35Daicos

Premium Platinum
Mar 6, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood (VFL), Man Utd.
captain of South adelaide, vice captain of Sturt, played in the All Australian carnival in sydney
What he was doing in the years inbetween playing his one game for collingwood and all this
we'll never know
AustralianFootball.com has him at South Adelaide in 1907:
1555779430598.png

He obviously turned into a very good footballer, but at that stage (1905-06) he would have been a virtual unknown who had played one game for Collingwood as an 18 year old, and he might have just played local/junior level football for the next couple of years. I don't know when he went to Adelaide, but it was probably only in 1907, and it seems he made a name for himself quite quickly there.

Not exactly in the Ron Todd category, but he may still have been one that "got away" from Collingwood!! I find it a very interesting story overall, especially now that I know he tried to return to his old club so many years later.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

GreyCrow

Hall of Famer
Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, Redskins , White Sox
This name being thrown up has worked out very well!! I received a very nice email from Michael Roberts [Collingwood History & Archives Manager] earlier today. Whereas they didn't have a photo of the player previously, they now have several to pick from (and have one up on his Collingwood Forever page). Michael said "He looks very similar to Bertie McDougall, who played for us in 1910, so I wonder if they're brothers? We'll do some more digging."

I've checked Vic BDM and there was no sign of a birth reg. for Darcy, but Bertie (Bertram) was there in 1890, with Matilda (nee Curtis) and Malcolm as parents. Wikipedia says the two McDougall's who played for Collingwood were born at Clifton Hill and died in NSW, making it seem reasonably likely. A check of their death registrations on NSW BDM basically confirms the two are brothers:
View attachment 645800
View attachment 645801
That represents a really good result, I would say!! Incidentally, The Encyclopedia leaves Bertie McDougall (he only played the one game as well) out completely.
As a follow up and confirmation of Darcy Vincent being 'doug' I think we can use Sands and McDougall 1905 entry for Malcolm at 20 Berry St Clifton Hill

The 1920 entry has Darcy at 19 Gordon St Clifton Hill (Berry and Gordon are intersected by Ramsden St)

Darcy Vincent McDougall married Caroline Emma Davis in 1908 in Adelaide reg district

Vera Evelyn born 1908 and Raymond Malcom born 1910.No more births appear in SA BDM for this couple

This obit link names Darcy and Bertram as brothers to Raymond son of Matilda and Malcolm http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article203283116 of Berry St Clifton Hill

No deaths for these names on SA BDM

GreyCrow

Hall of Famer
Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, Redskins , White Sox
AustralianFootball.com has him at South Adelaide in 1907:
View attachment 658809
He obviously turned into a very good footballer, but at that stage (1905-06) he would have been a virtual unknown who had played one game for Collingwood as an 18 year old, and he might have just played local/junior level football for the next couple of years. I don't know when he went to Adelaide, but it was probably only in 1907, and it seems he made a name for himself quite quickly there.

Not exactly in the Ron Todd category, but he may still have been one that "got away" from Collingwood!! I find it a very interesting story overall, especially now that I know he tried to return to his old club so many years later.
The things we come was cross. Standing in the South Adelaide football club and spot DV McDougall as captain in 1909. South finished 7th and DV ends up at Sturt in 1910

35Daicos

Premium Platinum
Mar 6, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood (VFL), Man Utd.
Last edited:
Top Bottom