking water, and what's left at the bottom of the distiller is repugnant.

However, I don't advocate plastic bottled water either.

I have been drinking distilled water for about five years. I hate the smell and taste of chlorine in drinking water, and what's left at the bottom of the distiller is repugnant.

Where are you living in Melbourne that your water smells strongly of chlorine?

we don't do enough to make schools better, we are going down the US education path, a race to to the bottom unless your kid gets a scholarship or you are rich

a good basic education is the foundation, too many people piss and moan about the cost the wonder why the house is sinking

True why don't teachers if they want to whinge so much just go on a House of Cards style strike for 4 months? Leave the teens and kids to their parents devices. Se what happens then.
And yet so few people want to go into teaching and something like 50% of new teachers leave teaching in the first few years. If it was such a breeze you would think everyone would be clambering to become one.

Like any job then. The old have screwed the young. Most graduates simply can't get a job.

Kids are s**t.

Couldnt imagine trying to discipline one... "I know my rights"... then you're sacked for some s**t reason

Weird thing. If you speak to a teacher the kids are about 8th in the list of complaints.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kids are s**t.

Adults are just as bad if not worse, I think you sound like an angry old campaigner.

I don't know about actual health inside and how she feels, but I think Mel B actually looks healthier and more attractive in her 'before' photo on the Jenny Craig ad than she does currently.
Same with when Jonah Hill was fat/skinny. He also stopped being funny. Not that he was.

Same with when Jonah Hill was fat/skinny. He also stopped being funny. Not that he was.

c36e2373bb35f5f2963a101fb6d7990c--child-actors-young-actors.jpg

Melbourne’s water is perfectly fine, stop being such a pussy.

The Invictus Games are just an indulgence of a rich w***er looking to somehow justify his highly subsidised existence.
Thats Prince Rich w***er to the likes of you and I

I think it is something close to the heart of both brothers. I support the idea of the Invictus Games. If he spent his time opening Officers Messes etc then sure but this is something marginalised and ignored by most. People turn their eyes. This puts in our tv

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back