Social Science Unpopular Opinions you have (non-football) Part II

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Scotland

Hall of Famer
AFL Club
West Coast
Every date is a 'white' date. We imposed the Gregorian calendar.

The Nyoongars (SW WA) have 6 seasons that overlap our 4, but they vary from year to year whereas we just arbitrarily define ours in 3 month blocks.

raskolnikov

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Lions
My preference is for Australia Day to remain on January 26, although if it were to move, I'm a fan of May 27, which was the date of the 1967 referendum, where Aboriginal Australians were officially recognised as part of the population.
Let's celebrate the day white Australia recognised Indigenous people as humans and not vermin.

A bit tacky and condescending IMO.

SparkleNarkle

Corporal-Captain
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
DJRTP, REN, MIA, OKC
Let's celebrate the day white Australia recognised Indigenous people as humans and not vermin.

A bit tacky and condescending IMO.
Well that's the problem with changing the date. There's three options:
  1. The day the British claimed Indigenous land
  2. The day their ancestors recognised the Indigenous people
  3. The birthday or anniversary of an Aboriginal leader that has no connection or real meaning to a huge chunk of Australians
It's probably best to keep it as it is. Does anyone even celebrate Australia Day anyway?

edgie

Hall of Famer
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
[*]The birthday or anniversary of an Aboriginal leader that has no connection or real meaning to a huge chunk of Australians
[/LIST]
It's probably best to keep it as it is. Does anyone even celebrate Australia Day anyway?
In my experience that is no guarantee to unite aboriginal people either. White people and government need to stop thinking that all aboriginal people move as one. I still see enough cultural and tribal fighting between different peoples.

Sent from mTalk

Larry Barnsworth

Playing my Natural Game
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I've long been a proponent of the "mini week"

Work 10 hours (or thereabouts) on each of Monday and Tuesday
Have Wednesday off
Work 10 hours on each of Thursday and Friday
Have Saturday and Sunday off

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cuzz09

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Norwood & Liverpool.
We tried a rolling 10 hour day x 4 day a week roster at work earlier in 2018.

2 people had Monday off then 2 people had tuesday off etc and the following week it moved to the next week.

Still get weekends.

Every 5 weeks you'd get a 4 day weekend.

The type of work we do didnt suit it and we were forever doing 13+ hr days and by our day off we were stuffed.

Too many people complained and they scrapped it.

I liked the idea in theory.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Shell

Premium Platinum
AFL Club
Geelong
Idk if it could work with kids/schools. The longer day, they'd get tired and shitty af.

But yeah would love a 4 day of course, who wouldnt. I'd take the cut in pay and do it, but itd be too much, couldnt afford to.

Gigantic

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Rabbitohs, Liverpool, Phoenix Suns
We tried a rolling 10 hour day x 4 day a week roster at work earlier in 2018.

2 people had Monday off then 2 people had tuesday off etc and the following week it moved to the next week.

Still get weekends.

Every 5 weeks you'd get a 4 day weekend.

The type of work we do didnt suit it and we were forever doing 13+ hr days and by our day off we were stuffed.

Too many people complained and they scrapped it.

I liked the idea in theory.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app
Yeah, great in principle but being away from work for 3 days over the weekend just isn't great if you're doing work in an office where there are client needs and/or the work just stacks up

edgie

Hall of Famer
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
The flip side is maybe looking at more business moving to seven days operation, and more flexible workforces.

Working in a seven day industry is good I reckon. I couldn't bare the cliche Monday to Friday grind. The slow and steady leave accumulation and the having it dictated when you take it (the holiday season).

More than happy to work a weekend if it means I have two week days off to get some things done that require those people and industries doing that Monday to Friday thing.

Sent from mTalk

the_interloper

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Richmond
The flip side is maybe looking at more business moving to seven days operation, and more flexible workforces.

Working in a seven day industry is good I reckon. I couldn't bare the cliche Monday to Friday grind. The slow and steady leave accumulation and the having it dictated when you take it (the holiday season).

More than happy to work a weekend if it means I have two week days off to get some things done that require those people and industries doing that Monday to Friday thing.

Sent from mTalk
I work fairly flexibly, have requirements to deal with other time zones so I'm often working early or late. Id prefer it to be honest, the flexibility is great, as long as I have my laptop and phone i can work basically.

PoppedCorn

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
West Ham 76ers
Few of us asked to do ten hr days for 4 days and have fri Sat sun off
They said what happens if we need u Friday?
Well we would ome in on over time
Oh we can't do that was the reply

It's the same as doing 5 days and coming in Sat u idiots
Sometimes u wonder how those that make important decisions get to be in their positions

Larry Barnsworth

Playing my Natural Game
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I had a job where we worked 12 hour days, 4 on 4 off for a while. I liked it - the nature of the work suited it - but the missus hated it. Never saw me when I was "On" and the first day off I was pretty cactus so I wouldn't be up for much.

A lot of jobs I work these days output is more important than attendance. They don't over care where the work happens, so long as I meet my commitments. I don't like working from home a lot though. Makes "home" feel like "work". Messes with my mental context.

Shell

Premium Platinum
AFL Club
Geelong
Yeah as much as i hate the 30 min commute there and back (against traffic too) id hate to work from home. Maybe like one day a week would be ok.

Of course in my job working from home doesnt work even days when the students are absent

MWPP

Magical Eagle
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Scorchers, Black Caps
My preference is for Australia Day to remain on January 26, although if it were to move, I'm a fan of May 27, which was the date of the 1967 referendum, where Aboriginal Australians were officially recognised as part of the population.

Other dates for Australia Day could include August 10 (the day the result of the 1967 referendum became law) or June 3 (the day that terra nullius was overturned)
I have wanted to see Australia Day moved for years, but I liked your post because I agree with the rest of it in that those are some my preferred move dates (along with January 25, National Sorry Day on May 26, and New Years Day aka Commonwealth Day) .

Top Bottom