(Log in to remove this ad.)

JackOutback

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
West Coast
Move the day i honestly dont care.

Totally against changing the flag and the anthem

God have you heard that Judith Durham version i think ******* awful
Could change 'em all, for all I care. The flag is just the Union Jack with some stars on it, no ****s given if they change it to something better, the national anthem is pretty bog average (mind you, there's not many good ones around the world).

SparkleNarkle

Corporal-Captain
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
DJRTP, REN, MIA, OKC
Totally against changing the flag and the anthem
I’m not totally against changing the flag or the anthem, but preferably I’d like them to stay.

The flag represents all the states of Australia, our location and our British connection, while the anthem brings us together - “Australians All”, not “Some of Australia”

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

MWPP

Magical Eagle
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Scorchers, Black Caps
Few of us asked to do ten hr days for 4 days and have fri Sat sun off
They said what happens if we need u Friday?
Well we would ome in on over time
Oh we can't do that was the reply

It's the same as doing 5 days and coming in Sat u idiots
Sometimes u wonder how those that make important decisions get to be in their positions
I have worked a number of rosters over the last few years, but honestly, I'd jump at the prospect of being able to do Monday-Thursday 8-6 and getting Friday/Saturday/Sunday off again. It's not quite the same as doing Monday-Friday and then coming in on Saturday because working 6 days a week is so much more tiring than 5. I'm used to longer shifts so the extra 2 hours in the working day don't bother me. I value days off more than evenings off- but I know other people think differently.

Shell

Premium Platinum
AFL Club
Geelong
I’m not totally against changing the flag or the anthem, but preferably I’d like them to stay.

The flag represents all the states of Australia, our location and our British connection, while the anthem brings us together - “Australians All”, not “Some of Australia”

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Fwiw i dont see a british flag. Thats the union jack covering the whole flag alone. I like ours

Hawk Dork

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawks
Im not disputing its not there. All im saying is ... what i said in the previous post.

And never worn it as a cape
Im all for people wearing it as a cape and chanting oi oi oi, Im happy to give them the 26th of Jan to do it.

But in time that flag will be in a museum and it will be recognised as our old flag,100% guaranteed ,just add time

MWPP

Magical Eagle
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Scorchers, Black Caps
I’m a bit of an Anglophile , but I still don’t mind either way when it comes to our Flag and Anthem . They could be better so I’m open to changing them, but that’s also true of many other Flags /Anthems . One thing I like about our Flag is how similar it is to New Zealand’s :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Shell

Premium Platinum
AFL Club
Geelong
I’m a bit of an Anglophile , but I still don’t mind either way when it comes to our Flag and Anthem . They could be better so I’m open to changing them, but that’s also true of many other Flags /Anthems . One thing I like about our Flag is how similar it is to New Zealand’s :)
Similar but better.

As is anything else Aussie v NZ :)

Xtreme

Hall of Famer
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I think the anthem is a bit bleh on its own, but throw a few olympic medalists standing up singing it as it plays during a medal ceremony, I think thats bloody unreal!

Last edited:

JackOutback

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
West Coast
If it is before every game like in America then I agree. What we have now is fine.
I can wear the grand final, just, but the finals is ridiculous. Australians playing Australians in front of other Australians and we bust out the national anthem? What’s its purpose exactly?

edgie

Hall of Famer
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
I can wear the grand final, just, but the finals is ridiculous. Australians playing Australians in front of other Australians and we bust out the national anthem? What’s its purpose exactly?
Celebrating the sport unique to this great nation?

Sent from mTalk

Larry Barnsworth

Playing my Natural Game
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Similar but better.

As is anything else Aussie v NZ :)
Wish our anthem was more like the Kiwis. Reckon theirs is one of the good ones around the world.

I have a hypothesis that the 'best' anthems are borne out of conflict rather than consensus. But I suspect this would probably be exposed as BS if analysed in any way.

Gough

AFL Club
Hawthorn
Thread starter Moderator #3,272
Wish our anthem was more like the Kiwis. Reckon theirs is one of the good ones around the world.

I have a hypothesis that the 'best' anthems are borne out of conflict rather than consensus. But I suspect this would probably be exposed as BS if analysed in any way.
I have a theory that it has more to do with us not really being a nation of singers, God Save the Queen is a bit of a dirge too but the Poms love a sing song and hearing it sung by 80000 at Twickers is amazing. AAF might sound better if it wasn't mumbled half halfheartedly our crowds.

Shell

Premium Platinum
AFL Club
Geelong

I wouldn't be able to even hum the NZ national anthem tbh

iluvparis

Premium Platinum
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Calgary Flames, Man Utd
I have a theory that it has more to do with us not really being a nation of singers, God Save the Queen is a bit of a dirge too but the Poms love a sing song and hearing it sung by 80000 at Twickers is amazing. AAF might sound better if it wasn't mumbled half halfheartedly our crowds.
It's because we weren't born out of a civil war or revolution etc. All the great ones come from that (France, US etc). I had a Canadian mate and we'd always joke that the thing that bonds Australian's and Canadians together is that our national anthems suck!! (so does the NZ one for that matter).

He always said that the US national anthem just made you want to get out there and kill some iraqis :D

Our flag and anthem are bog average so happy to switch them up.

Also blatantly obvious that Australia Day should be moved to our true national holiday - Cup Day!

Top Bottom