Social Science Unpopular Opinions you have (non-football) Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Against nearly every primary schools rules that I know of now (and yes I’ve been looking into it recently and yes I was also somewhat suprised)

My local primary school encourages parents to drop their kids off at a shopping area car park and walk, scooter or bicycle the last kilometer. It mean the kids get some daily exercise, and cuts down on the traffic near the school. There's just one small side road to cross. There's kids as young as preppies on their own but there are plenty of parents tagging along too, so you would think that covers the safety aspect.

Lets be honest, you can give it but can't take it and ban people anytime they call you out. Must have some real masculine insecurities to carry on the way you do.
So for this to be true, you're gonna be banned so hard...

What's with the gate?
Its on public land (not their land) or some equivalent. Council says it has to go, school is saying it is a safety risk to pull it down and you cant go anywhere but the school from the gates location.

I can remember when i was at school you could just walk into schools on weekends (to play basketball or use the cricket nets etc)

It looks like this private school fenced off public land for themselves.

This has happened a couple of times up here. Some mining guy's mother didn't like people walking along the river past her mansion. So the council obliged and gave her the patch of land between her house and the river, blocking off public access.

It was like that when she moved in!

Good on the council:

A Yarra spokesperson said the school erected the gates illegally, and had been blocking community access to public land. She said it was disappointing the school did not comply with its legal requirement to remove the gate, “which was effectively privatising public land”.

“With the removal of the gate, the community is now able to access public land on weekends and on public holidays as is their legal right,” Wade said.

“Many schools across Melbourne have campuses that cross public land and they have come up with solutions to address this that do not involve blocking access to public land.”

It looks like this private school fenced off public land for themselves.

This has happened a couple of times up here. Some mining guy's mother didn't like people walking along the river past her mansion. So the council obliged and gave her the patch of land between her house and the river, blocking off public access.

It was like that when she moved in!

Good on the council:

A Yarra spokesperson said the school erected the gates illegally, and had been blocking community access to public land. She said it was disappointing the school did not comply with its legal requirement to remove the gate, “which was effectively privatising public land”.

“With the removal of the gate, the community is now able to access public land on weekends and on public holidays as is their legal right,” Wade said.

“Many schools across Melbourne have campuses that cross public land and they have come up with solutions to address this that do not involve blocking access to public land.”
Im not team Alphington Grammar to be clear but it seems that rather than just ordering the gates pulled down both parties probably could have reached an amicable solution.

Theres modern standards around school security that require fences, the council would know this, so they would know that whilst this gate might contravene council law pulling it down would contravene state requirements.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Im not team Alphington Grammar to be clear but it seems that rather than just ordering the gates pulled down both parties probably could have reached an amicable solution.

Theres modern standards around school security that require fences, the council would know this, so they would know that whilst this gate might contravene council law pulling it down would contravene state requirements.
I'd say these discussions have been had. The council said that other schools had the same issues and had found solutions that didn't block public access.

I'm very much in the * the school crowd

Private school annexing public land and saying the locals are all drug using Pedo's seems to be going down well though, I like the whole and a local remove the temporary gate in broad daylight with an angle grinder

like yeah you erected an illegal barrier

I'm very much in the duck the school crowd

Private school annexing public land and saying the locals are all drug using Pedo's seems to be going down well though, I like the whole and a local remove the temporary gate in broad daylight with an angle grinder

like yeah you erected an illegal barrier
Id probably assume whoever went to the media (which i think was the school) is probably doing the "think of the children" angle, and to a degree i get it, i wouldnt really feel comfortable with people being able to wander into a school my kid was at.

Having said that, having worked with a number of local councils, they are generally pretty incompetent and arrogant so it wouldnt suprise me if both sides are acting like children.

Id probably assume whoever went to the media (which i think was the school) is probably doing the "think of the children" angle, and to a degree i get it, i wouldnt really feel comfortable with people being able to wander into a school my kid was at.

Having said that, having worked with a number of local councils, they are generally pretty incompetent and arrogant so it wouldnt suprise me if both sides are acting like children.
I was curios what was going on

They were told 8 months ago to stop blocking the footpath apparently

looking at these photos

I'm going to assume that the gate over the end of the road didn't block the footpath originally, it does look like people would be walking across the school oval to get to the trail, apparently they only close the gate at nights and on the weekends, and people were complaining they couldn't access the trail that way outside of school hours, its all a bit weird really

1653532509358.png

apparently they only close the gate at nights and on the weekends, and people were complaining they couldn't access the trail that way outside of school hours
When I read that, it makes me wonder how it could be about safety.

Thought that was pretty clear. Me from inquiries into primary schools for my son and from discussing with friends who have kids in primary schools (in research for my son going to primary school)

I found out today that kids aren’t allowed to take any packaging (food) for lunches, so if you send them with a packet of chips you’re expected to unpack them into something reusable. The school will also check the kids lunches and the parents will get a note if it’s deemed unhealthy.

Kids in kindy and preprimary must be dropped off/picked up at the door but from Year 1 onwards there is no rule about how kids get to or from school. I am a teacher and have not heard of that rule at any school I've been involved with. It sounds like a completely bonkers and unenforceable rule anyway (I grant you schools are not averse to making bonkers and unenforceable rule)

The rule about lunchboxes is also school-specific but I agree its dumb, but it's also something I've only really heard of in early years education.

Anyway my question to gralin was about it being illegal. The law is not a state secret so I don't know why he can't show me where its written that kids can't walk a few blocks to school alone. I could get half the parents at my school locked up i reckon.

When I read that, it makes me wonder how it could be about safety.
everyone is being a bit precious I suspect

if you look at the map going around the school to get to the trail isn't that hard and people walking through school grounds during the day yeah, no thanks

but then the gate was open during the day so....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back