Unpopular opinions

Sep 7, 2015
AFL Club
Tasmania
Wallis is a better mid than forward.

We would have won the flag without Tom Boyd.

Small forwards are massively over rated on here.

Leg speed is massively over rated on here; ball movement is far more important.

Gia is a good line coach.

His versatility mantra and willingness to experiment and take risks are some of Bevo's best qualities as a coach.

Matty Boyd played a much bigger role in our flag than people realise.

C-graders like Lloyd and Cavarra aren't going to fix our scoring issues. Once we start moving the ball better the goals will kick themselves.

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

His versatility mantra and willingness to experiment and take risks are some of Bevo's best qualities as a coach.

C-graders like Lloyd and Cavarra aren't going to fix our scoring issues. Once we start moving the ball better the goals will kick themselves.
  1. Disagree
  2. Piss off
  3. Haven't noticed
  4. Can understand that
  5. Agree
  6. 100% agree
  7. Agree
  8. Agree
To add my own:
Bailey Dale is massively overrated on this forum

Last edited:

Yojimbo

Cancelled
10k Posts
Nov 14, 2012
The "Elephant" in the room.
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Wallis is a better mid than forward:
Answer- Depth player with wonderful abs.

We would have won the flag without Tom Boyd:
Answer- He was there and played well, but keep throwing a ball at a two year old and
he / she will catch it eventually.

Small forwards are massively over rated on here:
Answer- No, we as a club have seen some wonderful small forwards of late. Hardest
position on the ground to play well.

Leg speed is massively over rated on here; ball movement is far more important:
Answer- Football instinct is important, leg speed gets you there quicker, but not if you
don't know where there is. You can't teach instinct, but you can suppress it.

Gia is a good line coach:
Answer- Never done a line so would not know, although that whole George Clooney salt
and pepper thing shits me to tears.

His versatility mantra and willingness to experiment and take risks are some of Bevo's
best qualities as a coach:
Answer- He won a flag so he could take a dump on your dinner plate and you would
forgive him. He has handled some exits like an Ostrich very head in the sand.

Matty Boyd played a much bigger role in our flag than people realise:
Answer- Reliability has no price tag !

C-graders like Lloyd and Cavarra aren't going to fix our scoring issues. Once we start
moving the ball better the goals will kick themselves:
Answer- What came first the chicken or the egg ? must have a structured plan first
and Bevo was a defensive coach. Player rankings suck Lloyd, Cavarra and Hayes and
Duryea help our depth issues.

These answers did not come from the answer, the wise woman told me.

He's a limited player in todays game. He plays a similar game to Libba (have they ever played good football in the same senior team?) but without the sublime foot skills and vision that compensate for for his lack of leg speed and that makes him a liability when he doesn't have ball in hand. He's clearly a competent forward who has a good understanding of where the ball is going. However Im not sure if he can sustain a career in the starvation corner of the forward pocket.

Nope. We wouldn't have gotten past GWS in the preliminary once Roughhead went down. He may well prove to be an injury riddled and expensive flash in the pan but he was an integral part of our 2016 finals campaign. No Boyd. No flag, to say otherwise flies in the face of reality.

Depending on your definition of "small forward" only our ones. I'd happily take a Rioli, Betts or any of the good ones running about kicking goals out of their arses.

Want an actual unpopular opinion? I'd even put up with Toby Greens antics if he played for us.

This is a football truism and not really a revelation nor is it particularly contentious.

Other than what is written here, I've never seen anything that would indicate otherwise. Many of the faults attributed to him should be laid at the feet of Luke Beveridge. The question soon to be answered is whether he is a good senior coach?

When you consider the personal changes and injuries that we have had over his tenure, one has to wonder how much of the versatility mantra is one of necessity, design or just a plain excuse for some of the howlers that he is responsible for implementing.

Of course. When we had Zane Cordy as the senior member and general of our defence at times last year, you understand what a hole the departure a number of senior players left in our team post 2016. You cant buy experience, only work towards it. You're always going to miss a player dedicated and good enough to win AA honours at 34 years of age. He was an underrated gun, who has all of the hallmarks of being a senior coach at some point.

True. False.

Some of my personal favourite points of argument. I have to wonder if you're trolling me.

Anyways...

BrisDog

Premiership Player
Dec 13, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
No way do we win flag without Tom Boyd.

The alternative theory has as much credibility as Scientology.

Next Waiting

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 19, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
[QUOTE="Norm De

Want an actual unpopular opinion? I'd even put up with Toby Greens antics if he played

Anyways...[/QUOTE]
Unpopular/treasonous tomarto/tomehto

Sep 7, 2015
AFL Club
Tasmania
He's a limited player in todays game. He plays a similar game to Libba (have they ever played good football in the same senior team?) but without the sublime foot skills and vision that compensate for for his lack of leg speed and that makes him a liability when he doesn't have ball in hand. He's clearly a competent forward who has a good understanding of where the ball is going. However Im not sure if he can sustain a career in the starvation corner of the forward pocket.

Nope. We wouldn't have gotten past GWS in the preliminary once Roughhead went down. He may well prove to be an injury riddled and expensive flash in the pan but he was an integral part of our 2016 finals campaign. No Boyd. No flag, to say otherwise flies in the face of reality.

Depending on your definition of "small forward" only our ones. I'd happily take a Rioli, Betts or any of the good ones running about kicking goals out of their arses.

Want an actual unpopular opinion? I'd even put up with Toby Greens antics if he played for us.

This is a football truism and not really a revelation nor is it particularly contentious.

Other than what is written here, I've never seen anything that would indicate otherwise. Many of the faults attributed to him should be laid at the feet of Luke Beveridge. The question soon to be answered is whether he is a good senior coach?

When you consider the personal changes and injuries that we have had over his tenure, one has to wonder how much of the versatility mantra is one of necessity, design or just a plain excuse for some of the howlers that he is responsible for implementing.

Of course. When we had Zane Cordy as the senior member and general of our defence at times last year, you understand what a hole the departure a number of senior players left in our team post 2016. You cant buy experience, only work towards it. You're always going to miss a player dedicated and good enough to win AA honours at 34 years of age. He was an underrated gun, who has all of the hallmarks of being a senior coach at some point.

True. False.

Some of my personal favourite points of argument. I have to wonder if you're trolling me.

Anyways...

If we didn’t play Boyd in the prelim then we no doubt would have played Campbell, who would have done a better job as the sole ruck than Boyd did. I rewatched the prelim a couple of nights ago and Boyd was truly atrocious. Dropped three or four sitters in the first half and then got well and truly outplayed by Lobbe and Mumford in the second half.

Nov 29, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Memphis Grizzlies
If we didn’t play Boyd in the prelim then we no doubt would have played Campbell, who would have done a better job as the sole ruck than Boyd did. I rewatched the prelim a couple of nights ago and Boyd was truly atrocious. Dropped three or four sitters in the first half and then got well and truly outplayed by Lobbe and Mumford in the second half.

I don't think Campbell would have been selected as anything but a full time ruck. After the Geelong game Bevo went with Minson and Redpath as the second rucks for a couple of games because Campbell just wasn't working. Without Boyd he probably would've just played Roughead and have Cordy pinch hit.

Triple Baileys

Club Legend
Jan 7, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

You can't say that.

No, two or three good ones and you're on your way to the flag.

Leg speed is what a few of our recent best bets for the future have. Run and carry. Line break. That's what our future is at the moment.

Which line?

We are lucky to have recruited him.

Aye, he did.

See my response to your small forwards question, you s**t stirrer.

Leon

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 13, 2004
Bound for Germany 2006!
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Harry's Heroes

Slightly agreed.

I’d personally play him forward though, excellent set shot.

Nope sorry.

Huge in both the prelim and in the Granny.

I’d actually argue the opposite, at least in some instances.

Dickson for example is massively underrated (and not just by us) we’re going to miss him once he hangs up the boots.

I’d agree with this at the moment.

Our disposal by foot since the 16 flag has significantly dropped off.

Very much agree, he’s a smart guy, very happy to have him in our coaching ranks.

Agreed as well, not just in the finals series, he was outstanding in 16.

Going to sit on the fence here.

Kicking goals has been a huge issue for us since the flag. Not sure about Lloyd and Cavarra but am at least hoping they make an impact.

Agree, excellent stoppage player

Probably, we won by 22 points, he probably wasn't that much better than our next best tall

Like any position, the good ones are valuable, others not so much

Yeah it is

Unconvinced, couldn't put a forward line together post-Stringer

Bevo's best qualities are his player engagement and narrative, his game day strategies are questionable at times

Yep especially after Bob went down, took it upon himself to fill the void

Our forward line is very stagnant, these guys will help

Feb 21, 2002
Hawaii
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Scrag is a leftist progressive who baits the intelllectually inferior on a daily basis

Scrag is actually a fat middle aged ugly woman who posts here between working fantasy sex phone lines - see below starting at 7 min 53 secs

Or watch the whole thing, funny as guts. Scrag could be any of these characters....

footyfan000001

Cancelled
Jun 8, 2006
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
-Suckling is very soft and makes a lot of errors

-Wallis is an under rated inside mid

-Hunter is not a damaging player

-Wood needs to seriously show some form early this season

-I miss Cordy as a forward

Antares

Club Legend
Jun 19, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Brad Lynch is a better option for half-back than Caleb Daniel.

Brad Lynch is underrated in general, and flying under the radar like crazy.

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, SSC Napoli, ESH
-Suckling is very soft and makes a lot of errors

-Wallis is an under rated inside mid

-Hunter is not a damaging player

-Wood needs to seriously show some form early this season

-I miss Cordy as a forward
Aside from the first two, very much agree with the last three

Back