ag6858

All Australian
May 2, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Roosters, Sydney FC, Aus cricket
Channel 7's coverage isn't that bad and has improved dramatically from about 5 years ago.
Women's doubles is more entertaining than men's doubles.
Wimbledon and Roland Garros, especially need to get with the times and have night matches.
Trying to hit the net cord should be an accepted practice and not something to be apologised over.

Flameboy

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 1, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea
Men's tennis has got as boring as bats**t. Sure you might get a few 5 set epics but in the end the top 3/4 guys win the match pretty much EVERY time.
That's why it's so good. It's created a lot of incredible and meaningful rivalries with guys playing each other 4 or 5 times a year in important matches.

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
Love womens doubles compared to mens. the Bryan Brothers have ruined mens doubles. serve, put away.

agree on ch.7 as well. it should get better on next year as well with multi courts. the amount of coverage they do every summer with all the tournaments is fantastic. (apart from missing the first points)

pepsi

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 4, 2008
Maribyrnong
AFL Club
Essendon
That's why it's so good. It's created a lot of incredible and meaningful rivalries with guys playing each other 4 or 5 times a year in important matches.

Yes I agree with this. The best of the best competing in the big matches at the slams shows how good they are and lucky we are to witness this era.

I enjoy watching women's tennis, not Sharapova. But players like Li, Radwanska, Halep, Cibulkova, Stephens, Bouchard, Stosur (when she is confident), Azarenka (without sound) all have some good matches.

Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Kilmarnock
Women's tennis has definitely improved since the Safina/Wozniacki period.

Dominance of the 'big 4' definitely has pros and cons. Given how unique this era is, we should probably cherish it while we have it.

I was turned off womens tennis for a few years there, but I remember watching the Sydney final in 2008 between Henin & Kuznetsova, which restored my faith. Still, only really follow it at GS, whereas ATP I have followed week in week out since the late 90s.

Also agree on channel seven, coverage is far improved on 5 years, much more tennis, less rubbish. And there is no john Alexander so that automatically makes it 100 times better

Wimbledon will never have night matches scheduled, it's played on grass, dew would affect the court. The French have got to get with the times though

Miqar_Baqfhied

Cancelled
May 31, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Swan Districts
Bring back faster courts and wooden rackets. The game's popularity has desintegrated thanks to serve/volley being replaced by baseline bashing bore-fests.

catman 71

Club Legend
Sep 20, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Men's matches should be three sets.

The U.S Open should move from New York to L.A., so that rain is less of a factor.

I don't mind Sharapova's screaming(and try to visualize what I would have to do to her to get her to scream in ecstacy).

Miqar_Baqfhied

Cancelled
May 31, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Swan Districts
Men's matches should be three sets.

The U.S Open should move from New York to L.A., so that rain is less of a factor.

I don't mind Sharapova's screaming(and try to visualize what I would have to do to her to get her to scream in ecstacy).

Outside of the Slams and Davis Cup they are.

Aug 24, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
T'Wolves/Patrick Beverley/Footscray
GOAT arguments are stupid and irrelevant. Remember the players for who they were and what they accomplished individually - don't attempt to compare them to other players, especially from different era. Doing so is always reductionist. Every player played different tournaments, had different injuries, had different personal attributes, had different game styles and played different players. It's impossible to account for everything.

speedybundy

All Australian
Jun 12, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
Monfils is majorly overrated

Jim Courier's the best commentator on the CH7 team

CH7 and Aus Open schedulers give far to much bias to aussie players, Ebden V Pospisil on center court night session on day 2? And that little Aussie flag on the scorecard is unnecessary, either have both players flag or neither I reckon

Miqar_Baqfhied

Cancelled
May 31, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Swan Districts
Del Potro is unbearably overrated.

He just sits at the baseline and smacks it. I'll give it to him that his movement for a big guy is superb. But watch him when he gets a short ball - he'll just smack it and retreat to the baseline, and just re-set the rally. He has no form of net game at all.

And that is a major reason why he will never be number one.

Piers4Life

Rookie
Feb 11, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
He is capable of producing offensive tennis, but he is too often conservative. But that is not the issue - arrant inconsistency is. His scheduling is problematic, as he seems more interested in vulturing the 500s than winning his first Masters 1000 or taking care of his body. Look at Indian Wells last year - defeats Murray and Djokovic back-to-back to reach the final and then loses to Nadal in three tight sets. Maybe he is finally stepping it up? No. He is not. A week later, he loses in the first round in Miami to a relatively obscure opponent. He overdid himself during the European clay court season in 2013 and was then forced to pull out of Roland Garros. He had a decent run during the North American swing and loses to a 30+ year old past-his-prime Australian at the US Open. And to top it off, he gets outclassed and outplayed at the Australian Open a few weeks back, despite playing very well at Sydney a week prior.

He is too injury-prone, too unwise in his scheduling, and too inconsistent. The wrist injury ruined him.

Bailey01

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 25, 2013
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood Redlegs, Tennis
He just sits at the baseline and smacks it. I'll give it to him that his movement for a big guy is superb. But watch him when he gets a short ball - he'll just smack it and retreat to the baseline, and just re-set the rally. He has no form of net game at all.

And that is a major reason why he will never be number one.
Or win another slam

Back