Social Science Unpopular Opinions you have (non-football) Part II

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Run n Spread

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Collingwood
Beneath our radiant southern cross.. we'll toil with hearts and hands.. to make this commonwealth of ours.. something something..
renowed for all the lands. For those who've come across the sea we've boundless planes to share In history's page let every stage Advance Australia Fair?????

Run n Spread

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Collingwood
Not really - there's is a complete wet blanket for mine.

Basically if you weren't a major combatant in WW2 your anthem sucks.
Nah there's is crap as well. Most AFL teams theme songs offer more emotion than those 2.

Best national anthem is the French. US isn't bad but drones on a bit.

Run n Spread

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Collingwood
renowed for all the lands. For those who've come across the sea we've boundless planes to share In history's page let every stage Advance Australia Fair?????
"In history's page, let every stage Advance Australia Fair. ... Beneath our radiant Southern Cross We'll toil with hearts and hands; To make this Commonwealth of ours Renowned of all the lands; For those who've come across the seas We've boundless plains to share; With courage let us all combine To Advance Australia Fair. "

Was close.

Scotland

Hall of Famer
AFL Club
West Coast
“Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, The wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!”

Some things are best not analysed too closely.

Howard Littlejohn

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Yep, I grew up in an era when the only time you heard it was on memorial days and when you were begrudgingly had to sing it at school.

Now my son's school sings the second ******* verse.
Every bloody high school assembly, two verses. At least until I changed schools. Turgid piece of shit mumbled by the most braindead ****s ever put on this planet at the behest of a redneck campaigner of a principal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

MWPP

Magical Eagle
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Scorchers, Black Caps
I love New Zealand’s national Anthem but I’m biased :)
As noted above - France has one of the best ones in the world.
I really like Russia’s too but I rarely hear it - thoughts raskolnikov

MWPP

Magical Eagle
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Scorchers, Black Caps
I remember singing God Save the Queen in primary school
Me too . We sang it alongside the *real* New Zealand national anthem at every assembly . Ok I’m a bit of an anglophile and royalist , but it’s funny that in this day and age, God Save Our Queen is still considered one of the 2 official national anthems of New Zealand :eek:

WCErevival

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Reading FC
Queensland should be seperated from Australia into it's own country. Pauline Hanson, Bob Katter and Clive Palmer, all the bogans that keep coming up in the news doing stupid shit, rugby neanderthals, natural disasters being a drain on tax payers, cane toads, Warick Capper etc just put a fence around it, cut it off and be done with it.

AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man Utd Green Bay Melb Storm
What did they die for?

It is a question I find myself pondering more frequently as I get older.
If we are to believe General Smedley Butler; Then it's to make even more Military industrial complex millionaires at humanities expense....And that's on top of the multi-nat bankers who finance all the wars in order to manipulate reality for starters.

Get the picture?

Run n Spread

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Collingwood
Me too . We sang it alongside the *real* New Zealand national anthem at every assembly . Ok I’m a bit of an anglophile and royalist , but it’s funny that in this day and age, God Save Our Queen is still considered one of the 2 official national anthems of New Zealand :eek:
How did you end up in Perth if a NZer? Could of ended up literally anywhere else closer?

Back to thread: I reckon National Anthems are a waste of time. Mostly just designed by committee anyway and the real ones always seem to be an unofficial song.

e.g. Australia's should be Waltzing Matilda, NZs' that Na Na Na song and UK's Jerusalem.

Top Bottom