Untold - Malice in the Palace. A Netflix original. August 10.

Thanks to bigfooty hall of famer nufan for alerting us to this.

The documentary brings you the startling untold story of what transpired on that fateful 2004 day. Here we here from the participants, protagonists and punchers as they explain what really went on in Detroit.

From the company that co-brought you "The Last Dance", Netflix will screen this fly on the wall documentary on August 10. Check your local guides.

ron1.jpg

Nigeria coach Mike Brown tries to help Ron Ron achieve zen. Lover not a hater Austin Croshere employing a more tactile approach.

Last edited:

Richard Cranium

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2008
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
PHX
I was at home watching it live. I always used to tape games back then (2004, what a time), so I have the VHS stored away somewhere, either the live broadcast or the evening replay.

I think Grantland (RIP) did an oral history of it back in the day. Maybe for the 10th anniversary. Was a good read. Pretty sure once they were all back in the rooms, Artest said something like "you guys reckon we'll get fined for that?"

I didn't think it was that great to be honest. Didn’t really add anything that wasn't known. Came across as Pacers players woe is us doco. Sure they copped it rough and Pistons organisation should have taken a lot more of the blame but Pacers were hardly innocent.

I enjoyed it. Brought back so many memories of that day watching it unfold then the coverage thereafter.

The VHS, grainy as VHS. Man kids dont know how good it is these days with the HD 4K.

The music was unsettling and helped shape the mood. Felt like you there.

Best bit was Metta winning an NBA title :D

Not what I expected, I thought it was good not great.

Some of the fans involved were just absolute flogs.

I still say Ben Wallace got off light he started that with the carry on after the rough foul.

A decent watch, nothing outstanding but was ok to watch for an hour.
Jermaine came across very well, he spoke honestly and i felt for him.
Captain was a flog, like he usually is, so that didn't surprise me.

Yep the one I really felt for in the whole episode.

DT_35

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 14, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Denver, Liverpool
Just finished watching it.

Any coincidence Tim Donaghy was one of the refs? He and his mates probably had the Detroit line, whilst planting John Green in the stadium to cause mayhem and have the game ultimately cancelled and bets refunded 😎😉

It might sound bizarre, but I was lucky enough to watch it live back in the day. I found the doco did not actually come across with just how tense the situation was. They kept showing just 3-4 second cuts of the incidents with a narration, it didn't come across how completely out of control everything was all over the floor and in the stands and in the races. s**t was happening everywhere constantly.

Back