Status
Not open for further replies.

PT Bar None

Banal Chaos
Cake Connoisseur
Mar 11, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I have memories of singing AAF at primary school too. Including 2nd verse. What's weird though is this link says it was 1984 when AAF became the official national anthem. http://www.naa.gov.au/collection/fact-sheets/fs251.aspx
And I was in high school by 1984

Have no memory of singing God Save the Queen at school though. So I dunno. Memory can screw with you. Maybe schools started signing it before the final ruling? Maybe I'm imagining the memory. Wouldn't be the first time. Maybe it's merging memories? Dunno. I'm gonna stop talking now

raskolnikov

Cancelled
10k Posts 30k Posts Wordler Werewolf Player Essendon Player Sponsor 2021 - Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti and Archie Perkins Essendon Player Sponsor 2020 Essendon Player Sponsor 2019 Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns
New Zealand's is so much better than ours. When they play them side by side at the Anzac Day match the difference is striking.

I have memories of singing AAF at primary school too. Including 2nd verse. What's weird though is this link says it was 1984 when AAF became the official national anthem. http://www.naa.gov.au/collection/fact-sheets/fs251.aspx
And I was in high school by 1984

Have no memory of singing God Save the Queen at school though. So I dunno. Memory can screw with you. Maybe schools started signing it before the final ruling? Maybe I'm imagining the memory. Wouldn't be the first time. Maybe it's merging memories? Dunno. I'm gonna stop talking now
I remember singing God Save the Queen in primary school

New Zealand's is so much better than ours. When they play them side by side at the Anzac Day match the difference is striking.

Not really - there's is a complete wet blanket for mine.

Basically if you weren't a major combatant in WW2 your anthem sucks.

Apr 2, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
renowed for all the lands. For those who've come across the sea we've boundless planes to share In history's page let every stage Advance Australia Fair?????

"In history's page, let every stage Advance Australia Fair. ... Beneath our radiant Southern Cross We'll toil with hearts and hands; To make this Commonwealth of ours Renowned of all the lands; For those who've come across the seas We've boundless plains to share; With courage let us all combine To Advance Australia Fair. "

Was close.

May 30, 2006
Canberra
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Yep, I grew up in an era when the only time you heard it was on memorial days and when you were begrudgingly had to sing it at school.

Now my son's school sings the second ******* verse.
Every bloody high school assembly, two verses. At least until I changed schools. Turgid piece of s**t mumbled by the most braindead *s ever put on this planet at the behest of a redneck campaigner of a principal.

raskolnikov

Cancelled
10k Posts 30k Posts Wordler Werewolf Player Essendon Player Sponsor 2021 - Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti and Archie Perkins Essendon Player Sponsor 2020 Essendon Player Sponsor 2019 Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns

raskolnikov

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns
I remember singing God Save the Queen in primary school
Me too . We sang it alongside the *real* New Zealand national anthem at every assembly . Ok I’m a bit of an anglophile and royalist , but it’s funny that in this day and age, God Save Our Queen is still considered one of the 2 official national anthems of New Zealand :eek:

Sep 28, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Reading FC
Queensland should be seperated from Australia into it's own country. Pauline Hanson, Bob Katter and Clive Palmer, all the bogans that keep coming up in the news doing stupid s**t, rugby neanderthals, natural disasters being a drain on tax payers, cane toads, Warick Capper etc just put a fence around it, cut it off and be done with it.

Ok Boomer

Cancelled
A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life
Jul 27, 2015
South West
AFL Club
West Coast
The concept of a national anthem is a load of crap.

You don't have to sing a song or wave a bit of cloth to be proud of your country. Soldiers didn't die for a bit of cloth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back