Opinion Unpopular opinions

Remove this Banner Ad

Following on from a similar thread on the main board, what is your unpopular opinion on AFL footy?
The opinion you have that you know damn well is in the minority?
I'll start.
I hate the banners. I think they are unnecessary and a bit nuff.

They need to stop singing the club songs after wins. It used to be good, showed passion etc but now it just comes accross as outdated and cringey.

Club songs should be played over the speaker before the game and after a win only imo, teams shouldn't have to go back and sing them together. You can tell they hate it anyway with how they rush through it constantly.

They need to stop singing the theme songs after wins. It used to be good, showed passion etc but now it just comes accross as outdated and cringey.

Theme songs should be played over the speaker before the game and after a win only imo, teams shouldn't have to go back and sing them together. You can tell they hate it anyway with how they rush through it constantly.
Depends on the team. We won what 18 games last year? Gets a bit boring at times. But for a side like Carlton its a big thing for them.

Not sure if this is unpopular or not, but I hate the idea of player movement during the season. I know other sporting codes do it but I buy into 44 Richmond players every year, and they are who I care about. A footy club without people is just an idea, and I don't follow the club as an idea or concept. Not a fan of changing the pieces mid-season.

“Aussie Aussie Aussie...oi oi oi.”

Tired. Lame. Boring. People who yell that out are the same people who start all their work emails with “Hi Team.”

Saps.
That is not unpopular surely?
most people hate that s**t

Not sure if this is unpopular or not, but I hate the idea of player movement during the season. I know other sporting codes do it but I buy into 44 Richmond players every year, and they are who I care about. A footy club without people is just an idea, and I don't follow the club as an idea or concept. Not a fan of changing the pieces mid-season.
I agree. It works well in sports like the NBA because of the amount of games they play compared to the AFL, would feel really weird doing it with a comp that has 22 games a season, compared to 82. Mid season draft I’m not fussed about, benefits teams like us that are genuinely injury struck and need fill ins, as well as giving delisted players a chance to extend their careers. but a trade period mid season seems ridiculous and unnecessary

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can't believe this wasn't my first one.

But my major unpopular opinion about AFL, which I have ranted about many times before on this board... Kids should NOT be presenting medals at the AFL Grand Final. It is a major annual sporting event for an elite code that is supposed to be professional. Having kids present players with medal completely devalues the whole occasion and makes it look amateurish.

Look at the Grand Final presentations from the Old days and there is a much more professional vibe to them.

What holds more weight? Having a medal presented to you by a champion in a suit and tie or a small child in an Auskick jumper?

But my major unpopular opinion about AFL, which I have ranted about many times before on this board... Kids should NOT be presenting medals at the AFL Grand Final. It is a major annual sporting event for an elite code that is supposed to be professional. Having kids present players with medal completely devalues the whole occasion and makes it look amateurish.

Look at the Grand Final presentations from the Old days and there is a much more professional vibe to them.

What holds more weight? Having a medal presented to you by a champion in a suit and tie or a small child in an Auskick jumper?
whoa!

I think cheer squads are lame and nuff.
Not anything against the actual individuals who make up cheer squads. They love their club like we all do.
But they offer nothing.

Why do you hate children so much?

Why do you hate children so much?

I don't hate children at all.

They get more involvement in AFL footy than most other sports, particularly getting the oppurtunity to play at half time every week. I am all for that sort of thing and think it's great to get the kids involved. However, there is a time and place for getting the kids involved and the biggest AFL ceremony of the year is NOT that time and place imo.

22 players just busted their arses all year and then for two hours on the day to get where they did, surely they deserve better than to have medals presented to them by kids?

No selling of alcohol.
People can do without for 3hrs surely.

I rarely drink at the footy but from my observations the people that get w***ered at the game have put in a pretty good shift somewhere prior to turning up.

I don't hate children at all.

They get more involvement in AFL footy than most other sports, particularly getting the oppurtunity to play at half time every week. I am all for that sort of thing and think it's great to get the kids involved. However, there is a time and place for getting the kids involved and the biggest AFL ceremony of the year is NOT that time and place imo.

22 players just busted their arses all year and then for two hours on the day to get where they did, surely they deserve better than to have medals presented to them by kids?

I was joking ND. But no they don’t. It’s a game and it’s a way of connecting to the grass roots. Granted it’s a bit of a marketing ploy but it’s a nice touch.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back