Unpopular tennis-related opinions

Remove this Banner Ad

Re. Gavrilova, I'll be the first to admit I haven't given two shits about women's tennis for a while so this may be something that I should already know, but when the f*** did everyone decide she wasn't Daria anymore and is now Dasha?

About a year ago. Dasha is a common Russian nickname for Daria.

Don't understand the hate for fanatics/dimitrov fans/baghdatis fans etc, it'd be bland without them.

Fanatics especially have toned down the dickheadness the past few years.

Don't understand the hate for fanatics/dimitrov fans/baghdatis fans etc, it'd be bland without them.

totally agree, just hate the fanatics though for some reason. love the baghdatis dimitrov atmosphere on the showcourts. when baghdatis played wawrinka a few years ago the place was going off

Lleyton Hewitt's last match ever at last years AO, last change of ends with Ferrer to then serve for the match. Fanatics start a mexican wave. Nothing pro-Lleyton to try & pump him up. A. Mexican. Wave.

I miss the period of AO when the courts were green and they had flowers on the court for some reason. Keep the blue but bring back the god damn flowers.

Can I chime in that I absolutely despise the Federer wank that he gets, particularly the last set against Nadal, here in Australia. I get it, he's a great and all.. But seriously any one, I mean any one just jumped on the feel good story of RF and pretended they cared about tennis all of a sudden. It's painful watching whenever an opponent hits a shot long or into the net, RF's fans would cheer hard but if they do a great winner it's hardly much of an applause.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought the sponsors look was good

good point. Growing up with the Ford Australian Open it was easy to associate one with the other.

yt-21977-Boris-Becker-vs-Ivan-Lendl.-Australian-Open-1991.jpg

57323288.jpg

2nd-round-at-the-1996-ford-australian-open-at-flinders-park-in-won-picture-id1243491

tennis-ford-australian-open-championships-melbourne-g7h59m.jpg

tennis-ford-australian-open-melbourne-park-mixed-doubles-final-jared-g9ak8x.jpg

There was a period either back then or in recent times when it was hard to see the ball against the green court.

"Tennis is a tough sport, there's no draws but if there was I'd be happy to share it with Rafa tonight."

Praised universally as classy. Fed is a classy individual no doubt, but its easier to heap praise and say what they would do when it's impossible to do is easy when you win.

People who get so triggered about what the crowd do truly baffle me.

Depends what they're doing. Is it really baffling that people get annoyed when morons whistle and catcall right when a player is about to serve? Nothing against chanting and screaming between points but STFU when a player is beginning their service motion.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back