Unpopular Port Adelaide opinion you may have

I like the grey clash guernsey, LA Raiders like

View attachment 721044

The white clash with the black panel down the sides always looked boring to me, and too similar to St Kilda/Collingwood clash guernseys.
Untitled.jpg

AlkalineX

Rookie
Jun 30, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
All this sledging of the interstate "franchises" really wears thin when you remember that nearly all of them have more flags than we do.

And as I started following this club when they joined in '97, as a West Australian, this sort of fudging around, choking and humiliation is all I know the club for.

Magus

Cancelled
10k Posts Bring Back the Bars
Dec 31, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Dallas Mavericks
Letting Jack Hombsch go was a mistake. Was always a superior player to Jonas.

Jonas before this year looked way better while Hombsch looked like he was really struggling with his hips.

Jan 5, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Maybe not unpopular but

I still get down seeing Wingard in a hawthorn jumper. Should had been a one club player. Was one of my favourites. We got a good deal but I would take him back if he ever wanted to come back.

Alternatively I see Polec as a north player now, maybe it’s coz Polec left us and chased money where in my head (based on Wingards post on social media and the talk from the club) that we pushed Chad out. Fortnite or not, loved the way chad played the game

Last edited:

* me, if this isn't some major revisionist history I don't know what is.

Find me the posts you made in 2017 and 2018 saying that Hombsch was a better player than Jonas at the time.

Jan 30, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The list is cooked, we missed our chance to sack Hinkley in 2016 to eke out a couple strong years.

Now we are left with a bunch of slow 30 somethings, about to lose our 3 potential star mids of 2 years back in Polec/wines/Wingard in consecutive seasons. We won’t be able to deal with the damage to depth of retiring 30+’s in next year or so. With a good coach I expect we could make top 4 but not threaten to win it by the time 2020 or (please no) 2021 rolls around.

chickentendies

Cancelled
BeanCoiNFT Investor
Mar 26, 2017
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Schofield would be a short sighted, poor choice for senior coach. Coaching in the WAFL is incredibly different to the AFL and working in the AFL system is a far better determinant of success than winning premierships in the WAFL.
Only reason it makes sense is because it means Hinkley isn't senior coach.

Schofield would be a short sighted, poor choice for senior coach. Coaching in the WAFL is incredibly different to the AFL and working in the AFL system is a far better determinant of success than winning premierships in the WAFL.
Someone who has coached their own side for 6 years and had full control of the football program across 3 grades of a club is probably better experience than 6-8 years purely as an assistant coach at AFL level and never had to make tough decisions re selection, cutting players and implement positional and strategy changes on game day.

Sure compared to someone who has coached 6 years as head coach at AFL level they are behind the 8 ball, but most coaches who have never coached their own side, be it an AFL reserves side or state league side are more likely to fail than ones who have. I want someone who has experienced the heat of being the main man and having to make the tough decisions on game day.

chickentendies

Cancelled
BeanCoiNFT Investor
Mar 26, 2017
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Someone who has coached their own side for 6 years and had full control of the football program across 3 grades of a club is probably better experience than 6-8 years purely as an assistant coach at AFL level and never had to make tough decisions re selection, cutting players and implement positional and strategy changes on game day.

Sure compared to someone who has coached 6 years as head coach at AFL level they are behind the 8 ball, but most coaches who have never coached their own side, be it an AFL reserves side or state league side are more likely to fail than ones who have. I want someone who has experienced the heat of being the main man and having to make the tough decisions on game day.

I think this could be me being picky but I like to see both. It won't shock me if Schofield succeeds and clearly shows he's an excellent candidate.

Its funny because I wrote that post then saw you mention your chat with him and his management style was apparent in that decision, which to me is what I want to see. I hope and think I'm wrong on all this.

Magus

Cancelled
10k Posts Bring Back the Bars
Dec 31, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Dallas Mavericks
fu** me, if this isn't some major revisionist history I don't know what is.

Find me the posts you made in 2017 and 2018 saying that Hombsch was a better player than Jonas at the time.

This is the unpopular opinions thread. Save your outrage.

HinkleysHeroes

Premiership Player
Jul 1, 2017
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
He built a whole clubs winning culture from the bottom up in 6 years. exactly the type of thing we need right now because our club culture has stunk since 2007

JimmyBeerCans

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Bring Back the Bars
May 6, 2013
Hell
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
fu** me, if this isn't some major revisionist history I don't know what is.

Hombsch was a much better footballer than Jonas before his injury problems.

This is the unpopular opinions thread. Save your outrage.

'Hombsch is currently a better player than Jonas' is an unpopular opinion. 'Hombsch has always been a better player than Jonas' is just a lie. You did not believe that in 2017 and 2018 and you know it.

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
Hombsh was better in the era of us playing football that wasn't geared to ease the pressure on defenders. Jonas looked better for a few years because he was fit and had team defense heavily weighted in his favour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back