Social Science Unpopular Opinions you have (non-football) Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The anthem is great in September because you know the anthem then the roar of the crowd then the siren means finals footy.

Would s**t me to tears if they played before every single game. Same as ANZAC "round". I don't need to hear The Last Post and the Ode of Remembrance 9 times over 4 days. If you have a game on 25th April, sure do a thing. Otherwise let it go and stick to bitching about Collingwood and Essendon.

Roll ups are awesome. Do you think that at a certain age people should just stop enjoying food?
It's the weird virtue-signalling of crusty old dorks. They have RULES that MUST be conformed to or you're not a real man. Like them.

I like our anthem and compared to the others you hear at the soccer world cup I think it's one of the better ones.

I like that Australians view patriotism with the cynicism it deserves. Show me a self proclaimed patriot and I'll show you someone trying to hide something.

You think? Aussies tend to be some of the loudest fans at international sporting events. Often draped in the flag or with some kind of Southern Cross tattoo.

Personal opinion but support of a national sporting team is less about patriotism or nationalism and more about sport and competition.

I would absolutely throw on some green and gold and go support the boomers or whatever but I’m not putting a flag up in my front yard or getting a southern cross tattoo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Personal opinion but support of a national sporting team is less about patriotism or nationalism and more about sport and competition.

I would absolutely throw on some green and gold and go support the boomers or whatever but I’m not putting a flag up in my front yard or getting a southern cross tattoo.
Yeah, fair point. Always some idiots that take it too far but most are just supporting their home country.

We've got "Freedom Rally" idiots over here that have hijacked the flag.

Yeah, fair point. Always some idiots that take it too far but most are just supporting their home country.

Those who fly the flag loudest and proudest tend to represent the worst a country has to offer in my experience.

Yeh, I’d happily go watch any national team and cheer loudly for them but * going to a rally.

I did go watch Lebanon v Aus in the rugby league World Cup a few years back. Lebanese fans went full soccer riot and somehow smuggled in a little barby and steel drums. They started cooking up these kofta things, safe to say I was 10000000% a Lebanon supporter that night.

The anthem is great in September because you know the anthem then the roar of the crowd then the siren means finals footy.

Would s**t me to tears if they played before every single game. Same as ANZAC "round". I don't need to hear The Last Post and the Ode of Remembrance 9 times over 4 days. If you have a game on 25th April, sure do a thing. Otherwise let it go and stick to bitching about Collingwood and Essendon.

Baseball in America do the anthem before every game and 'god bless america' in the middle of the 7th inning......

i would hate it if we did crap like that every game. Save it for big occasions. Less is more

Now I'm wondering what they're cheering at hockey games - their team or the country? Canadian's will clap/cheer almost as loudly for the US anthem. I think they're just happy to be watching hockey. Haha.
It's absurd when you think about it, why do we ride the highs and lows of what's essentially just another for profit business every winter?

It's absurd when you think about it, why do we ride the highs and lows of what's essentially just another for profit business every winter?
The concept of sport is pretty bizarre.

I think we had this discussion about the comm games but sports that evolved from survival stuff (running, wrestling etc) kind of make sense but sports that evolved for purely recreational purposes are truly just odd.

Chuck a ball through a hoop, but make sure you bounce it while you walk. Alternate to that you have to stop when you catch it.

Break down cricket and it makes absolutely no sense.

The concept of sport is pretty bizarre.

I think we had this discussion about the comm games but sports that evolved from survival stuff (running, wrestling etc) kind of make sense but sports that evolved for purely recreational purposes are truly just odd.

Chuck a ball through a hoop, but make sure you bounce it while you walk. Alternate to that you have to stop when you catch it.

Break down cricket and it makes absolutely no sense.

I think about this a lot too. My theory is that humans are kind of designed to battle in some way, and now we don't have to go and hunt for our dinner every day we find other ways to satisfy this urge. And one way is to support people who "go to war" in a sporting sense, we kind of get our fix in a vicarious way.

Of course competing is even moreso this, but even that is not actually over a real conflict or fighting for food (though it becomes that indirectly with the money at stake I guess at the pro level). Even actual professional fighting is not a fight over a beef of course, yeah it is odd though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back