Social Science Unpopular Opinions you have (non-football) Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really don't see the point in women in (most) professional sport, the product will just never be as good, why don't women just make their peace with the fact that they can't make decent money playing sport (unless they're a top flight tennis player or something) just like I'll never make money by selling smoothies on instagram.

I think there is a market for mass produced professional female beach volleyball circuit. Can't believe broadcasters haven't tried to create something like this, would be better product than Woman's Arena football if anyone has seen that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A great many fat dudes on couches will think they could do that. It's an ongoing joke in the NFL that guys at home think they can run the 40-yard dash faster than some NFL players.
Yes but those big overweight NFL guys are stopping equally big guys getting through them, I doubt the couch potatoes could do that.

That's the thing, I could do that.

Really? To be fair i didnt really play cricket but i couldn't.

Still it gives some perspective, its always baffled me that they dont show the speeds of cyclist in the Tour De France, sport on TV just doesnt convey speed very well, you have to be there live, anything that gives the viewer better perspective of what the athletes are actually doing is a good thing IMO.

Yes but those big overweight NFL guys are stopping equally big guys getting through them, I doubt the couch potatoes could do that.

I don't know put a bucket of KFC behind those blokes on the couch and see how they go :)

Still it gives some perspective, its always baffled me that they dont show the speeds of cyclist in the Tour De France, sport on TV just doesnt convey speed very well, you have to be there live, anything that gives the viewer better perspective of what the athletes are actually doing is a good thing IMO.

The Individual time trial they do- when Rohan Dennis won the ITT in blistering fashion in the TDF last year he averaged 51ks throughout the course. Excellent ride.

I think there is a market for mass produced professional female beach volleyball circuit. Can't believe broadcasters haven't tried to create something like this, would be better product than Woman's Arena football if anyone has seen that.

The only way those sports can gain the casual viewer is by not wearing much when competing

Bill Simmons, an american sports journo and excellent pod caster says they should put a "normal" person in events like the 100m up to the 10000m at the olympics just so the average viewer can gain a perspective of how fast these athletes are.

I could go thru a few woman cricketers at varying speeds and get it all on camera,would that make it more entertaining

Unless you're a 6 pound weakling you could easily do it. It's super easy to get around the 115 mark. They would be quicker than that in the under 16's. Warne Bowled his flipper at 95kph coming off two steps.

Watching a bit of the cricket yesterday, I thought that some of the skills were downright sloppy at best, but when you consider that a lot of the players until recently wouldn't have had access to the same levels of coaching, and facilities as their male counterparts, I would expect that's part of the game that will improve greatly in the years to come.

Unless you're a 6 pound weakling you could easily do it. It's super easy to get around the 115 mark. They would be quicker than that in the under 16's.
john_howard_cricket.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bill Simmons, an american sports journo and excellent pod caster says they should put a "normal" person in events like the 100m up to the 10000m at the olympics just so the average viewer can gain a perspective of how fast these athletes are.

I'd love to see this.

I'm relatively fit but not a good runner so I could maybe run 100m in 13 or 14 seconds. In the general scheme of things being a couple of seconds slower than the WR holder doesn't sound like much but If I raced in the Olympics by the time the 7th placed runner crossed the line I'd probably be at the 30 or 40m mark.

Even in the AFL you see guys like Danger, Rioli, Jetta, Cameron etc. and they put 5-10m on opponents in no time at all and this is going up against other professional athletes. If you entered some fat 40 year old Camry driver in the 100m sprint final they'd probably not even make it to the finish line.

Hamish & Andy's realistic Olympic challenges were interesting. They raced 300m freestyle up against Mack Horton doing 400m, and for the 100m Hamish swum he wore flippers. They ended up winning by a fraction with that much of an advantage. I'm an average swimmer and I reckon if I push myself I can do 1500m in half an hour which is over twice WR pace. The 50m WR is 20.9 seconds. I genuinely don't think I could swim from one end of a 25m pool to the other in the time the pros can swim up and back.

As for things like the Tour de France, that's beyond 99.999% of the population even having a go. 3,500km in 21 days. 180km in a day riding in the Alps. Never mind coming last. Very few people would last longer than half an hour.

I used to run 11 seconds in high school (in a three piece suit). Definitely would have added a few seconds to that now I'm more of an endurance runner. When I break in to a sprint these days I feel slow.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Tapatalk

Watching a bit of the cricket yesterday, I thought that some of the skills were downright sloppy at best, but when you consider that a lot of the players until recently wouldn't have had access to the same levels of coaching, and facilities as their male counterparts, I would expect that's part of the game that will improve greatly in the years to come.

Opening bowler was getting clocked at 107 but they don't run in as fast as men so it doesn't seem that slow on tv.

They interviewed Sunderands 15 year old daughter who has signed with the Renegades so the depth through out the country must be thin and no wonder the likes of Perry and Lanning are averaging 70 a season.

Would genuinely pay to watch average joe's chucked into some of the winter olympic events.

The army should change it's uniform to a nice slimming pin stripe, camouflage makes you look fat.
How can something that can't be seen look fat?

As for things like the Tour de France, that's beyond 99.999% of the population even having a go. 3,500km in 21 days. 180km in a day riding in the Alps. Never mind coming last. Very few people would last longer than half an hour.
Complete tangent, but i'd love to see a version of the Tour de France with no stages. Just give them the course they need to ride and say go. The cyclists chose when to rest, when to eat, when to sleep etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back