Social Science Unpopular Opinions you have (non-football) Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haven't really listened to it for a long, long time but I thought it was very ordinary.

I'm being flippant, I reckon Jack was referring to Razors Edge.

Ballbreaker is the most uneven album, it has some really great songs and is lyrically diverse by AC/DC standards, but there's also a lot of average. Hale Caesar, Burning Alive, The Furor are my personal picks.

Sent from mTalk

Slight tangent but I often wonder where Nirvana would have gone next if they'd been able to keep going. There's a pretty interesting interview on YouTube with Kurt Cobain where he talks about it a bit, saying they were done with the grunge direction etc.

I've been listening to this on repeat for 20 minutes.

Weird that hair metal peaked in the early 90s, mere minutes before it died and fell off a cliff.

Or maybe it fell off the cliff first then died, who knows.

Hair metal? Any genre that needs to split itself to feel special isnt that special

What do you mean split itself, as in being a sub genre? I'd imagine that metal has the most sub genres out of any form of music (as far as I know anyway). Death metal, doom metal, thrash, prog, djent, black metal, grindcore, metal core, mathcore, NY hardcore (sort of metal) combinations of all of those mentioned, the list goes on.

You are more likely to die falling out of bed than you are from a terrorist attack.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The lack of physical music store experiences is something that has left music culture the lesser. A little bit the same for video rental, but not as much. Movies still a much better casual conversation topic for anywhere, anytime, where I think music is something more niche that was focused around those hubs.

Sent from mTalk
Can't say I miss getting slugged up to $30 for an album much at all.

Definitely lost something with the death of the video store though.

The idea of going into Empire Records (open til midnight) is nostalgic, but I don't miss Sanity or HMV. FYI Sanity is still a thing in WA, like Sizzler. Not sure HMV ever made it here. It used to be exciting going to a Kodak shop or chemist with a film developing section and picking up a thing of photos, but now that digital camera and phone camera technology has taken off I don't want to go back to that either.

I still buy the odd physical album (used to put the songs into iTunes then keep the disc in the car) but it's been ages since I browsed a rack of CDs and stumbled across something I hadn't already heard/read about on the internets. Digital music storage is better. People still listen to music at home through speakers or via headphones at work or on the train, they just do it from something the size of a pad of post it notes with 9 gazillion songs on it. Even with every song ever recorded at your fingertips people still go to gigs, though.

I haven't been in a Record/CD store for ages but there was a time where I could barely go past one without going in to browse for bargains.

Now there just isn't the same need to do that with all the music you want available online, you can bring up just about any song on youtube in an instant.

I used to walk up to Gaslight on Bourke St every payday when I first started working in Melb CBD. Can remember buying an album or two of artists I'd never heard of, just because they were playing it in the store while I was rifling through searching for goodies. In a Gen-Xish, defeatist, nostalgic throwback kind of way, there's nothing like that anymore (or so I assume). So I just don't bother and stick with those hidden gems I picked up 20+ years ago.

That with the exception of a highly skilled or professional job, if you continue to work after winning a big enough lottery to quit that it's a selfish thing to do because you're denying someone else a chance who's more in need of that job than you are.

See where you're coming from, but why? People still need day to day purpose. If anything the professionals and highly skilled should be quitting. They probably earn a fair quid already and they're not allowing other workers to progress up the ranks. If a millionaire wants to keep working part time at a servo more power to them.

Sent from mTalk

See where you're coming from, but why? People still need day to day purpose. If anything the professionals and highly skilled should be quitting. They probably earn a fair quid already and they're not allowing other workers to progress up the ranks. If a millionaire wants to keep working part time at a servo more power to them.

Sent from mTalk

People still need day to day purpose, yes. Well, they can volunteer, or start a business, neither of which deprive someone else an opportunity. Interesting point about highly skilled work, however that individual might be very good at their job and given that it's professional/skilled has more importance to the advancement of humanity. Elon Musk could quit doing anything if he wanted to, but I'm glad he hasn't, although not everyone in his line of work is like him. If the millionaire wants to keep working part-time at the servo then fine, but if they did it for free it's even better for the employer because they'll have more money and therefore be more likely to employ another person.

If I had a shitload of money I'd try to get the most super of the super nerds to put all their nerd power into advancing the technology of augmented reality helmets to the point where skills and knowledge can be downloaded into the brain like in the Matrix. That way we can upgrade everyone and compete with robots in the distant future workforce as you could charge companies a hefty robot tax for every robot they hire over an augmented human. Is that a *in' purple dragon in my room?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back