Social Science Unpopular Opinions you have (non-football) Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 16, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Fighting Furies
Music far better today than 10-20 years a go.

theres always good and s**t music out there. Like with anything, it will go in cycles where some periods of time will have better music than others. The people who refuse to acknowledge that any newish music can be good are either stuck in their youth or too lazy to find good music.

And I like 2000's, bands like brand new, blink, Coheed etc.

It depends when you were born, how you were brought up and your own personal tastes. Problem is there is more s**t music than good music just as a qualifier, and now with a lot more access to music there is a lot more bad music out there.

70s music the best.

70's music was best in the 70's......80's in the 80's........90's in the 90's........etc.

Not sure it was better but it was freer, so I guess in a roundabout way it may have seemed to be better, or at least a broader acceptance of sound.

That field has somewhat narrowed but that is in keeping with our mindset. There's a reason for this.

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
And I like 2000's, bands like brand new, blink, Coheed etc.

It depends when you were born, how you were brought up and your own personal tastes. Problem is there is more s**t music than good music just as a qualifier, and now with a lot more access to music there is a lot more bad music out there.
There's always been more s**t music than good music. Always. Occasionally there's a period where there's more good music than usual, and yet it is still outweighed by the s**t music.

But there's also always great music.

Nothing beats 60's music.
I was talking to my brother about this on the weekend. If the Beatles were contemporary they would have started in 2010, and would be breaking up now. What an incredible legacy they left for a band that existed for such a short time.

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
Music like food becomes more derivative over time by nature. We've already had rock'n'roll, jazz, punk, rap etc. so these genres can't be invented again. Just like we already have the chicken parma. Sure you can make a good one or add chorizo or whatever to make it a bit different, but no one is going to come along again and suggest taking a schnitzel and putting tomato sauce, ham and cheese on it for the first time.

Can only imagine what it was like in the 50s and 60s when Chuck Berry and Bill Haley and Elvis Presley and The Beatles etc. were making music. Going to the record store used to be an experience in new music, too. Over the years that changed to more of just a retail activity to today when you don't even have to get out of bed to listen to anything you want on your iPhone.

There's good music in every era but there's a difference between seeing a band today and thinking their lead guitarist plays a mean riff and hearing a Fender Strat for the first time. Like most things with baby boomer it annoys me when they talk about 'the 60s being better' as if to say that following musicians in following decades are second rate for being born after acts like the Beatles and Stones.

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
The lack of physical music store experiences is something that has left music culture the lesser. A little bit the same for video rental, but not as much. Movies still a much better casual conversation topic for anywhere, anytime, where I think music is something more niche that was focused around those hubs.

Sent from mTalk

May 2, 2007
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chicago Bears, de Boer, Arsenal
The lack of physical music store experiences is something that has left music culture the lesser. A little bit the same for video rental, but not as much. Movies still a much better casual conversation topic for anywhere, anytime, where I think music is something more niche that was focused around those hubs.

Sent from mTalk
Can't say I miss getting slugged up to $30 for an album much at all.

Definitely lost something with the death of the video store though.

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
Can't say I miss getting slugged up to $30 for an album much at all.

Definitely lost something with the death of the video store though.

Strange how we disagree on that regarding music vs movie stores. Why do you think that?

I had no issues paying $30 for a physical album that was near lossless quality, had cool album art and a booklet, and kept someone who was usually passionate about music, employed.

Sent from mTalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back