Unpopular Port Adelaide opinion you may have

Remove this Banner Ad

Wargreymon90

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 3, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
After reading the NAB cup thread, it has been pointed that people get attacked for having different opinions about things regarding our football club. I thought it might be interesting to hear some opinions other posters may have which may be slightly controversial. Lets keep it classy so no things like "he's a pathetic excuse for a footballer" or "shittest player to ever play the game.

mine would be:
1. Even if Butcher becomes injury free, he will always be held back by his kicking. Personally i am more excited by Shaw. Willing to give both a go though

2. I don.t think Moore will ever be a Josh Kennedy type midfielder (doesnt have the body shape). He was recruited as a HFF/Utlilty, and thats what he should be used as. I see comparisons to Goddard (minus the kicking skills)

3. Brett Ebert played some good football in the second half of last year and would be comfortable with him in my starting 22

Jan 21, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Brett Ebert looked alright towards the end of last year and I thought he did really well against stkilda in round 1 of the NAB cup

Young is a good footballer people just need to give him a chance

Same goes for O'Shea only played 4 games last year, yeah they weren't great but he is one of the best runners in the group. Thought he played well 2 weeks ago but everyone focused on the miss at goal, rather than his efforts around the ground.

Nice idea for a thread.

Positive:
Cameron Hitchcock is a handy footballer who's worth persisting with.

Kane Cornes improved out of sight last year. He wasn't as good as Brad Ebert, but I would've had no complaints if he finished second in the B&F. (not necessarily unpopular, but definitely polarizing)

Tom Jonas is in our top 10 best players.

Negative:
Paul Stewart as a forward is overrated based on a few memorable moments. He played two very good games there and we all remember his cameo against North Melbourne, but apart from those three games he showed very little. He should be played permanently off of a HBF, he's too inconsistent when he's played further up the field.

Campbell Heath has done nothing to excite me. Not yet anyway.

That's not unpopular.

Wargreymon90

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 3, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Brett Ebert looked alright towards the end of last year and I thought he did really well against stkilda in round 1 of the NAB cup

Same goes for O'Shea only played 4 games last year, yeah they weren't great but he is one of the best runners in the group. Thought he played well 2 weeks ago but everyone focused on the miss at goal, rather than his efforts around the ground.

I kind of agree on O'shea. He definitely has the tools, he is an elite runner and actually has very good disposal. He just needs to learn to back himself and not freak out whenever the ball is near him

Dalphonso

Premiership Player
Oct 10, 2009
Alice Springs NT
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Territory Thunder,Waratahs FC
I think that the recruitment of Monfries spelt the end of Brett Ebert's career.
Monfries will spend much more time in the middle than he will in the forward line.
Maybe Hinks will give BrettBert more time on the ball also? He did win a Magarey medal playing there.

Well put Wargreymon90. No need to trash our players and this will be monitored closely.

This is a bit of De Bono red hat exercise so let people have their say without attacking.

I think a guy who has won 4 John Cahill medals still has plenty to offer and is not as useless as some here would suggest.

drcollossimo

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 22, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide United
Kornes is a legend of our club maligned it has to be said but up there with the rest IMO

However his kicking does lack penetration and he does run to bad spots to demand the ball in at least every game he has played for us.

I wish he had looked at this closely because he could so much more if it was resolved

I hope that was constructive enough not to incur moderator wrath

*I love the SANFL......and Port owe them for the wonderful support they have always given us....

*not actually be true, but would be an incredibly unpopular opinion!

Portia

#DrewBlood
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog Port Adelaide - Jesse Palmer Player Sponsor 2017 Podcaster Port Adelaide - Riley Bonner Player Sponsor 2016 Port Adelaide - Brendon AhChee Player Sponsor 2014 Port Adelaide - Jarrad Redden Player Sponsor 2014 Port Adelaide - Matthew Broadbent Player Sponsor 2013 Port Adelaide - Captains Club 2012 Sponsor Port Adelaide - John Butcher 2012 Player Sponsor
Oct 7, 2001
Fragile bastion of liberalism
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Muckbuckle Dolmens
This is tricky, because I have to think of opinions that are currently unpopular, as opposed to `started unpopular but drew support later'.

1. The ongoing existence of a Port Adelaide side at SANFL level, that is anything other than purely a Power reserves side, is actively damaging the club's image.

2. Jake Neade and Kane Mitchell are too short to ever be regular AFL players in any non-bottom four side.

3. We should have delisted Brett Ebert at the end of 2008.
3a. We certainly should have delisted him this year.
3b. We certainly shouldn't have kept him at the end of 2011 to get Brad.

4. We shouldn't have renewed Choco's contract midseason but waited for the end of 2004.

5. Adelaide Oval is a huge mistake, and we should've held out for a stadium that doesn't involve the SACA or stayed at Footy Park, rather than add an extra landlord that wants a full cut of our gameday.

6. Hartlett should not ever be played in the bullshit Salopek `quarterback' role.

7. We need a third genuine key forward, as Schulz and J. Butcher will likely never play more than 16 games a season each, and should keep recruiting them until we have three.

8. Retiring J-Mac's number is stupid, and as sad as what happened may be, its a young guy killing himself doing something foolish, possiby under the influence. It happens all the time.

9. PAFC should move from Alberton to somewhere closer to the city, eg. Thebarton, to be better placed for pre & post match stuff from 2013 onwards.

10. Standing on the hill with a beer is not as good as being centre-wing undercover eating a cold hotdog.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jun 19, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
This is tricky, because I have to think of opinions that are currently unpopular, as opposed to `started unpopular but drew support later'.

1. The ongoing existence of a Port Adelaide side at SANFL level, that is anything other than purely a Power reserves side, is actively damaging the club's image.

2. Jake Neade and Kane Mitchell are too short to ever be regular AFL players in any non-bottom four side.

3. We should have delisted Brett Ebert at the end of 2008.
3a. We certainly should have delisted him this year.
3b. We certainly shouldn't have kept him at the end of 2011 to get Brad.

4. We shouldn't have renewed Choco's contract midseason but waited for the end of 2004.

5. Adelaide Oval is a huge mistake, and we should've held out for a stadium that doesn't involve the SACA or stayed at Footy Park, rather than add an extra landlord that wants a full cut of our gameday.

6. Hartlett should not ever be played in the bullshit Salopek `quarterback' role.

7. We need a third genuine key forward, as Schulz and J. Butcher will likely never play more than 16 games a season each, and should keep recruiting them until we have three.

8. Retiring J-Mac's number is stupid, and as sad as what happened may be, its a young guy killing himself doing something foolish, possiby under the influence. It happens all the time.

9. PAFC should move from Alberton to somewhere closer to the city, eg. Thebarton, to be better placed for pre & post match stuff from 2013 onwards.

10. Standing on the hill with a beer is not as good as being centre-wing undercover eating a cold hotdog.

I agree with the bolded bits. I partially agree with point 5 and 7, and disagree with point 9, although i'm not against hiring or commandeering a city venue for after match functions.

5. Adelaide Oval is a huge mistake

Now that, my friend, is an unpopular opinion. Well done.

In response to your Jake Neade and Kane Mitchell comment, I have an unpopular opinion that applies to the whole competition rather than specifically relating to Port Adelaide. People get too hung up on a player's size. If somebody's good enough, he's good enough. Plenty of players who don't have what would traditionally be considered an AFL suited body have had good careers.

Dalphonso

Premiership Player
Oct 10, 2009
Alice Springs NT
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Territory Thunder,Waratahs FC
I agree with the bolded bits. I partially agree with point 5 and 7, and disagree with point 9, although i'm not against hiring or commandeering a city venue for after match functions.
Retiring a number for a season or two is only out of respect.Someone will come along and want to wear his number to be proud of and he will have JMacs Families blessing.

Portia

#DrewBlood
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog Port Adelaide - Jesse Palmer Player Sponsor 2017 Podcaster Port Adelaide - Riley Bonner Player Sponsor 2016 Port Adelaide - Brendon AhChee Player Sponsor 2014 Port Adelaide - Jarrad Redden Player Sponsor 2014 Port Adelaide - Matthew Broadbent Player Sponsor 2013 Port Adelaide - Captains Club 2012 Sponsor Port Adelaide - John Butcher 2012 Player Sponsor
Oct 7, 2001
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Muckbuckle Dolmens
Now that, my friend, is an unpopular opinion. Well done.

In response to your Jake Neade and Kane Mitchell comment, I have an unpopular opinion that applies to the whole competition rather than specifically relating to Port Adelaide. People get too hung up on a player's size. If somebody's good enough, he's good enough. Plenty of players who don't have what would traditionally be considered an AFL suited body have had good careers.
Sure they have, but how many guys under 175cms do?

Trewth

shootin from the lip
Mar 21, 2011
amongst the rabble
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Knicks, Canucks, Raiders, St Pauli
I feel that Justin Westhoff has been unfairly maligned by the way he looks. That includes his appearance and also how he runs and holds himself. It not only makes him more noticeable than other players, so you notice his play and remember it over someone else, but his laconic action and posture give people the illusion that he is not trying or contributing, when statistics show that is not true. I'm glad he is on our team and not somebody else's.

Sure they have, but how many guys under 175cms do?

Brent Harvey, David Rodan (his career with us didn't end well, but he's played nearly 200 games so he must've done something right), Jarryd Blair, Eddie Betts, Hayden Ballantyne, Matthew Stokes, Shannon Byrnes, Stephen Milne (technically he's 176cm, but he's worth mentioning), Adam Schneider, Ben McGlynn, and a few other borderline 'successful' players who I didn't include. Dayne Zorko, Jamie Elliott, Paul Puopolo, Brandon Matera and Dion Prestia have also had promising starts to their career.

And that's just current day players. An 163cm player won a Brownlow not too long ago.

Portia

#DrewBlood
Oct 7, 2001
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Muckbuckle Dolmens
And that's just current day players. An 163cm player won a Brownlow not too long ago
His son is on an AFL list. I think that meets the definition of his football career being `long ago'. Also not relevant to the modern game.

As for the rest, thats the absolute best players in this category? Measure that against players of any other similar height range, and thats comfortably the weakest.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back