Social Science Unpopular Opinions you have (non-football) Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Women do not use the internet. Outside of social media platforms, they do not use it at all. I grew up in the Y2K internet era. Chatroom era. The rule of thumb on the internet was... Women do not exist on the internet. 100% of the time, it's a man pretending to be a woman. No exceptions. Remember how shocked we all were when those supposed hot & horny babes in your neighborhood turned out to be credit card phishing scams. I learnt my lesson. I once married a girl on runescape. Turned out it was a dude.

It's 2017 and I still believe this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If there was no market for it, they wouldn't publish. We're all complicit I'm afraid.

I tend to agree there - some cases will attract more attention by the public than others.

As a hypothetical, say within a week two unconnected 25-year-olds vanish from Adelaide in bizarre circumstances. The first is a slim, attractive young woman named Jane Citizen, who along with three colleagues had checked in at the airport to catch a flight to Darwin for a 5 day work conference. As the quartet have coffee at one of the cafes, Jane says she needs to go to the toilet and leaves the table, leaving her carry on baggage and half drunk coffee with her work colleagues. Nobody is concerned when 5 minutes go by, but when it gets to 10 her colleagues wonder what is taking her so long, but say nothing - perhaps Jane simply has a bit of a stomach upset? However, when this turns to 15 minutes then 20 and no sign of Jane, her colleagues become concerned especially as boarding time is drawing near. The female colleague sets off to check out the ladies' rooms, a male colleague to check the other shops and other areas in the airport departure area in case Jane has become distracted while browsing, or perhaps had a chance meeting with a friend and lost track of time? The third man stays at the table in case Jane comes back. When the baffled work colleagues return with no sign of Jane, and with the flight now called, they arrange for her to be paged. Jane does not appear, and airport police and security are called who review the footage of security cameras. They see Jane turning the corner to enter the female toilets, but she does not return, nor does she appear on any other security footage either within or outside of the airport from this point. Her personal life shows that she is in a happy relationship with her live-in partner, has a good relationship with her parents and siblings, plenty of friends and a successful career, no financial problems, no past mental health issues, nothing to show that she might have planned her disappearance such as financial anomalies, and why would she do it from an airport when about to catch a flight? If she was abducted, how did this happen at an airport with cameras everywhere? Not a single clue can be found to explain Jane's disappearance, and she is never seen nor heard from again.

In Case 2, a 160-kilogram young man named John Smith, who is unattractive in looks, has bad skin and works a boring, dead end job sets off to a local fast food restaurant across the road from his office to purchase his favorite lunch of fried chicken, large fries and giant soda. He leaves the work he is currently doing on his desk to complete after lunch as he often does, and colleagues see him leave the office and walk to the fast foot outlet. However, he does not return and when colleagues look for him, the staff in the restaurant say he never ate there that day. Security footage confirms this. Police become involved when he still does not return and is reported missing. They find that John does not have the most successful life - he is single, still lives with his parents and spends most of his time outside of work in his bedroom playing online video games and eating junk food. But they also find nothing to suggest John is unhappy with his life, and has planned his disappearance or met with foul play. All theories during the investigation amount to nothing, and John is never seen nor heard from again.

So we have two 25-year-olds vanishing from Adelaide within a few days of each other in eerie and unsettling circumstances. Which case is going to capture the public's attention more; the pretty, slim, intelligent and successful Jane or the unattractive, obese, unsuccessful John? Who is going to be the focus of many news reports, current affairs shows, on the front cover of many newspapers and magazines and discussed by many people in person and online? Jane, without doubt. And it is simply human nature to feel that way.

However, some real life cases are so odd I think that they would have attracted attention no matter who was involved. One such case is that of the Springfield Three, a trio of women who vanished without trace from a house in Springfield Missouri on 7 June 1992. The women were 47-year-old Sheryl Levitt, her 18-year-old daughter Suzie Streeter and Stacy McCall, also 18 and a friend of Suzie who was staying the night. The case attracted a massive amount of attention at the time, and is still well known today even though nearly 25 years have gone by. All three women were very attractive Caucasian women, but the case is so bizarre with contradictory evidence that rules out every possible theory that even if it had been a father, son and son's best friend that vanished the case would still have attracted significant attention, and baffled everyone who tried to solve it.

O.K....I'll have a crack.

The false assumption underlying your dialectical premise is that we were all either Bullies or were bullied at school.

So one is either a perpetrator or a victim.

There is, very much, a large section of excluded middle here.

Further....Are all people who believe in Karma 'Losers'?....Is a millionaire a 'loser'?

Bullies are only stronger by definition, as they use brawn to overpower & intimidate.....Hence the word.

People with 'high self-esteem' don't need to bully others to feel better about themselves.

You don't know the researchers history, so your false equivalency has no standing nor basis.

Post utterly debunked....Feeling knocked-out.;)
Wow
You're a real live genius
This thread is for unpopular opinions so I post outrageous opinions so the PC majority will bite
Why bother to debunk this stuff ?
Lighten up

Wow
You're a real live genius
This thread is for unpopular opinions so I post outrageous opinions so the PC majority will bite
Why bother to debunk this stuff ?
Lighten up

Eh?o_O....You said to knock yerself out....So I did.....Did you miss the;)at the end then?

It's you that needs to take a chill pill silly.

Most people who complain about "PC society" just don't like being told not to be jerks.

I would disagree and say that most people who complain about a "PC society" are confused as to why there needs to be a public enquiry, or media shitstorm, or witchhunt, or court involvement every time somebody gets offended about something.

Just saw on Reddit a Scottish youtuber was arrested and is facing a year in prison for making this video:

Now I'm not one of those types that think being offended is bad, or a sign of weakness. there are things that offend me too. but I don't think somebody saying something offensive is cause for the public to hunt them down and get them fired from their job, or expelled from their school, or generally harassed by a bunch of strangers. And it's definitely not cause for the authorities to get involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back