Unpopular tennis-related opinions

Remove this Banner Ad

That's as popular as it gets. Up himself, s**t commentator who fails to recognise how much the game has evolved and seems like a pretty ordinary person as well. Happy to rip into the current generation of players even though had he been playing now he would have had nowhere near the same amount of success. Can't stand him.
Loves asking a loaded question with fake naivety

i believe the australian open should be played on a different surface. despite the differences both the us open and aus open are played on a similar hard court surface and i think a new surface would add greater intrigue. if a player had the ability to win on all four different surfaces i think it would go a long way to them being amongst the greats

i believe the australian open should be played on a different surface. despite the differences both the us open and aus open are played on a similar hard court surface and i think a new surface would add greater intrigue. if a player had the ability to win on all four different surfaces i think it would go a long way to them being amongst the greats
US is on traditional hard court, Aus is on plexi-cushion. All four Grand Slams are different surfaces

Australian Open surface should be beach sand.

Nick Kyrgios was justified in his comments.

The Australian tennis loving public have mostly turned into politically correct scared of their own shadow weaklings.

I f***ing hate the intense fanaticism and media bias towards Roger Federer, and hate all the Federer fanboys who know nothing about the game outside of Roger Federer and the colour of his s**t. I despise how they get fascinated and obsessed over menial s**t like him playing with his babies, translating his emoticons on facebook, or eating birthday cake, yet know little about the game or any player ranked outside the top 4. Every tennis article is f***ing Roger Federer, even on the ATP website! Bruce MacAvaney leads this charge of sadistic fawning. And the US Open commentators aren't far behind.

Its bad for the game. The guy has made $90 million from prize money and who knows how much more from endorsements because of the bias from the media. Meanwhile the 70th best player in the world struggles to make a living and gets no attention. Kevin Anderson, the 14th best tennis player in the world, is still regarded as a "no one" by the world media FFS.

CNN.JPG
Meanwhile, Djokovic is by far and away the best and most consistent player in the world and has been for some time, yet as soon as Federer shows a rare and sporadic glimpse of his best form the whole world gets together and does a massive circle jerk. He is massively understated.

Last edited:
I totally understand your point Hudu Gurusingha and agree with most parts.

The thing with federer is that he transcends this sport. He will go down as one of the greatest sportsmen ever, not just in tennis. Every single group associated with him ride off his popularity to ensure the success of their brand. He is the most popular tennis player worldwide in terms of numbers probably ever.

Most tennis followers have a more in depth knowledge and interest in the sport and understand and appreciate the achievement of djokovic. He is an absolute star and my favourite player. But coming after federer and nadal was always going to be difficult, especially to get some attention away from their spotlight.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Zvonareva would have been a better World No. 1 than Wozniacki at that time. If she only she won one more match.
Andy Roddick gets too much s**t. Consistent top 10 player, basically won a title every year and was No. 1.
I like big serving. More fun than grind out rallies.

But not criticized enough as a coach.

Unfairly criticised as a coach as well. His time with Dimitrov goes completely against the narrative. Besides, I'm not sure how it's possible for him to be criticised any more than he already is. His supposed lack of ability in that area is brought up every time his name is mentioned.

Roger Rasheed gets unfairly criticised as a commentator.
I don't actually mind him as a commentator either. Not fantastic but if I'm choosing between him or other assorted channel 7 knobs he wins out every time (which probably isn't that much of a compliment, but still.)

Woodbridge potting Almagro about pulling out and still taking $50k - I am far more concerned with women getting equal prizemoney for putting up pathetic showings.

Classic example:

Svetlana Kuznetsova smashed her opponent 6-0 6-1 in 56 minutes. Her opponent picks up $50k.

Alex De Minaur & Melzer spent nearly 4 hours on court in an epic 5 setter yet Meltzer will only walk away with $50k.

Equal prizemoney is ridiculous.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back