Opinion Unpopular opinions

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree. Climate change may or may not be affected by mans actions that’s up for debate (sources point to ya contributing 😉).
We are kinda past the whole part of it being up for debate. Every scientist that isn't in the pockets of the oil companies agree that its being caused by man.
At least in the sense that a scientific theory is never actually proven, but enough known evidence supports the theory until its proven otherwise

We are kinda past the whole part of it being up for debate. Every scientist that isn't in the pockets of the oil companies agree that its being caused by man.
At least in the sense that a scientific theory is never actually proven, but enough known evidence supports the theory until its proven otherwise

Climate Change denial is up there with Creationism these days... sad that there are “scientists” that will throw their name behind that action too.

Climate Change denial is up there with Creationism these days... sad that there are “scientists” that will throw their name behind that action too.
A lot of scientists getting brown paper bags these days.
I remember watching a doco that featured a creationist physicist. When asked how you can be both a man of science and a religious believer his attempts at explaining it all just circled back to his religious upbringing. It's powerful brainwashing, hard to let go of.

Yes the statue is her but it is a statement and not about her personally.

On SM-J250F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Agreed.

At risk of sounding more pretentious than normal... I'm not sure that most people get that it's NOT a statue to commemorate Tayla or her achievements but has taken an image of her (a pretty iconic one fwiw) to represent something else. This distinction between commemoration and art is lost on many.

Even the title 'more than a kick' seems allegorical asking the viewer to consider the wider treatment of women in sport and society.

On POT-LX1 using BigFooty.com mobile app

You don’t have to convince me ;)

But debating over responsibility is just deflecting from the important work that needs to be done. Like creationism the ones that are denying it are unlikely to change their mind without a catastrophic event in their personal bubble so energy is better focused on building solutions!!

It’s much less fun to sit down and think progressively than stand up and shout progressively though.

There is a time and place for protest, but like staunch vegans, aggressive protest with a black and white mindset takes up too much time and space in the realms of change.

The statue of Tayla Harris annoys me.
My view, it’s a reaction to the outrage against pulling the photo which was a reaction to people saying stupid sh.t on line cause you can see between her legs.
The majority of people said thats fu.ked she’s a football player kicking a ball doing her thing and it’s only di.kheads who say smutty things rather than appreciating the athlete and pushed back against the reaction of pulling the photo.
If we need a sh.t load of backslapping or to build a statue to celebrate what should just be standard behaviour in telling di.kheads to not say di.khead things were making it an out of the ordinairy thing.
And it shouldn’t be, it should just be standard behaviour to tell di.kheads to shutup or to use em as an example of what a di.khead is and how to avoid being one.

You don’t have to convince me ;)

But debating over responsibility is just deflecting from the important work that needs to be done. Like creationism the ones that are denying it are unlikely to change their mind without a catastrophic event in their personal bubble so energy is better focused on building solutions!!

It’s much less fun to sit down and think progressively than stand up and shout progressively though.

There is a time and place for protest, but like staunch vegans, aggressive protest with a black and white mindset takes up too much time and space in the realms of change.
Yes so called aggressive protests are so old School...up there with the French Revolution and it's devastating consequences till things turned around and got back on track again for everybody once more...
You would like to think that new School protests would be mindful of such devastation (hence the Laws in place!) and given our Education we could collectively come up with group solutions to such problems...any problem!
But Feck no it always (due to vested interests reactions!) ends up a Tower of Babble...

My view, it’s a reaction to the outrage against pulling the photo which was a reaction to people saying stupid sh.t on line cause you can see between her legs.
The majority of people said thats fu.ked she’s a football player kicking a ball doing her thing and it’s only di.kheads who say smutty things rather than appreciating the athlete and pushed back against the reaction of pulling the photo.
If we need a sh.t load of backslapping or to build a statue to celebrate what should just be standard behaviour in telling di.kheads to not say di.khead things were making it an out of the ordinairy thing.
And it shouldn’t be, it should just be standard behaviour to tell di.kheads to shutup or to use em as an example of what a di.khead is and how to avoid being one.
In 20 years we will look back on this and it will be 95% support for the statue and 5% of dickheads against it (the vocal minority), much like the Goodes Doco.

People bringing up comparisons to the Winmar statue and saying that moment is more powerful. I bet to differ. The difference is retrospect. Hell its taken 20 years from that moment to get to the point where we are starting to change our attitudes and respect for First Nations people in general.

The difference is this time the statue has been made “live” and in the moment rather than retrospect. Partly due to attention seeking from big corporations, but the story is still there. Society changes, attitudes change. We are only in the early stages in this cultural shift. Again, in 20 years when the dust starts to settle everyone will look back and have a different retrospective interpretation.

All you old campaigners out there can back me up on this one. Any of you doubt that the internet would ever be a place where you could shop? Watch films? Did you know someone who thought the internet would just be a passing fad? Computers the same?

In 20 years we will look back on this and it will be 95% support for the statue and 5% of dickheads against it (the vocal minority), much like the Goodes Doco.

People bringing up comparisons to the Winmar statue and saying that moment is more powerful. I bet to differ. The difference is retrospect. Hell its taken 20 years from that moment to get to the point where we are starting to change our attitudes and respect for First Nations people in general.

The difference is this time the statue has been made “live” and in the moment rather than retrospect. Partly due to attention seeking from big corporations, but the story is still there. Society changes, attitudes change. We are only in the early stages in this cultural shift. Again, in 20 years when the dust starts to settle everyone will look back and have a different retrospective interpretation.

All you old campaigners out there can back me up on this one. Any of you doubt that the internet would ever be a place where you could shop? Watch films? Did you know someone who thought the internet would just be a passing fad? Computers the same?
Mate...I'm an old timer and to me the Internet is heaven! :)

WOW...Kudos to you W23J that is very well thought out and put...the difference is retrospect!...

Did you ever dream in your wildest dreams you’d be able to share multiple moving images of your favourite television programs with people all over the world in a few clicks? 😉
No and neither did I think I would be able to satisfy that young fellow that I was, interested in Model Tanks, now as an old timer, with Kits bought from all over the World! My inner child loves the Net! :)

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, good point and I agree I spose.
I think it’s about the photo and not the individual.
To build a statue is a significant pointer to commemurate and event.
I think the event of rising above silly comments or disgusting comments...
I expect that.
I think that should be the standard.

Yeah, good point and I agree I spose.
I think it’s about the photo and not the individual.
To build a statue is a significant pointer to commemurate and event.
I think the event of rising above silly comments or disgusting comments...
I expect that.
I think that should be the standard.
Just broaden the brush strokes a little... think of it this way. The Winmar moment was a key event in a 300 year long timeline (a continuing timeline). If you’d suggested 50 years ago an aboriginal man would be immortalised in bronze for taking a stand against racist and belittling comments (or even suggested that comments like “go walk about” were offensive for that matter) you’d be laughed all the way out of town.

While this particular moment captured in the photo and the ensuing discussions/storm aren’t such a landmark, isolated moment as the Winmar photo, it’s still a key moment in a couple of timelines (revolving around online harassment as well as women). We are already waking up to the impact that online harassment can have, or even just mindless social media commentary. Women have been fighting for justice and rights for decades as well, and societal opinion has changed significantly even in the last few.

It’s hard to get that message across though in a world dominated by instant gratification and small picture me, here, now thinking. Hence why a lot of the backlash you see are comments like “big whoop what has she done she hasn’t even achieved anything in a sham of a low quality competition anyway - why she bronze?”

Just broaden the brush strokes a little... think of it this way. The Winmar moment was a key event in a 300 year long timeline (a continuing timeline). If you’d suggested 50 years ago an aboriginal man would be immortalised in bronze for taking a stand against racist and belittling comments (or even suggested that comments like “go walk about” were offensive for that matter) you’d be laughed all the way out of town.

While this particular moment captured in the photo and the ensuing discussions/storm aren’t such a landmark, isolated moment as the Winmar photo, it’s still a key moment in a couple of timelines (revolving around online harassment as well as women). We are already waking up to the impact that online harassment can have, or even just mindless social media commentary. Women have been fighting for justice and rights for decades as well, and societal opinion has changed significantly even in the last few.

It’s hard to get that message across though in a world dominated by instant gratification and small picture me, here, now thinking. Hence why a lot of the backlash you see are comments like “big whoop what has she done she hasn’t even achieved anything in a sham of a low quality competition anyway - why she bronze?”
I understand all of that and it’s not that I don’t want to acknowledge women’s achievements, or support women as role models across all of society or promote the idea that anybody and everybody deserves an amount of respect just by virtue of existence.
Im a single dad of an 11 yr old girl and I want her to grow up strong and to be able to use her confidence and at times I worry it isn’t a level playing field.
I try and teach her, you only belong when everyone is different, be yourself, do what your good at and Tigers are the best chuck out the rest.
None of that pertains to what annoys me about the idea of that statue.
My unpopular opinion is that although I get it that we as a society and community have to move forward at the pace of our slowest, to erect statues to remind the twits out there not to be twits, it’s not a celebration it’s a manufactured reminder of di.kheads who say stupid things.
What annoys me is that this has become a good idea as opposed to something celebrating women and their achievements.
And if it isn’t that, what is it?
Back slapping because we didn’t like it that the herald sun removed a photo?

Also, the unveiling of it with the media and Tayla Harris there. The truth of the matter is it is only a painted fibreglass piece thats been put there to test public opinion for market research, so NAB can make an effective decision about their Brand and whether or not to commission the artist to move forward with the statue.
Which annoys me.

I understand all of that and it’s not that I don’t want to acknowledge women’s achievements, or support women as role models across all of society or promote the idea that anybody and everybody deserves an amount of respect just by virtue of existence.
Im a single dad of an 11 yr old girl and I want her to grow up strong and to be able to use her confidence and at times I worry it isn’t a level playing field.
I try and teach her, you only belong when everyone is different, be yourself, do what your good at and Tigers are the best chuck out the rest.
My unpopular opinion is that although I get it that we as a society and community have to move forward at the pace of our slowest, to erect statues to remind the twits out there not to be twits, it’s not a celebration it’s a manufactured reminder of di.kheads who say stupid things.
What annoys me is that this has become a good idea as opposed to something celebrating women and their achievements.

Also, the unveiling of it with the media and Tayla Harris there. The truth of the matter is it is only a painted fibreglass piece thats been put there to test public opinion for market research, so NAB can make an effective decision about their Brand and whether or not to commission the artist to move forward with the statue.
Which annoys me.

It's the world we live in. The most annoying part in all of it is the outrage and offence that this statue is generating is worth far more in terms of advertising than empowerment and anything remotely positive. People will naturally engage far more to voice their opinion about something they disagree with rather than something that makes them feel nice and fuzzy. It's probably the biggest downside of the internet and being so connected. Once upon a time all this negativity and outrage was focused into a lean 50 minutes of news with 10 minutes of fluff and weather on the outside but today, if you want it, you can spend all day disagreeing on the internet and driving up interactions for some company.

It's the world we live in. The most annoying part in all of it is the outrage and offence that this statue is generating is worth far more in terms of advertising than empowerment and anything remotely positive. People will naturally engage far more to voice their opinion about something they disagree with rather than something that makes them feel nice and fuzzy. It's probably the biggest downside of the internet and being so connected. Once upon a time all this negativity and outrage was focused into a lean 50 minutes of news with 10 minutes of fluff and weather on the outside but today, if you want it, you can spend all day disagreeing on the internet and driving up interactions for some company.
And if it does get knocked back because of divided opinion then again, it can be argued we’ve failed to recognise women.
For me the bottom line is it’s a reaction to a negative, I’m all for something like a Boulevard of Honour.

Fanny Durack the first Australian to win a gold medal in swimming in 1912.
The NSW state swimming body didn’t think women should be allowed at the Olympics so she had to pay her own way.
Cathy Freeman getting told she wasn’t allowed to carry the Aboriginal flag after she did so when she won the gold she carried the Australian and the aboriginal flag.
You could come up with loads of examples to celebrate really high achievers in Sport, Politics and other walks of life, extraordinary people who were women I think thats a better idea and a more positive idea than like you said something contentious designed to stir the pot.

Very insightful. Same in business/retail, 1% unhappy customers make far more "noise" than 99% satisfied customers.

I can see your point of view and understand it, it makes sense.

What I would say is that it takes a lot for Tayla to stand up against all that - remember the original response was to take down the picture and sweep it under the carpet. The fact that it is now a statue is a perfect example of what happens when someone stands up and tells those d***heads to shut up.

Which annoys me.
Maybe I’m reading into the statue wrong (I haven’t read any of the press releases from NAB or listened to any of that top down dribble) but to me it’s not about celebrating achievements... it’s about standing up to being subject to constant sexualisation and harassment. It’s about trying to break down the deeply ingrained way in which we as a people in general treat and degrade each other. Hell if you go through Instagram and read the comments on both innocent strangers and those in the public eye, there’s plenty who didn’t stand up and say that’s enough. Don’t underestimate the effect that mindless internet dribble can have on an individuals psychology. It’s akin to being racially abused from the stands, except instead of isolated incidents that cut deep, it’s a constant itching at the surface... it’s being surrounded by a constant sea of commentary.

It’s more than “celebrating the achievements of women” you’re not wrong in saying that there’s plenty of examples we can use for that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back