Unpopular Port Adelaide opinion you may have

I think Xavier Duursma is great, but his bow & arrow goal celebration makes me cringe. If he played for any other team we would all be calling him out for it.

Keep kicking goals though, Xav.

The Port Adelaide of old wouldn't have given two shits what 'any other team' thinks of a player's goal celebration. Ken Hinkley's Port Adelaide doesn't want to hurt the opposition's feelings.

The bow and arrow is a little silly, but it's a statement of confidence and it's a statement of intent. It's not Xavier's fault that he plays for a team that couldn't back it up and for a coach desperate to keep his job by stamping out anything that might raise the bar of expectation of the team's performance.

70sDinosaur

Premiership Player
May 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I think Xavier Duursma is great, but his bow & arrow goal celebration makes me cringe. If he played for any other team we would all be calling him out for it.

I'm not a big fan of goal celebrations but I'm even less of a fan of hypocrisy and that's what we're seeing on this at present.

Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Every supporter generally dislikes goal celebrations of other teams players and likes their own. No hypocrisy there, or at least everyone is equally hypocritical. As long as they aren't doing it off the back of others work most of the time (Josh 'The goose' Jenkins), going over the top seeking adulation from the crowd (Texta) or deliberately antagonising opposition supporters (half of Adelaide's players. Hmm I see a theme for poor sports here), then trying to stamp them out only makes a league they've already removed much of the personality from even more bland.

Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Not Giving In and NTUA are making us a laughing stock, especially when we regularly get torn apart and give in. I can't even be bothered standing up anymore, cringeworthy.

On HTC Desire 650 using BigFooty.com mobile app
Not Giving In I agree with. It's time has passed. NTUA has nothing to do with the game about to be played so it's fine. It's now just as much a F-U at the club hierarchy as the SNAFL/SMA these days.

Not sure if an opinion or more a prediction, but everyone seems confident Ken will be gone by the end of the year. I am not so sure. The club were stupid enough to sign him till 2021 (although there may be some sort of trigger in 2020). I want him gone as much as most, but people are too hopeful. He will be here next year. With the soft cap spending, we can't afford to pay him out now.

Nov 5, 2010
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Not sure if an opinion or more a prediction, but everyone seems confident Ken will be gone by the end of the year. I am not so sure. The club were stupid enough to sign him till 2021 (although there may be some sort of trigger in 2020). I want him gone as much as most, but people are too hopeful. He will be here next year. With the soft cap spending, we can't afford to pay him out now.
This is pretty much my unpopular opinion at the moment. The timing is currently wrong to sack Ken (mainly in regards to off field reasons). The impact of his remaining contract to the football department cap coupled with the current demand for new senior coaches puts us well and truly on the back foot.

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Aston Villa, San Antonio Spurs
Unpopular opinion: the quintessential pessimistic Port Supporter, that was crucial to our success in our SANFL days, almost killed the club in our AFL journey and will continue to be an issue until we have achieved generational change.
Disagree but with one caveat

The quintessential pessimistic Port supporter always had the ability to spill the board and therefore put genuine pressure on the board. The ownership/board/administration issues we've had since we joined the AFL mean that we don't have that.

The ruthless, demanding Port supporter is absolutely an asset not a liability in the right scenario and I believe that does translate to fully professional AFL football.

However, we've got a toxic situation at the moment where those supporters have very little agency and we simultaneously have a very un-Port Adelaide administration presiding over a very un-Port Adelaide club playing very un-Port Adelaide football.

In any case, the alternative isn't great.

Jan 5, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
What people don’t realise... Voss won’t get a job this year. All three caretaker coaches will get their jobs. When we sack Hinkley next year guess who will be coach. It will happen. Voss will be appointed. It’s the most port adelaide thing that could happen. Can anyone seriously see KT and Koch picking a Bassett or some unknown over Voss?

The sad part is that when we lose Hinkley, Voss will be our head coach in 2021

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Aston Villa, San Antonio Spurs
The sad part is that when we lose Hinkley, Voss will be our head coach in 2021

Since we're in the thread for it:

I wouldn't be particularly upset with this, provided it was part of a decent football dept shakeup. Bassett would have to go as well.

He wouldn't be my first choice, but i'd see this as being a long way from being simply more of the same. Voss is a lifetime ruthless winner. He came undone at Brisbane as a brash new coach trying to win now. I'd suggest he's learnt a lot and i'd suggest he'd have some strong opinions about forwards, given he made his name as a 3 time premiership captain in a side that played 3 gorilla KPFs in the one side.

Ross Lyon: Like Ken, but better!

I'd prefer we move away from that way of doing things, not improve it.

Could not agree with this post more.

Since we're in the thread for it:

I wouldn't be particularly upset with this, provided it was part of a decent football dept shakeup. Bassett would have to go as well.

He wouldn't be my first choice, but i'd see this as being a long way from being simply more of the same. Voss is a lifetime ruthless winner. He came undone at Brisbane as a brash new coach trying to win now. I'd suggest he's learnt a lot and i'd suggest he'd have some strong opinions about forwards, given he made his name as a 3 time premiership captain in a side that played 3 gorilla KPFs in the one side.

Agree with this too. Hinkley and Bassett absolutely must go, but I wouldn't be horrified if Voss is still at the club next year. While I'd prefer our senior coach to be somebody who's never so much as met Ken Hinkley, let alone coached under him, I don't think Voss shares the same responsibility for our shitness as Hinkley and Bassett do. And there would have to be some intangible benefit for the kids in rocking up to the club and having triple premiership captain and legend of the game Michael Voss being the guy giving them advice.

I want to make the 8 and play finals as I'm the type who believes that anything can happen if you do!

Any Given Sunday and all that!

May 20, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I like the grey clash guernsey, LA Raiders like

The white clash with the black panel down the sides always looked boring to me, and too similar to St Kilda/Collingwood clash guernseys.

Back