Social Science Unpopular Opinions you have (non-football) Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 'invasion day' thing is such a s**t argument.

No 'invasion', no nation to celebrate. There's a whole group of nuffies who seem to think we can celebrate a nation settled by Europeans and pretend that Europeans never settled in the first place because that's yucky colonialism.

I mean what do people think happened on January 27 1788? January 28? February? March? 1789? 1790? 1890? If January 26 1788 marks the beginning of ongoing atrocities against the first peoples then what exactly are we celebrating with a national day in the first place?

You need a date that's inclusive. Could have it the date of the apology, Keating's redfern speech, tent embassy protests etc if that's your argument.

Anyway take your point there is probably no need for a day. Just have it as a Public Holiday and don't waste time on the officaldom.

Also European settlement was 200+ years a go. We are no longer British and the day and indeed flag should reflect that.

My preference is for Australia Day to remain on January 26, although if it were to move, I'm a fan of May 27, which was the date of the 1967 referendum, where Aboriginal Australians were officially recognised as part of the population.

Other dates for Australia Day could include August 10 (the day the result of the 1967 referendum became law) or June 3 (the day that terra nullius was overturned)

I disagree. Always been a s**t date for a national celebration. And were protests going back decades. Why does the whole nation celebrate what is effectively nsw day/invasion day?
Shame we became the commonwealth on 1 jan. if that had been another date then commonwealth day would have been celebrated for 118 years now

Jeeze fella I'm just making a joke to myself about s**t music and the uninteresting people that follow it.

So if you don't give a s**t, you're not fussed if it remains on January 26th?

Sent from mTalk
I don’t have any skin in the game, so don’t get offended by the day. But I do have empathy and know that it will never be an appropriate day of celebration for an important part of our community. I’ve suggested previously Jan 25, the last day of Aboriginal ‘sovereignty’ before modern Australia was born.

I don't know of we will ever have a date that everybody (that matters) is comfortable with.

Sent from mTalk

I agree with this.

My preference is for Australia Day to remain on January 26, although if it were to move, I'm a fan of May 27, which was the date of the 1967 referendum, where Aboriginal Australians were officially recognised as part of the population.

Let's celebrate the day white Australia recognised Indigenous people as humans and not vermin.

A bit tacky and condescending IMO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When we become a republic that can become Australia day and we can save the 26th and call it oi oi union jack flag cape day

Let's celebrate the day white Australia recognised Indigenous people as humans and not vermin.

A bit tacky and condescending IMO.

Well that's the problem with changing the date. There's three options:
  1. The day the British claimed Indigenous land
  2. The day their ancestors recognised the Indigenous people
  3. The birthday or anniversary of an Aboriginal leader that has no connection or real meaning to a huge chunk of Australians
It's probably best to keep it as it is. Does anyone even celebrate Australia Day anyway?

[*]The birthday or anniversary of an Aboriginal leader that has no connection or real meaning to a huge chunk of Australians
[/LIST]
It's probably best to keep it as it is. Does anyone even celebrate Australia Day anyway?

In my experience that is no guarantee to unite aboriginal people either. White people and government need to stop thinking that all aboriginal people move as one. I still see enough cultural and tribal fighting between different peoples.

Sent from mTalk

I've long been a proponent of the "mini week"

Work 10 hours (or thereabouts) on each of Monday and Tuesday
Have Wednesday off
Work 10 hours on each of Thursday and Friday
Have Saturday and Sunday off

We tried a rolling 10 hour day x 4 day a week roster at work earlier in 2018.

2 people had Monday off then 2 people had tuesday off etc and the following week it moved to the next week.

Still get weekends.

Every 5 weeks you'd get a 4 day weekend.

The type of work we do didnt suit it and we were forever doing 13+ hr days and by our day off we were stuffed.

Too many people complained and they scrapped it.

I liked the idea in theory.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

We tried a rolling 10 hour day x 4 day a week roster at work earlier in 2018.

2 people had Monday off then 2 people had tuesday off etc and the following week it moved to the next week.

Still get weekends.

Every 5 weeks you'd get a 4 day weekend.

The type of work we do didnt suit it and we were forever doing 13+ hr days and by our day off we were stuffed.

Too many people complained and they scrapped it.

I liked the idea in theory.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app
Yeah, great in principle but being away from work for 3 days over the weekend just isn't great if you're doing work in an office where there are client needs and/or the work just stacks up

The flip side is maybe looking at more business moving to seven days operation, and more flexible workforces.

Working in a seven day industry is good I reckon. I couldn't bare the cliche Monday to Friday grind. The slow and steady leave accumulation and the having it dictated when you take it (the holiday season).

More than happy to work a weekend if it means I have two week days off to get some things done that require those people and industries doing that Monday to Friday thing.

Sent from mTalk

The flip side is maybe looking at more business moving to seven days operation, and more flexible workforces.

Working in a seven day industry is good I reckon. I couldn't bare the cliche Monday to Friday grind. The slow and steady leave accumulation and the having it dictated when you take it (the holiday season).

More than happy to work a weekend if it means I have two week days off to get some things done that require those people and industries doing that Monday to Friday thing.

Sent from mTalk

I work fairly flexibly, have requirements to deal with other time zones so I'm often working early or late. Id prefer it to be honest, the flexibility is great, as long as I have my laptop and phone i can work basically.

Few of us asked to do ten hr days for 4 days and have fri Sat sun off
They said what happens if we need u Friday?
Well we would ome in on over time
Oh we can't do that was the reply

It's the same as doing 5 days and coming in Sat u idiots
Sometimes u wonder how those that make important decisions get to be in their positions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back