Oct 30, 2003
Kennel
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Wood is no longer best 22.

Backline should be:

Morris Naughton Crozier
Daniel Cordy JJ

As wood cannot play any other lines it is either him or Morris in the gun and Morris is still our best or second best defender behind Naughton. Woods disposal not up to scratch and crozier and Naughton have replaced him as the intercepter. If Moz is injured or retired Wood is back in and plays on the third tall.

Our foot skills are still below par and tough decisions need to be made and we can only carry a handful of players with sub par footskills.

Sep 7, 2015
AFL Club
Tasmania
Wood is no longer best 22.

Backline should be:

Morris Naughton Crozier
Daniel Cordy JJ

As wood cannot play any other lines it is either him or Morris in the gun and Morris is still our best or second best defender behind Naughton. Woods disposal not up to scratch and crozier and Naughton have replaced him as the intercepter. If Moz is injured or retired Wood is back in and plays on the third tall.

Our foot skills are still below par and tough decisions need to be made and we can only carry a handful of players with sub par footskills.

Agree. I would actually like to see Wood tried up forward again. I don’t think we gave him long enough to adjust to the new role last time.

Jeff 1975

Club Legend
Mar 29, 2018
Footscray
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I like ScragCity

I see him at work here

Feeding Time 1.jpg

I’ll bite

Wallis is a better mid than forward.
- Wallis is ok my dad brought a car off Stephen

We would have won the flag without Tom Boyd.
- I love JJ - but really

Small forwards are massively over rated on here.
- Correct far too many smalls, lightning rarely strikes twice

Leg speed is massively over rated on here; ball movement is far more important.
- Just ask Hawthorn taller players, more leg speed, better skills & a stack of premierships

Gia is a good line coach.
- Reading between the lines

His versatility mantra and willingness to experiment and take risks are some of Bevo's best qualities as a coach.
- Hand gifted a good side and has done little since apart from recruit his mates

Matty Boyd played a much bigger role in our flag than people realise.
- Correct Mr Reliable, great mid & defender

C-graders like Lloyd and Cavarra aren't going to fix our scoring issues. Once we start moving the ball better the goals will kick themselves.
- Sentence 1 Correct not sure why we recruited them, to short. Sentence 2, as for the goals kicking themselves, well the Libs might get in too

I’ll add a couple of unpopular opinions

Stringer looks better in a Footscray jumper

No nonsense Roughead would look good at centre half back

Is the word cooked overused?

Why haven’t we recruited taller players?

Why don’t we recruit locals that are playing interstate – you don’t more local than Callan Ward

DogDays

Club Legend
Oct 31, 2012
Ex-Melbourne, now Brisbane
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Just on the JJ point - if it’s just journos or commentators who think he is damaging then why do you think opposition coaches started tagging him? Do you think they over rate him too? Serious question

Hi Scrag, I think that speed is often viewed as being very important but I’d argue that JJ rarely hurts opposition teams enough with his speed... with some exceptions.

Considering you point closer however, it is possible I’m underrating his ability when left unchecked by the opposition. I might have to review and rethink that one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Sep 7, 2015
AFL Club
Tasmania
I like ScragCity

I see him at work here

View attachment 629147

I’ll bite

Wallis is a better mid than forward.
- Wallis is ok my dad brought a car off Stephen

We would have won the flag without Tom Boyd.
- I love JJ - but really

Small forwards are massively over rated on here.
- Correct far too many smalls, lightning rarely strikes twice

Leg speed is massively over rated on here; ball movement is far more important.
- Just ask Hawthorn taller players, more leg speed, better skills & a stack of premierships

Gia is a good line coach.
- Reading between the lines

His versatility mantra and willingness to experiment and take risks are some of Bevo's best qualities as a coach.
- Hand gifted a good side and has done little since apart from recruit his mates

Matty Boyd played a much bigger role in our flag than people realise.
- Correct Mr Reliable, great mid & defender

C-graders like Lloyd and Cavarra aren't going to fix our scoring issues. Once we start moving the ball better the goals will kick themselves.
- Sentence 1 Correct not sure why we recruited them, to short. Sentence 2, as for the goals kicking themselves, well the Libs might get in too

I’ll add a couple of unpopular opinions

Stringer looks better in a Footscray jumper

No nonsense Roughead would look good at centre half back

Is the word cooked overused?

Why haven’t we recruited taller players?

Why don’t we recruit locals that are playing interstate – you don’t more local than Callan Ward

You don’t really think Bevo was gifted a good side do you? They weren’t going too well under the previous coach

Nov 29, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Memphis Grizzlies
I'll add my own: Bont should become a permanent CHF. Dunkley, Libba and Macrae are wasted when they're forced to play forward, they should be our inside mid trio. Bont at CHF could give us 35+ goals and still get 20 touches, but all in the forward half where they'll do the most damage. But none of this Bont at FF, too far removed from the action.

Sep 7, 2015
AFL Club
Tasmania
Zaine Cordy is massively over rated on here. Naughton had a better season than him last year as a first year player. He’s a serviceable player but he will never be elite. He’s not good enough overhead. Goes for the chest mark too often and it’s usually to his detriment.

Last edited:

Yojimbo

Cancelled
10k Posts
Nov 14, 2012
The "Elephant" in the room.
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Zaine Cordy is massively over rated on here. Naughton had a better season than him last year as a first year player. He’s a serviceable player but he will never be elite.
I did a direct battle between Zaine Cordy and Aaron Naughton called the "eighteen game asylum" as they both
recorded eighteen games. On points Naughton won 934 to 912, on serviceable games Naughton won 10 to 4
a serviceable game was deemed at 60 points or above which is fair for defenders. Naughton was the only 99
birthyear player to finish inside the top ten in his clubs B & F despite both Stephenson and Rayner playing
every game or going "Maximus". Naughton took 8 marks in JLT1 5 were contested, he is better than i thought
he was as i did not rate his disposal by hand or foot despite loving his marking and closing speed.

Here is one: The return of Tom Liberatore will impact on Toby McLean and Josh Dunkley !
Another: Mitch Wallis is the new Barry Hall !

VogonProsthetnic

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2010
Beaufort
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Here's one that might upset a few

Gowers will ill never be any good as a forward as he can't kick straight. How will he a get a game when Dickson, Greene and Cavarra can't.

One that a few would suspect as well-

Trengove is the only mature age recruit we have good enough best 22.

Crozier will be the only mature age recruit playing by next year. We have much better young replacements for Trengove, Dureya, Lloyd, Cavarra,mGowers, Hayes etc.

Yojimbo

Cancelled
10k Posts
Nov 14, 2012
The "Elephant" in the room.
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
The 1999 draft should have netted us at least two premierships and perhaps a Hawthorn like run.
I agree Yojimbo, our National Draft was excellent:
Pick 13: Robert Murphy 312 Games
Pick 32: Daniel Giansiracusa 265 Games
Pick 35: Patrick Wiggins 12 Games
Pick 37: Mitch Hahn 181 Games
Pick 43: Lindsay Gilbee 206 Games
Pick 66: Ryan Hargrave 203 Games

Our PSD selection was a bit meh:
Pick 9: Andrew Wills 10 Games

Our Rookie Draft however was puss:
Pick 11: Matthew Lucas 0 Games
Pick 27: Brad Fuller 0 Games
Pick 43: Justin Wood 0 Games
Pick 56: Luke Donaldson 0 Games

Pick 23: Stephen Milne 275 Games
Pick 28: Dean Cox 290 Games
They both went alright as rookies, although we would have most likely delisted Cox and
played Milne in defence.

BRWB

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts The Cult of Robbo
Oct 7, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Two BF trusims that may not be popular.

1 - Whether a footy opinion is unpopular or not is largely time sensitive.

2- A negative assessment of a young Dogs player is usually unpopular while a positive assessment of a young player is extremely popular.

I recall being smashed for not rating or expressing concern about largely ordinary players like Hrovat, Talia and Jong. Conversely have rarely been criticised for rating someone who hasn't kicked on like Webb.

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Two BF trusims that may not be popular.

1 - Whether a footy opinion is unpopular or not is largely time sensitive.

2- A negative assessment of a young Dogs player is usually unpopular while a positive assessment of a young player is extremely popular.

I recall being smashed for not rating or expressing concern about largely ordinary players like Hrovat, Talia and Jong. Conversely have rarely been criticised for rating someone who hasn't kicked on like Webb.
This has become especially true for 3 players in particular I've noticed - Cordy, Dale and Williams. Can't say anything negative about them without being told you're objectively wrong.

Here's one on that theme:
Cal Porter will be delisted without playing a game
Laitham Vandermeer will potentially play a couple of games but won't make it - feels like Austin was going for a Dalrymple-like pick here, but reached way too early

Back