Opinion Unpopular opinions

Remove this Banner Ad

Talking about footy terms

I hate it when commentators call a bad performance “a hard day in the office”

Comparing sports to the office, imo is stupid

You've reminded me of an expert takedown one of the commentators did in the GWS v Pies prelim. One of them said an overused phrase to describe something that happened, and the other commentator eloquently insulted him and shut him down but it was so easy to miss at the same time. Does anyone else remember this moment and the phrase? It's killing me hahah

The suggestion is 15 games in the year. I think at least those involved in the finals campaign should get one. After all it's a team game, hate to see someone miss out after sacrificing their own bodies for the Team
Totally on board with this. Even a lower threshold of games, like minimum 6 games or something.

I don't think anyone would begrudge Graham, Stack, McIntosh, Ross getting a medal.

I'm against the whole list of 44 getting medals though, which people are suggesting. That to me just cheapens it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Totally on board with this. Even a lower threshold of games, like minimum 6 games or something.

I don't think anyone would begrudge Graham, Stack, McIntosh, Ross getting a medal.

I'm against the whole list of 44 getting medals though, which people are suggesting. That to me just cheapens it

I honestly don't think players would want a medal if they don't play. Players want to play on the day, not be given a consolation prize. I mean, Leon Davis who was given a medal after getting dropped for the GF replay in 2010 has even said he doesn't feel he deserves a premiership medal, and gave it to his mum to keep because he didn't want it (also said he wouldn't of let anyone else keep it had he actually played). Even Bob Murphy, who Luke Beveridge gave his medal to, ended up giving the medal back within weeks.

No one wants something handed to them out of pity. It sucks, but a large reason why it's so valuable is because only the 22 who play and win on the day get one. If anyone other than 22 deserves a medal, it's the assistant coaches imo, since they're involved every match and and put in just as much work (if not more) than the players.

I honestly don't think players would want a medal if they don't play. Players want to play on the day, not be given a consolation prize. I mean, Leon Davis who was given a medal after getting dropped for the GF replay in 2010 has even said he doesn't feel he deserves a premiership medal, and gave it to his mum to keep because he didn't want it (also said he wouldn't of let anyone else keep it had he actually played). Even Bob Murphy, who Luke Beveridge gave his medal to, ended up giving the medal back within weeks.

No one wants something handed to them out of pity. It sucks, but a large reason why it's so valuable is because only the 22 who play and win on the day get one. If anyone other than 22 deserves a medal, it's the assistant coaches imo, since they're involved every match and and put in just as much work (if not more) than the players.
Yes I totally get where you are coming from, maybe it's just what Graham did, deliberately sacrificing his own chances to allow the team to have a crack at the premiership. If Graham got a medal I think he would think he was a big part of winning the premiership.

The other night Carey was talking about the time AFL gave runner-up medals for the GF, and they all ended up in the bin.

Have to agree as I thought the exact same thing.

Did we really need a statue to commemorate putting some sad losers on the internet in there place. Just reeks of way overs for the feel good PR and photo op. I get it’s meant to symbolise a line in the sand but I’m not about it. Harmless and doesn’t effect anyone but I’d be filthy it they put it at the G with the other champions.

A statue should only be for people who have made a different over a long term by sporting achievement or other reasons.
I think we should be more critical of large companies commissioning things to virtue signal and try and get some good CSR points. The same thing happened with that girl statue on Wall Street. Commissioned by some hedge fund for W O K E points

AFLW can GTFO.

PC campaigners can be right behind them.

Why does it bother people though?

I don’t watch it either, I also don’t like golf but I don’t complain that it exists like some do with AFLW. I just don’t watch it

Remove this Banner Ad

Back