Unpopular Port Adelaide opinion you may have

Not sure if it's unpopular or not but it seems I'm the only guy thinking it's a missed opportunity not filling all the Cat B spots.

Pudney was stiff to be replaced by an empty slot.

ClickBOOM1870

All Australian
Jul 27, 2016
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Not sure if it's unpopular or not but it seems I'm the only guy thinking it's a missed opportunity not filling all the Cat B spots.

I suspect we let Pudney go to free up that Cat B spot for Michael Frederick, but were blindsided by Fremantle who took a punt on Frederick with a late pick in the national draft.

Last edited:
I suspect we let Pudney go to free up that Cat B spot for Michael Frederick, but were blindsided by Fremantle who took a punt on Frederick in the draft.
But was he ever in our NGA to nominate? I read Martin's name in 2017 before we nominated him, as being a member of our NGA, and then nominated him before the 2018 draft. I never saw Michael's.

There's no point having him on the list if he wasn't going to make it. Especially if the club wants to use the SANFL to develop players to play a certain way.

There's no point having him on the list if he wasn't going to make it. Especially if the club wants to use the SANFL to develop players to play a certain way.
I thought he was pretty solid for a 1st year player. Tailed off near the end but expected for a kid.

May 26, 2017
Uruguayana, RS (BRA)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Grêmio, DC United, Pistons
I'm the only guy thinking it's a missed opportunity not filling all the Cat B spots.
You are not alone.
Unless something really bad happens, those players should stay two years minimum at the club.
At least one of the spots should be for a Chinese.

May 26, 2017
Uruguayana, RS (BRA)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Grêmio, DC United, Pistons
Not yet. But should be in a few years time.
I would still do it. The boy could study in Adelaide and train at Alberton. He would go back to China, and we would have a cell of Port supporters.

I would still do it. The boy could study in Adelaide and train at Alberton. He would go back to China, and we would have a cell of Port supporters.
Then we give them an international scholarship and they become one of the community club players contracted to play for the Magpies and learn the game playing for that club.

We did that with Chen Shaoling who was the best player in China and gave him a scholarship in March 2016, but he did his ACL either his first or think it was his 2nd training session with us an missed all of 2016 and most of 2017.

You weren't around here then and I'm not sure if we have talked about him much since you joined us but this is the thread about him between March 2016 and October 2018. He was on a 3 year scholarship but went home some time after October 2018 as I saw him at the 2018 best and fairest event.

GremioPower hopefully we have some Chinese born players who immigrated to Australia at an early age or have Chinese parents and were born here, and we can offer them a place in our NGA like Emmanuel Irra (Ugandan) 2017-18 seasons, and Kai Pudney (Japanese) and Martin Fredrick (Sudanese) this season.

Aug 15, 2015
The cockeyed lowlife of the (Southern) Highlands
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Trading Wingard and Howard out will be looked back on in five years time as the best thing that Port Adelaide has done since the 2004 premiership.

Trading Wingard and Howard will be looked back on in five years time as the stupidest thing that Port Adelaide have done since extending stinkley.

Trading Wingard and Howard will be looked back on in five years time as the stupidest thing that Port Adelaide have done since extending stinkley.
Given the state of the club's culture over the past 12 months, trading Wingard is already looking pretty stupid. He was supposed to be this cancer that, one extirpated, would fix all our problems.

Aug 15, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Given the state of the club's culture over the past 12 months, trading Wingard is already looking pretty stupid. He was supposed to be this cancer that, one extirpated, would fix all our problems.

He liked video games instead of taking shirtless photos at one of chadbros barbecues

I wouldn’t have thought this was an unpopular opinion.

Yeah. This was all the same s**t that Gold Coast were saying when Charlie 'likes the occasional wine and is therefore causing all our problems' Dixon left. And haven't they gone from strength to strength since.

Aug 15, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Yeah. This was all the same s**t that Gold Coast were saying when Charlie 'likes the occasional wine and is therefore causing all our problems' Dixon left. And haven't they gone from strength to strength since.

Had a glass of wine with dinner the night before going out and kicking a career best 7 goals for the suns in Tassie. Should do it more often

Mar 10, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Man Utd, Celtic, Tanunda
GremioPower hopefully we have some Chinese born players who immigrated to Australia at an early age or have Chinese parents and were born here, and we can offer them a place in our NGA like Emmanuel Irra (Ugandan) 2017-18 seasons, and Kai Pudney (Japanese) and Martin Fredrick (Sudanese) this season.

Really hoping that Port go absolute gangbusters with their NGA academies and flood them with massive numbers of potential players.

Then we may start to get the draftable numbers that some of the Melbourne based clubs are getting from theirs.

The fact is, especially with regards to the indigenous portion of our NGA, it provides education and demonstrates making good choices - which will assist a lot of these kids as the mature into adulthood and try to make the best life for themselves, even if they never become elite footballers, so the benefits are clear and obvious, and an overwhelming reason to continue to do it.

The problem is, a lot of the indigenous players in our Academy (not to mention the Borlase fiasco) are tied to the Camry's, however that should not stop us from giving them opportunities in life irrespective of whom it benefits. But I really do want to see a lot more of those kids coming through for us that are tied to Port as well.

I didn’t say 12 months, I said 5 years.

In 5 years Wingard will be 31 and Howard will be 29...as opposed to Burton (26), Duursma (24), Williams (23) and Jones (22), who were/will be the product of trading those players.

Coobk001

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 26, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
SA Spurs, Anaheim Ducks, White Sox
I think Ken is a shot at turning things around with the young players we have brought in.
Every year people think this, every...... single..... year.....

Last year it was "Oh, look we've changed, we'll definitely start to improve now"

Then round 2 comes along and it's all "we could be a top 4 shot, we beat Melbourne"

Then 2 weeks later we realise Melbourne are junk. Some people still live in denial at this point "you cant just say they are crap, and that's why we beat them. We broke their spirits we were so good."

Then round 10-12 comes along and most people have accepted it. With only the most ardent RCG wearer holding onto hope of greatness

But then by round 16-20 comes virtually everyone has finally realised its not happening and it's the same things over and over and over and over again with this team and coaching group. We aren't improving we're just continuing to tread water in this middle pack.

Even if we were to realistically forget our past, we have picked up some good kids but realistically only 1 might make the best 22, and we've lost a few fringe to best 22 players, so there's no obvious upward swing in this group.

Back