Streaming Lord of the Rings: Rings of Power - Amazon Lord of the Rings prequel due early September 2022

Streaming Television

Remove this Banner Ad

Some news: Middle Earth will be returning to our screens on September 2, 2022 in the yet-to-be-titled series.

My prediction is this will suck balls.

Geez you'd hope it doesn't suck with a $465m budget, or at least Amazon would hope it doesn't

Who is the primary antagonist? Is it Sauron or the one before him?

There are a few (epic) stories in that book but if they're going back to the first age it'll be Morgoth (Melkor). I have no idea what the show's focus is though so take that with a grain of salt.

Geez you'd hope it doesn't suck with a $465m budget, or at least Amazon would hope it doesn't

The big budget is what give me the hope for it.

Apparently, they've just finished filming it in NZ. It's set 1000 years before LOTR according to the article I read about it yesterday and will cost them over $60 million an episode once it's done. By comparison, GoT cost around $20 million an episode.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It'll be interesting to see how much attention they give to the "bad guys", as someone mentioned earlier in the thread that Tolkien bad guys are pretty one-dimensional, whereas audiences today are looking for different shades of good/evil.

It'll be interesting to see how much attention they give to the "bad guys", as someone mentioned earlier in the thread that Tolkien bad guys are pretty one-dimensional, whereas audiences today are looking for different shades of good/evil.

Depends on which stories they cover.

There was always that premise that good people can be turned bad but also be redeemed.

If you're into Middle Earth you're into good v evil anyway.

I was hoping for some of The Silmarillion. Epic stories are epic. Not happening though.
Would be very hard to adapt to TV I imagine in terms of scale. A lot of stories, big battles, huge dragons, balrogs, etc. The second and third ages I image are much easier to adapt.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back