glenferry23

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 26, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal, New York Yankees
Sure it will be fun, but won’t lie, am least enthused about the idea of an Obi-Wan/Vader rematch. There’s a clear implication in the movies that the Jedi are thought extinct, therefore that Vader assumed Obi-Wan was dead. Him finding out he’s alive after Order 66 means he has to ‘fake’ his death again.

Not a fan of tinkering with the mythology for fan service. Would prefer Inquisitors hunting Jedi found Obi-Wan but that he kills him before he can report back. You still get the Jedi action without messing with the story too much.

All valid points and I’ve been wondering as well how will another encounter between them fit in appropriately with the established narrative. It’s quite ambiguous though with their dialogue in ANH (“we meet again at last” for example, how long a period of time that is, I don’t know).

“When I left you I was but the learner” however to me clearly refers to their duel. That might be a troublesome point to overcome

Obi-Wan didn’t fake his death however in ROTS, he was last seen walking away from Anakin on Mustafar. So not sure that Vader would have assumed he was dead, he was the last person to see him (albeit Obi-Wan wouldn’t have left him alive if he thought Anakin would survive).

Overall though, one of biggest problems I’ve had is how Obi-Wan and Yoda just excuse themselves and sit on the bench after ROTS as the Empire rules the galaxy. Being in a position to do something about it, but not doing so. In that respect, I’m intrigued to see what/how/if they did try again to defeat the Sith during that very long (and largely unexplored) 20 year gap between episode 3 and 4.

Feb 26, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
All valid points and I’ve been wondering as well how will another encounter between them fit in appropriately with the established narrative. It’s quite ambiguous though with their dialogue in ANH (“we meet again at last” for example, how long a period of time that is, I don’t know).

“When I left you I was but the learner” however to me clearly refers to their duel. That might be a troublesome point to overcome

Obi-Wan didn’t fake his death however in ROTS, he was last seen walking away from Anakin on Mustafar. So not sure that Vader would have assumed he was dead, he was the last person to see him (albeit Obi-Wan wouldn’t have left him alive if he thought Anakin would survive).

Overall though, one of biggest problems I’ve had is how Obi-Wan and Yoda just excuse themselves and sit on the bench after ROTS as the Empire rules the galaxy. Being in a position to do something about it, but not doing so. In that respect, I’m intrigued to see what/how/if they did try again to defeat the Sith during that very long (and largely unexplored) 20 year gap between episode 3 and 4.
“When I left you I was but the learner” surely refers to when he left the Jedi Order.

Timeline still checks out imo

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
Some of this Disney stuff is going the way of the EU and filling in gaps with unnecessary stuff.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast

Agree with much of this, and SM’s post as well. It doesn’t directly contradict anything but there’s a clear implication that the Empire consider the Jedi extinct, which means they must believe Obi-Wan and Yoda to be dead. The implication is that Vader hasn’t seen Obi-Wan in a long time, not six to eight years. It won’t create a clear narrative flaw but I just think it goes against the intent of the earlier films. And I don’t think it’s wholly necessary, as I said, they could have used the inquisitors instead of Vader for Jedi drama. Still, looking forward to it though.

My concerns are probably amplified because they are leaning too much on the past (Obi-Wan, Lando, Boba Fett) and not looking forward to completely new adventures for my liking.

Sep 26, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Agree with much of this, and SM’s post as well. It doesn’t directly contradict anything but there’s a clear implication that the Empire consider the Jedi extinct, which means they must believe Obi-Wan and Yoda to be dead. The implication is that Vader hasn’t seen Obi-Wan in a long time, not six to eight years. It won’t create a clear narrative flaw but I just think it goes against the intent of the earlier films. And I don’t think it’s wholly necessary, as I said, they could have used the inquisitors instead of Vader for Jedi drama. Still, looking forward to it though.

My concerns are probably amplified because they are leaning too much on the past (Obi-Wan, Lando, Boba Fett) and not looking forward to completely new adventures for my liking.
Well they ****ed up on the sequels which is why they are trying to win back fans and relying on nostalgia to save their cash cow

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Even prequel haters will praise Ewan, so the Obi Wan series could be seen as a redemption project for him.

Lando series, I genuinely think that Glover is a great fit the role and it's also good to do some Lando stuff while Billy Dee is still with us. It is a bit left field though

The surprising one was Boba Fett, I didn't expect it and it feels the one that's most giving in to fan service I reckon. It would have been easier to move on with his death in ROTJ being permanent. That's clear Disney trying to win fans back with nostalgia.

Could be that when Anakin 'left' Obi-Wan is when he turned to the Dark Side, and now Anakin is the master. Doesn't necessarily refer to the last time they met.

Sorry my post if anything was in support of another meeting, during which Vader believes Obi-Wan has then died.

glenferry23

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 26, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams

I recall after the Disney acquisition, they were talking up how huge the Star Wars galaxy is and all of the endless possibilities for new stories etc to explore. However they just haven’t been able to deliver, the sequels amounted to very little (episode 9 is just an abomination of a movie) and hence the safer move has been to steer back to fan favourites.

Yes the OT certainly did imply there’s no Jedi at all, I believe Tarkin had dialogue pretty much saying that. It’s not entirely implausible though that some slipped through the cracks.

I mean Palpatine himself was the last to see Yoda, his clonetroopers couldn’t find his body, he tells them to double their search and then is quickly off Mustafar as he senses Vader in danger. He’d be foolish to presume Yoda dead unless he killed him himself or cited his body.

There’s a nice area in that 20 year gap that this series can operate within that if done right, shouldn’t negate or disrupt what came before.

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Everything that happened between 3 and 4 has to be on a small scale though. We know that for 20 years the empire rules without significant challenge. There can't be any 'big' events, R1 even suggested this before having a significant event which it gets away with due to proximity to Star Wars.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jul 19, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Atlanta Falcons/Winnipeg Jets
I recall after the Disney acquisition, they were talking up how huge the Star Wars galaxy is and all of the endless possibilities for new stories etc to explore. However they just haven’t been able to deliver, the sequels amounted to very little (episode 9 is just an abomination of a movie) and hence the safer move has been to steer back to fan favourites.

Yes the OT certainly did imply there’s no Jedi at all, I believe Tarkin had dialogue pretty much saying that. It’s not entirely implausible though that some slipped through the cracks.

I mean Palpatine himself was the last to see Yoda, his clonetroopers couldn’t find his body, he tells them to double their search and then is quickly off Mustafar as he senses Vader in danger. He’d be foolish to presume Yoda dead unless he killed him himself or cited his body.

There’s a nice area in that 20 year gap that this series can operate within that if done right, shouldn’t negate or disrupt what came before.
Or give us an original story set a thousand years either side of 200 BBY and 100 ABY

glenferry23

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 26, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Or give us an original story set a thousand years either side of 200 BBY and 100 ABY

Yes that seems the direction it’s headed in. Perhaps involving Grogu down the track. There’s also that High Republic era that they’re publishing (I haven’t read any myself as yet).

I did wonder if there’d be some kind of announcement about this during the investor day on Friday. The only major Star Wars thing to be covered was the Obi-Wan first look.

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast

It’s not a deal breaker, but it just feels like they are diminishing the storyline about the fall of the Jedi and Luke being the last. It’s the same reason I’m not enthused about an Ahsoka series; there’s supposed to be no Jedi left but here’s one that’s been sitting on her bum during the Empire’s reign but hey, she’s not ‘technically’ a Jedi. They want to set these shows in a familiar time but still have Jedi boss fights so they look for narrative workarounds that ignore a major part of the films’ mythology.

It’s a shame Lucasfilm got spooked and didn’t have the courage of their convictions. I get plenty didn’t like TLJ but it clearly was working to set up a galaxy beyond the familiar characters, RJ signed on to do a wholly original trilogy, then they got a backlash, threw their hands up and said, ‘look, it’s Obi-Wan, Lando, Boba Fett, Luke with a green lightsaber’. They’ve lowered their eyes and I think we’re getting less interesting content as a result. Hopefully Rogue Squadron and Taika’s film can get them to increase their ambitions.

It’s not a deal breaker, but it just feels like they are diminishing the storyline about the fall of the Jedi and Luke being the last. It’s the same reason I’m not enthused about an Ahsoka series; there’s supposed to be no Jedi left but here’s one that’s been sitting on her bum during the Empire’s reign but hey, she’s not ‘technically’ a Jedi. They want to set these shows in a familiar time but still have Jedi boss fights so they look for narrative workarounds that ignore a major part of the films’ mythology.

It’s a shame Lucasfilm got spooked and didn’t have the courage of their convictions. I get plenty didn’t like TLJ but it clearly was working to set up a galaxy beyond the familiar characters, RJ signed on to do a wholly original trilogy, then they got a backlash, threw their hands up and said, ‘look, it’s Obi-Wan, Lando, Boba Fett, Luke with a green lightsaber’. They’ve lowered their eyes and I think we’re getting less interesting content as a result. Hopefully Rogue Squadron and Taika’s film can get them to increase their ambitions.
Obi Wan has been in the works since basically the acquisition, as was Boba Fett. Lando clearly a response to the reaction to his portrayal in Solo. I don't think it's the worst but also highlights how little people warmed to the ST characters.

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Jack can argue some of the ST concepts are sound and I'd even agree, but there's no arguing that all of the characters were butchered across all three films, yes all three, TLJ done it's share of butchering of the new protagonists too.

glenferry23

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 26, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams

From memory an Obi-Wan project was on the cards well before the backlash to the sequels. Was originally going to be a film I recall. “A Star Wars story” type thing. But now it’s a series.

Ahsoka is at least consistent with him and Yoda in that respect. Sitting on the sidelines. I understand you’re point about not having any Jedi out there in the galaxy. However they’re quite inactive and in that respect, ineffectual to what we saw during the OT.

R1 had a pseudo Jedi but it was largely successful, as was Solo, with a Jedi free Star Wars.

Solo was successful? I may have read this post wrong.

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
From memory, they wanted to do a film every year, alternating between the sequels or new content like RJ’s proposed trilogy, and Star Wars ‘Story’ films. If they had gone through with that, with a ‘new’ film every second year, then leaning on nostalgia in the other years would have been fine. But they appear to have largely abandoned new content. As I say, hopefully the new movies address that.

I don’t have any inherent problem with an Obi-Wan story, there’s demand there. Lando as well. Boba Fett strikes me as wholly unnecessary and just pandering to a small section of the fan base. It just appears to be too much nostalgia too quickly. That’s why The Acolyte excites me a little more than the other announced series.

I reckon Solo was the first indication that the template was wrong. Rogue One made sense to launch additional movies with a nostalgia kick, reintroduce fans to something familiar, but although the sequels were new content, they were heavy on the nostalgia too. The next standalone movie after R1 should have been something fresh, all new characters telling a different story, like a KOTOR or an X-Wing film showing how they toppled the Empire on Coruscant.

Sep 26, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
I agree to a point with Jack it would be nice if they could focus on the future instead of relying on the nostalgic…to an extent the Mandolorian did that in pricing a successful story to bend in new elements with nostalgicZ
It’s a pity that they not only butchered the character development and future storyline’s with the sequels trilogy that I think they have lost confidence in what direction to take future Star Wars films in.

it’s a shame as there is so much potential in future films that they haven’t set themselves up for future films

Aug 13, 2006
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Sure it will be fun, but won’t lie, am least enthused about the idea of an Obi-Wan/Vader rematch. There’s a clear implication in the movies that the Jedi are thought extinct, therefore that Vader assumed Obi-Wan was dead. Him finding out he’s alive after Order 66 means he has to ‘fake’ his death again.

Not a fan of tinkering with the mythology for fan service. Would prefer Inquisitors hunting Jedi found Obi-Wan but that he kills him before he can report back. You still get the Jedi action without messing with the story too much.

For once, I agree with you ;)

I worry that in fleshing this out, they’ll create new problems.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back